[I don't know genres - Up beat?] TheStumps - Pent-Up Celebration
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 08-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
TheStumps
Radial Developer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 2910
[I don't know genres - Up beat?] TheStumps - Pent-Up Celebration

Hurray! I made it to my first track post.
I'm curious what people will think of my various styles.

I thought quite a bit about which track to post first, and ended up deciding that I should start on something perhaps a bit more regular than some of my other stuff (Sorry Relic, the Hip Hop song will have to wait until next week), so this is me doing ... um ... dancy...-ish electronic music?

By the way, I pay no attention to genres so consequently, I don't really know what anyone would call any of the tracks that I make (if you know and want, go ahead and say what genre you think this is), so I'll just go with descriptive words for genres as best as I can.

My weak spot is sound engineering; which is a work in progress.

So, here it is. Please to enjoy!

Personally, I think logamp sounds better than soundcloud, so I'll be posting both LA and SC.
LOGAMP
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

SOUNDCLOUD

Fun fact of this song: towards the end, that high pitched yelling like sounding thing...that's a young lamb yelling, which happens to be in the right note.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheStumps; 12-01-2017 at 10:12 PM..

Advertisements

TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [I don't know genres - Up beat?] TheStumps - Pent-Up Celebration.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42374699
Thanked 4,814 Times in 3,141 Posts
Re: [I don't know genres - Up beat?] TheStumps - Pent-Up Celebration

Good build-up. Bass sounds like its got too much mid-range. Nice explosion of sound around 1:16 or so.

Good catchy tune, nice work

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8525130
Thanked 6,684 Times in 4,768 Posts

about 1:20ish all the low end gets sucked out of the track on my monitors. Sounds kind of scooped in the mids and oddly bright/ a tad harsh when there is more going on.

Over all though really like the arrangement and selection of sounds. : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
TheStumps
Radial Developer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska

Thank you both!

Bass is too mid, readjust to round out the bottom more for the bass line.
Check. I'll redo the sculpture of the low end and see what we get.

Cheers!
(p.s. my "thanks" button has only worked twice so far...I tried thanking both of you, but it doesn't do anything - no idea what's up with this bug)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:48 AM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8525130
Thanked 6,684 Times in 4,768 Posts

The thanks button is a fickle whore. ;p

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:03 AM   #6
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

Oh good. I thought it was just me.
I'll work on the bass tonight (family life permitting) and get that posted up.

Part of my challenge is that I don't have monitors (and can't because of logistics of family life...I mean I could buy them, but they would just sit there unused), and I haven't bought a proper set of headphones yet...I have Sony MDR ZX300 headphones which are...eh...alright, but they don't really produce low end sound well. I had been relying on my car speakers in the past to chech the low end, but my new car...well...sucks for speakers (good mpg though).

So I'll take a stab at it and see if I get close.
Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

Sooo...I forgot last night was Sherlock, so naturally I didn't get to anything last night.

Anywhoo, here's the more bass (and some tiny minor adjustments in a few transition spots - probably mostly won't be noticed).

For the Bass...
Do I:
A) Dial it back?
B) Dial it up even more?
C) Leave it as is?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18860

To me, the bass sounds a little out of place because the rest of the song is relatively tight and dry, while the bass is just a bit more loose. I would tighten it up by having the bass be triggered by the volume of the kick to duck so that it gets out of the way and shorten up the release envelope (not sure if that's a repeating note or just one long sustain, but if it's a repeating note, I'd shorten up the release to make that more obvious). Battery's dying so I have to cut it there for now.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #9
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

Tighten up the bass.
Can do.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
AetherSound
Granular Poster
AetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really nice
boulder, colorado
MC Status: 360

the synth sounds at the beginning sounded a little muddy imo
AetherSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #11
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by AetherSound View Post
the synth sounds at the beginning sounded a little muddy imo
Probably getting suffocated by all the new bass being added...I'll see what I can do.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

OK, tightened up the Bass and also worked on pronouncing those synths at the beginning in response to there being more bass.
A few other lesser modifications with the arrangement of drums and sound effects in a couple spots, but nothing major.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:00 AM   #13
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

Also...I think I might have bumped the fader on the master by accident...seems a bit lower than I recall it should be. I'll check that tonight when I'm home.

Advertisements