How can I achieve this sound?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:53 AM   #1
wknightm
Learning The Ropes
wknightm is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
How can I achieve this sound?

Hey guys and gals,

General question, I'm rather new to this, but this is the type of sound I'm going for... can you recommend hardware (and software for Mac) which would make me best able to create the sound in this clip? I love this so much, it's the type of music I want to create for sure, I just don't know where to start, seems simple enough. Any particular synthesizer needed? Software? Etc...

Thanks ahead of time:

youtube---> watch?v=w08H_C_kTdA

Advertisements

wknightm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:01 AM   #2
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 28110
Re: How can I achieve this sound?

Ambient music? Any DAW + softsynth + whatever reverbs and delays come with that DAW. You basically need a computer for hardware. Maybe some samples to stretch and effect if you want to get really crazy.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:12 AM   #3
wknightm
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Ambient music? Any DAW + softsynth + whatever reverbs and delays come with that DAW. You basically need a computer for hardware. Maybe some samples to stretch and effect if you want to get really crazy.
Thanks!!! I was about to buy/rent some equipment, but if something like FL12 will suffice, I'll just go with that.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 28110

Absolutely. Give it a shot.

I'll mention that you shouldn't be afraid to stack multiple reverbs and delays on top of one another to get those sounds. Those long, slow, plaintive sounds are usually the result of a single note or chord with tons of multi-stage echo allowed to ring out.

A good place to start would be something like this: (made for Ableton but applicable in pretty much any DAW)

Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
Vault O))) (02-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Tubordinate
Minor Glitch
Tubordinate will become famous soon enough
Leicestershire , United Kingdom
MC Status: 60

Quote:

I'll mention that you shouldn't be afraid to stack multiple reverbs and delays on top of one another to get those sounds. Those long, slow, plaintive sounds are usually the result of a single note or chord with tons of multi-stage echo allowed to ring out.

A good place to start would be something like this: (made for Ableton but applicable in pretty much any DAW)

yes these sounds can make a mix real interesting! cheers for the tutorial man
Tubordinate is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Tubordinate
Minor Glitch
Tubordinate will become famous soon enough
Leicestershire , United Kingdom
MC Status: 60

Quote:

yes these sounds can make a mix real interesting! cheers for the tutorial man
Tubordinate is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:28 AM   #7
wknightm
Learning The Ropes

I may not be able to afford Ableton at nearly $1000 right now, are there any similar tutorials for relatively more inexpensive DAWs out there?

Thank you by the way, it's exactly what I am trying to achieve, that tutorial and the sound. Cheers.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

achieving sound is not hard, its much harder to not overachieve

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Public Enema #2
MC Status: 31610

I don't know who would use stock reverb over IR's in drone, but he really soaked that shit. It's more fun to use granular samplers or just basic resampling to sustain tones, IMO

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18860

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknightm View Post
I may not be able to afford Ableton at nearly $1000 right now, are there any similar tutorials for relatively more inexpensive DAWs out there?
A lot of the tutorials are done in ableton, this guy didn't say it, but you can do this stuff in any daw, you just have to "translate" it, if you will. If you have FL studio, your equivalent synth is going to be either Sytrus or 3xOsc and you can use Fruity Reeverb. You record audio with Edison and manipulate it in the play list. If you need help with the basics of FL studio, I'd look at SeamlessR's FL Basics on youtube.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #11
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 170210
Thanked 3,404 Times in 2,540 Posts

I'm going to recommend MuLab from [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
..it's a fraction fo the cost of other DAWs out there, but every bit as good..and it runs on Mac, too.

I don't think you really need the added expense of hardware, other than a PC/Mac and some software to make ambient music..in fact, I KNOW you don't need to buy hardware, but if that's what you want, then realize up front that making ambient music can be as simple or as complex as you, the producer, want it to be.

You can make ambient music with two cans .. a bottle of water and a hand-held recorder..or you can spend as much as you like on a room-full of gear and still make the same sounds..the hardware route is usually one taken due to workflow and personal preferences..not really as a means to better ambient music.

Also, starting out, you don't need to spend a bundle on soft-synths either..there are more than enough free ones out there than will help you as you learn and improve your music production skill-set.

Try some of the H G Fortune vsts that can now be downloaded from [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for free, including some of his old Pro ones..all of them are now free. These synths were well and truly way ahead of their time when he introduced them..and the sound of some of them still hold their own today, when compared to other commercial offerings.

If you have some funds, then check out Art Pyrite from [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
..the full version will set you back $60, but they do offer a stripped down free version, that although limited in the number of presets, doesn't come with any nags or intermittent noises during use. It's well worth grabbing the free version in any case, as it's a really good synth for making ambient stuff in general.

Reverb-wise, check out the free classic "[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
", which is a good sounding basic reverb.

Also take a look at REFLEX free from [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'm not 100% sure if you can actually run any or all of the above on a Mac, but there were/are the likes of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
or [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(you'll find a thread on it [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
over on KVR).

And then there's [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is a free download over on Sourceforge..

There's more than enough here to get you up and running, making ambient music in no time..unless, of course, you want to invest in hardware..but if I were you, I'd learn how to produce in this genre before I go splashing out of hardware, but it's your call.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8525130
Thanked 6,684 Times in 4,768 Posts

As a hardware user Id say your best bet for forward thinking Ambient lies in software land.

Advertisements

relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (02-02-2017)