Teenage Engineering OP-1
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 19-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Bhg1987
Regular Freak
Bhg1987 will become famous soon enoughBhg1987 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Teenage Engineering OP-1

Im thinking of buying an OP-1 soon. Looks like a quirky and capable device, and its small and portable, which is important to me. From reading the specs and user reviews I think I have a sense of what it is capable of. However, user demos on the net tend to be some kind of cheesy club music, which is not really my thing.

Anyone of you fine gents using an OP-1? If so, what is your workflow and what kind of sounds do you use it for? Im also interested in any sound or video clips featuring the OP-1.

Thanks

Advertisements

Bhg1987 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478508
Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,050 Posts
Re: Teenage engineering OP-1

Forumite D_Davis has one and posted raving comments and a few tracks in the Hardware thread.
Another one is Grain bastard, again, he posted a great glitch track in The Hardware Thread.
So, guess which thread should you check next?

Yes, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
!

If I were you I'd start from the end, those songs were posted last week I think...

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
Grain Bastard (19-06-2013)
Old 19-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Hey there. Here are a couple of tracks I made on the OP-1 that aren't dance/techno in any way.

This one was made on the OP-1 and Nave (iPad app), mixed in Live.

This one was made all on the OP-1.

I actually don't like the OP-1 for dance-style music. I don't think it works very well for stuff that needs to be so tempo-synced. I mainly use it for ambient stuff, as you can see in this video:

It's an expensive device, but worth every penny. It and the iPad have completely changed the way I make music - easily the two best instruments I've ever purchased. I take both with me everywhere I go. I no longer have a "studio" - everywhere is my studio.

Should note, though, that the OP-1 has some strange quirks, the weirdest one being the noise that comes out of the headphone jack. You'll need high impedance head phones, or a headphone amp with volume control to get it under control. Also, some of the f/x are super noisy. It's all part of the device's charm and character; some people like it and can deal with it, others can't, and for the price I understand.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D_Davis
PROton42 (19-06-2013)
Old 19-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts

Haha. You guys are making me want an OP-1 again.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Bhg1987
Regular Freak

Automageddon: thanks, I'll check it out!

D_davis: that video is pretty good! I cant see the tracks you posted, though (probably cause Im on my ipad).

Im not too worried about the limitations and lo-fi aspects, as I tend to be more creative working with limitations. Glad too hear its working good with the Ipad, as I was thinking of use my ipad as a sound module, samling it with the OP-1.
Old 19-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
jeenyus
Learning The Ropes
jeenyus will become famous soon enoughjeenyus will become famous soon enough

I had one for awhile and used it while traveling. Its an amazing workstation for traveling and the battery life on it makes it an amazing little workstation for on the go. Its super fun and easy to learn. BUT it sounds kinda like a toy. all the sounds that it produces are very digital sounding. making music strickly on the op-1 will probably not impress you but if you have a laptop and just use the op-1 to get some quick synth lines down and knock out a drum beat and use it as a midi controller with some neat synths to fiddle with and do the rest of the processing and arranging on your laptop you will probably be happy. If you want this as the all in one workstation on the go you probably aren't going to be super happy. Its a really really really cool device and if you have the money and a laptop already you will have alot of fun with it.
Plus the helicopter game alone is worth $850!
jeenyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

I would argue that it sounds nothing like a toy - it's a tool. It'll sound as good as the user makes it, as is evident in the tracks and videos I posted.

Also, nothing wrong with something that sounds digital, especially if it is a...wait for it...digital synthesizer. Why would someone buy a digital synth and want it to not sound digital? One of the parameters on one of the synth engines is called "Digitalness" LOL. It's an entirely digital synth - it doesn't even pretend to be analog with OSCs or VCAs or even traditional filters. If you want something that sounds analog, the OP-1 is not that device. Digital should never be used as a negative, because that suggests that the only positive is analog, which is absolutely false. FM and digital synthesis is as viable as analog. Again, it just depends on how the user uses the tools at hand.

However, nothing wrong with toys. I just don't like calling my instruments toys. They are tools used to craft sound projects.

I do agree that it's best used in conjunction with something else. I wouldn't want it to be my only source of sounds, but coupled with an iPad it's pretty much all you would ever need.

------------------
Old 19-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
jeenyus
Learning The Ropes

Your right its a tool and a very powerful user friendly tool at that.

The point i was trying to make was on its own the op-1 doesnt sound amazing. You need something else to beef up the sound and bring it to life.
Im not saying it sounds bad but using strictly in the box sounds on an op-1 to make a track isn't going to produce a polished sounding song.

I bought it thinking I could use it as an on the go workstation and was unhappy with using it on it's own.
Old 19-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
D_Davis
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeenyus View Post

The point i was trying to make was on its own the op-1 doesnt sound amazing. You need something else to beef up the sound and bring it to life.
Im not saying it sounds bad but using strictly in the box sounds on an op-1 to make a track isn't going to produce a polished sounding song.

I bought it thinking I could use it as an on the go workstation and was unhappy with using it on it's own.
I can see this. It's a great additional instrument to accompany something else.

------------------
Old 19-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
D_Davis
Seattle

The OP-1 is the Nintendo of the music world. It's great for what it does, and nothing else does what it does as well, but I wouldn't want it to be my only device.

------------------
Old 19-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Bhg1987
Regular Freak

D_davis: when using the OP-1 and ipad, are you sampling the ipad into the OP-1?
Or the otherway around?
Old 19-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
jeenyus
Learning The Ropes

"The OP-1 is the Nintendo of the music world. It's great for what it does, and nothing else does what it does as well, but I wouldn't want it to be my only device."

