Electronic Drum Kits
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 30-01-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts
Electronic Drum Kits

I've played real kits before and while they are fun to bash around and make noise on, I've recently gotten severe G.A.S. for an e-kit. Roland seems to be the go-to on most of the articles and reviews I've seen so far. I want something that has a smaller frame and is easy to transport. Probably going for getting awhat amounts to a 6-piece kit (but I can start with 4 or 5 no prob and add on more pads later). Anyone here have experience with one? I'm looking at the Alesis DM Series, maybe start off with a DM5 since I am a fan of the older D4 and SR-16 samples from way back (but would mostly plug this in to my desktop and run Addictive Drums at home).

Honestly I've never seen a post here about these so maybe not.

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
chiptraxxx
Soundwave Mangler
chiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Re: Electronic Drum Kits

Roland TD-4kp seems to be portable with ok sound, maybe going to get one myself.

------------------
chiptraxxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

I can't say anything about the kits themselves, but don't forget about the Nord Drum/2 if you think you'd want synthesized electronic sounds

Can be played/sequenced by MIDI, and played by trigger inputs.

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

Yeah I'm open to whatever sounds I can get, electronic or sampled from real kits. I'm mainly concerned about things like cymbal chokes, pad quality and compatibility with Addictive Drums and the NI stuff I have. I can't practically haul my desktop to a friend's house every time we want to jam so if the brain module doesn't have alot to choose from it's ok for the time being.
Old 30-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

Okay, I think I get you more clearly, now. I'm sure whatever brain comes with the set you get will be fine for that use, then, no need spending another $400-$600 lol unless you just wanted to.

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

what about like midi pad drums/finger drumming/or using a stick on said pads? or is this the same thing except set up like a drum kit? im a noob
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
what about like midi pad drums/finger drumming/or using a stick on said pads? or is this the same thing except set up like a drum kit? im a noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Alesis DM Series
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 02:51 AM   #8
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Yeah I'm basically looking to play the drums (I already have owned two different acoustic kits before but sold them because you can't practice in an apartment on those) so finger drumming is sort of not really a substitute. Plus I am way better playing double kick with mah feets than my fingers. It's just the way I learned, in addition to being a friggin blast to jam on.
Old 31-01-2014, 05:14 AM   #9
ChiefWildHawk
Granular Poster
ChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the roughChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the roughChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the rough
B.C.
MC Status: 260

If you want to keep the same feel of a real kit than Roland with mesh pads would be your best bet, but it doesn't take too long to get used to the feel of the pads on electronic kits. The feeling is more or less the same as practice pads. Alesis is by no means a bad brand to go with and I'd personally recommend them.
ChiefWildHawk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ChiefWildHawk
Numerical (01-02-2014)
Old 07-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

So I bought a Roland TD-3 kit used the other day. Fun as fuck to jam on.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043391
Thanked 7,519 Times in 4,650 Posts

Quote:
Mate, get that shit hooked up to Addictive Drums 2.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 AM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Oh I did! Been jamming hard the last two days on AD2 with it.
Thanks to Numerical
lolirl (10-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 02:42 AM   #13
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

hows that latency treating you?

i've been in touch via label networking with an artist i've followed for years now, we got on the subject of drums. i've been a big fan and assumed he had a kit. he mentioned that he was using a roland setup with BFD. I've thought about a minimized version of that (as "acoustic" drumming is the achilles heel of my current demo songs) and was wondering how the latency was a factor.

i guess i can bear in mind that i've been using guitar rig for guitar processing for awhile now and although there is lag, im accustomed to it.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:31 AM   #14
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

I've had it set to 64 samples which is something like 2-3ms in real time. I can't even tell it's not instantaneous even with four tracks of amp Sims and two of bass amp Sims going. Of course my wife's laptop is pretty new and handles more tracks than my computer, so I would guess it depend on your computer's capabilities.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:29 AM   #15
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

gotcha. in my case it sounds like i'd need to track drums in its own session with my tunes bounced to stereo. i cant get away with 64 samples, too many reverbs running.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Numerical (09-09-2015)
Old 27-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #16
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Jelly... I sold my acoustic kit a couple years ago because I don't have a place to play. I miss playing drums so badly. I need an electric kit!!! I've had my eye on an Alesis DM10X. I really want real feeling heads. I just need to win the lotto already, haha. Glad to hear you are having fun on the roland! play some beats for me!

Advertisements

vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote