Minimoog Model D is back - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 20-05-2016, 05:09 AM   #21
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5810
Re: Minimoog Model D is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
To be clear I'm not exactly anti-Moog. And yes, the have some more affordable synths and relatively speaking their instruments are more afforadable these days than they used to be. Praxaxias' first post here is very spot on. I guess I'm more about looking forward, rather than looking back. I look at something like the DSI Pro 2 and become completely uninterested in another straightforward monosynth.

I do think Moog make high quality instruments that certainly have their own character. From what I've heard though, in the mix, I can't see spending the money on a Moog when I've got NI Monark. As for the TB3, again, in the mix I can't tell the difference. I've heard lots of great music made with those TB3s. I'm sure Roland are perfetcly capable of recreating the 303. They chose not too. Honestly, the market is pretty flooded with mid priced fairly faithful recreations already. Roland were in a good position to make something less expensive/not botique at entry level prices.

Anyway, I'm getting off track and derailing the thread again lol. I'm sure tons of Moog fans are stoked about this and I ain't trying to shit in anyone's cereal.

I'm more of a black pudding man than cereal. which some would say is not far off being shit anyway.

I'm definitely a Moog fanboy. But they're not the be-all-and-end-all. We live in a nice time where there are oodles of possibilities as far as synths go, software and hardware, there's definitely better options depending on what you need exactly. Moogs are really nice if you're a keys player. . . I can't think of many other analogue monos which play so nicely.

Advertisements

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #22
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

^And that is certainly a huge point for performers. I'm not a player, but when I got my first synth with a decent keybed, I had an epiphany in that regard. Its a real pleasure, even for a simple noodler like myself, to play a really nice set of keys!

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Praxisaxis (20-05-2016)
Old 20-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #23
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

Bleh.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #24
2oo3
Radial Developer
2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future
Mechelen
MC Status: 1510

Am I the only one who conciders Moog as the Apple of synth's.
There really good, but man, is it really worth the price.
1) I want polly on a hardware synth, at this age of time for those prices.
2) Well that's about it, really

I'm prepared for:shitstorm:
2oo3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 2oo3
mnkvolcno (20-05-2016)
Old 20-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #25
2oo3
Radial Developer
2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future
Mechelen
MC Status: 1510

Quote:
^And that is certainly a huge point for performers. I'm not a player, but when I got my first synth with a decent keybed, I had an epiphany in that regard. Its a real pleasure, even for a simple noodler like myself, to play a really nice set of keys!
Seems a bit "against midi attitude" what's wrong with a midi-cable and a descent keyboard?
/* Edit */
Sorry, Wrong quote.
It's about the post above.

I'm not the most focused man on this forum

Last edited by 2oo3; 20-05-2016 at 12:05 PM..
2oo3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 2oo3
relic (22-05-2016)
Old 20-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #26
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64160
Thanked 1,283 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:

I do think Moog make high quality instruments that certainly have their own character. From what I've heard though, in the mix, I can't see spending the money on a Moog when I've got NI Monark. As for the TB3, again, in the mix I can't tell the difference. I've heard lots of great music made with those TB3s. I'm sure Roland are perfetcly capable of recreating the 303. They chose not too. Honestly, the market is pretty flooded with mid priced fairly faithful recreations already. Roland were in a good position to make something less expensive/not botique at entry level.
I personally think that the TB-3 should have incorporated more flexibility, such as a choice of FX and more control over envelopes. The Env mod is already on the touch screen. It does sound convincing, however and no argument on price.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #27
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31910

Quote:
To be clear I'm not exactly anti-Moog. And yes, the have some more affordable synths and relatively speaking their instruments are more afforadable these days than they used to be. Praxaxias' first post here is very spot on. I guess I'm more about looking forward, rather than looking back. I look at something like the DSI Pro 2 and become completely uninterested in another straightforward monosynth.

I do think Moog make high quality instruments that certainly have their own character. From what I've heard though, in the mix, I can't see spending the money on a Moog when I've got NI Monark. As for the TB3, again, in the mix I can't tell the difference. I've heard lots of great music made with those TB3s. I'm sure Roland are perfetcly capable of recreating the 303. They chose not too. Honestly, the market is pretty flooded with mid priced fairly faithful recreations already. Roland were in a good position to make something less expensive/not botique at entry level prices.

Anyway, I'm getting off track and derailing the thread again lol. I'm sure tons of Moog fans are stoked about this and I ain't trying to shit in anyone's cereal.
I just got a moog slim phatty in a trade. Not as impressed with it as I expected. It's just kind of bland to me, and I dig analog stuff. Turned on my old one oscillator Roland sh-09, and realized I just like the Roland sound so much more. And honestly, I've never been that big of a fan of the ladder filter, even though everyone acts like it's somehow superior to other filters.

But yea, I'm looking forward too. Next synth I get will be elektron four.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #28
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Moog could make something cool and afforadble, but their customers don't want that.
Mother 32.

Can't imagine why anyone would want a reissue Model D over a Voyager or Sub 37. In terms of synthesis, the Model D is a few giant steps backwards when compared to those two.

Really looking forward to when this overload of nostalgia and reissues subsides.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #29
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
They also put out some great software. Which is both forward thinking and affordable. So they can't be criticised for not doing that.
Animoog is the best thing Moog has made since the 1970s.

I'd kill for a dedicated hardware version of Animoog, with a good UI and lots of controls. I'd pay good money for that. One of the most forwarding pointing synths of modern times.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #30
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238279

Quote:
It's probably worth keeping in mind that prices on synths have come down dramatically since the first Model D. Even without accounting for inflation this looks like it'll retail for less than the original. Electronics used to be much more expensive.
Yes. Because we have invented numerous improvements to the manufacturing process. We have assembly lines, we have precision instruments to test our electronic parts, we have much better knowledge of metallurgy, and our economy of scale is on a whole another planet. We can make great monosynths for less than $3500 - hell, Moog can make great monosynths for less than $3500.

Quote:
Also again. . . if you're a trumpeter, you're looking at $5000 for a pro instrument. If you're a cellist, you could be looking at something the price of a new luxury car. And don't get me started on high end grand pianos, which go for the price of a house.
The main difference here is that professionally made instruments, from propelly cured wood and good varnishes actually sound better. The minimoog is not going to sound better because it gets hand made. If anything, the solder joints will be worse on average than good quality factory-made. And the fact that those new ones are "hand-made" is total bullshit. I bet those PCBs are printed, rather than hand-drawn with solder. I bet that those panels have been manufactured with machines, rathen than hand-carved. I bet that the components, from resistors and capacitors to the potentiometers and knobs are factory-produced. The new minimoog is just about as hand made as, well, literally any small-production-run electronics, where it is not feasible to set up an automated production line. In other words, it's likely just about as "hand-made" as your pocket radio. There is no reason to believe it imparts some magic on the sound, apart from placebo effect.

Don't even get me started on the craze for vintage and old classical music instruments. Which, for a decent part of it, is bullshit. Especially in the case of violins - where violinists themselves cannot tell Stradivari apart from modern violins. Actually, let me take that back - they can, and in a blind test they prefer the new ones. For further information, see [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Many "professional-concert-quality", upper cost range instruments are not even particularly better than cheaper ones. But let me quote Kevin Lee here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lee
Note: There are many symphonies that will not accept your application unless you are playing upon a violin worth at least $15,000, many much higher, no matter how good you or your instrument may sound.

//

In other words, I have played upon an $800 “unknown” violin that performed better than most Stradivari's, also upon a Stradivari (one of the finest condition, most original examples of his work) that sounded “awful” no matter how many times it was adjusted or what strings were placed on it.Yet, as it was explained to me by a connoisseur early in my career, “And what will happen if you sell that $800 violin for a million dollars and it loses its voice? What's it worth then? And what will become of your reputation?