I fully agree!
I really wish i could get some of the op-1 synths in a vst form ha. Its pretty cool to be able to create such a wide range of sounds from 4 knobs.
Old 19-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
D_Davis
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhg1987 View Post
D_davis: when using the OP-1 and ipad, are you sampling the ipad into the OP-1?
Or the otherway around?
I'm usually using the OP-1 as a controller, and layering Animoog or Nave along with the OP-1.

Although I also sample, but it goes both ways. Sometimes I'll compose a piece on the 4-track in the OP-1, and then transfer that to the Samplr app, and sometimes I'll create a sound on the iPad, and sample that on the OP-1. It really just depends on my mood.

------------------
Old 19-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
D_Davis
Seattle

Quote:
I fully agree!
I really wish i could get some of the op-1 synths in a vst form ha. Its pretty cool to be able to create such a wide range of sounds from 4 knobs.
The entire thing could be a kick ass iPad app.

------------------
Old 19-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhg1987 View Post
Automageddon: thanks, I'll check it out!

D_davis: that video is pretty good! I cant see the tracks you posted, though (probably cause Im on my ipad).

Im not too worried about the limitations and lo-fi aspects, as I tend to be more creative working with limitations. Glad too hear its working good with the Ipad, as I was thinking of use my ipad as a sound module, samling it with the OP-1.
That is exactly how I mainly use mine. I also make beats on the OP-1 and just use the iPad as a synth and jam over the beat, resample, cut it up, resequence etc. I also use an X-mini2 speaker as a monitor as the OP-1 speaker is terrible. You just activate the input on one of the tape tracks and the line audio comes thru, controlled by the OP-1 mixer but I'm not sure if the latest update allows you to route it thru the onboard effects but you can record whatever you hear and effect that.

The last track I posted to my soundcloud was all OP-1 but only sampled from whatever was on the radio at the time - I then drop the 4 waves files from the OP-1 tape machine into cubase for eq & compression. (link in my sig if you want to listen)

Not really sure about the 'toy' comments either - I think a lot of that comes from the fact that its small. Ipads get the same treatment. The large majority of the demo videos on the net seem to be chiptune style which also doesn't help but the synths are digital and lend themselves to that style. The synths aren't analog emulations, so the sampler is the only real option for those which obviously comes with limitations - having the ipad too definitely fills sonic gaps (with some suitable apps of course) but as Daniel said, its never going to be the only synth you ever need - I probably could use it to do a rather limited job of 'everything' and make a whole track with it but arranging and mixing on even the most basic of DAW's would be so much easier, so why bother - I'm guessing its a moot point as most people who have the cash for an OP-1 is probably not just starting out or looking to replace their existing setup but rather add to it. If you have no gear whatsoever and 670 to spend for fucks sake buy a pc first!!! 300 laptop, 150 interface, Reaper and all the free vsts the net has to offer has surely got to be the biggest 'racket-per-paypacket' ratio for electronic music. If you are away from your DAW you can imo use the OP-1 to create really usable material for use later when you are in the studio.

An Ipad is imo way more capable than the OP-1 - more synths, better audio sequencers, more memory etc which makes it all the more strange that I have both and use the OP-1 more for music. I honestly don't know why because I'm normally quite a rational person and will always go and get a bigger hammer if the job needs it, yet I just love seeing what I can get out of the OP-1. Its made its way onto every track I've made since I got it too, so I'm happy with the purchase. Definitely not for everyone but I think if you're thinking about one (like I was), you will end up liking it - buying one from recommendations might not be such a good idea

It's a Marmite synth

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Grain Bastard
D_Davis (19-06-2013)
Old 19-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
D_Davis
Seattle

Two things - the OP-1 is AWESOME for plinky-plonky music.

And, the cool-factor is off the carts. I play it on the bus during my commute a lot, and people are always asking about it.

------------------
Thanks to D_Davis
alphx (24-02-2015)
Old 19-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC

Quote:

Just to clear up, my point about the 'toy' comments in the post above wasn't aimed at you but was supposed to back up your points. I just read it back and it looked like I was having a go, that's not my intention

My post is aimed at the 'net' general consensus that the OP-1 is a toy and I rambled on over the same ground you covered. Sorry if it made you sad.

You're right, the lack of basic mixing tools limits the quality of finished tracks but the stems imo are excellent quality - when I drop the files from the tape into cubase just really simple eq and compression is all I do, maybe a touch of reverb - The audio springs to life and sounds as good as my MD & Mopho when processed the same. And to be honest, those two devices sound poor if just dry recordings - Proper mixing is always the way for polished sounds.

I know me and Daniel keep saying this but an Ipad & OP-1 makes such a powerful, fun, creative, portable, flexible and cool combo, we may repeat ourselves from time to time

------------------
Old 19-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47860

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post

Also, nothing wrong with something that sounds digital, especially if it is a...wait for it...digital synthesizer.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
The entire thing could be a kick ass iPad app.
Ha ha, no shit - its called Samplr

Did you ever have the V1.0 of the app when it was white?? It was partly to blame for my OP-1 ownership and I now feel that I should be able to have that skin back now I've paid up!!! lol - Maybe an in-app purchase that you could redeem a code if you own an OP-1 to unlock it.

When Midi sync is done I imagine those two being a combo I will use a lot, grey or white!

White would be better tho

------------------
Old 19-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
D_Davis
Seattle

I wish Samplr was white - that's would look slick!

Advertisements

------------------