But a Stradivari is always a Stradivari.
And one from Jose Oribe, for the heck of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosÚ Oribe
Q. What is the most difficult aspect of the business of guitar making for an individual craftsman?
A. Without a doubt, throughout our years in this business, the most difficult struggle, and our primary goal, has been the development of a high reputation necessary to promote confidence and sales. Many buyers of guitars find comfort in relying on the image of the instrument in making a purchase, that is, who plays it, etc. To satisfy these phenomena factories usually find it is necessary to be very commercial - to buy endorsements, to continuously give free instruments to important players and to advertise heavily. All very costly and only practical with a high-production set-up.
When you're buying a high-end concert quality instrument, for the large part you are not doing it for the sound of it, or even the ease of playing. This is not to say that these instruments are not better than their $200 counterparts, they are for certain, but not to the factor of cost difference. And the most recognizable top brands almost certainly aren't worth significantly more than the less-recognizable makers, though the price difference can be astounding. The main thing you are buying is, after all, prestige. People are much more likely to just accept that you sound good if you say you play on a 8-million instrument than a $800 dollar one, even if that would not be the case in blind test conditions. They're more likely to look past mistakes, more likely to brag to their friends they visited the concert, and willing to pay more.

Quote:
This is literally the crap I am talking about.

"Look, Paganini once jizzed while this violin happened to be in the same room! Comes with authentic Paganini pubic hair! $9999999999999999999999999999999"
"Chick Corea once played an instrument from the same brand, therefore all of these must sound great! Gazillionbillion dollars for genre points."
"This is better because someone else once thought that something else similar to this was better than something else less similar to this."
"MUH HISTORY AHMEGAD SUCH CLASSICS MUCH WOW, LITERALLY 800 PAGE BACKSTORY"

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Really looking forward to when this overload of nostalgia and reissues subsides.
I'll take "Never, for people are incorrigible idiots." for $500.

Last edited by Blingley; 20-05-2016 at 06:23 PM..

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
A.M (20-05-2016)
Old 20-05-2016, 09:15 PM   #31
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64160
Thanked 1,283 Times in 946 Posts

Someone's got an axe to grind...

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #32
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200060
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,976 Posts

Someone talks sense.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #33
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5810

Whatever, I don't care.

Don't get a Model D. Problem solved.

:badger::badger::badger::badger:

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #34
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
When you're buying a high-end concert quality instrument, for the large part you are not doing it for the sound of it, or even the ease of playing. This is not to say that these instruments are not better than their $200 counterparts, they are for certain, but not to the factor of cost difference. And the most recognizable top brands almost certainly aren't worth significantly more than the less-recognizable makers, though the price difference can be astounding. The main thing you are buying is, after all, prestige. People are much more likely to just accept that you sound good if you say you play on a 8-million instrument than a $800 dollar one, even if that would not be the case in blind test conditions. They're more likely to look past mistakes, more likely to brag to their friends they visited the concert, and willing to pay more.
My Epiphone Les Paul weeps a single tear of truth.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #35
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Mother 32.

Can't imagine why anyone would want a reissue Model D over a Voyager or Sub 37. In terms of synthesis, the Model D is a few giant steps backwards when compared to those two.

I was admittedly excited about the Mother 32 when it first got announced. But the more I thought about it it seemed kind of a lot of money for the amount of synthesis power you get. I can see where it would fit into a lot of people's setups, but for me it wouldn't add much. I've done the single oscillator mono synth thing with the minibrute and ended up pretty highly disappointed.

Moog has several offerings that don't break the budget, they just don't do much for the money. I'm still thinking of getting a Taurus as a dedicated bass synth for live jams myself. Then again I could sample a shit load of Monark patches into my Electribe...for my purposes any possible differences wouldn't matter.

Your last statement is spot on. Most of the more interesting synths to come out recently have a great mix of analog and digital stuff going on. The Analog 4 and the Prophet 12 are two examples.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #36
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

^

Advertisements

lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote