Run the TR-8 AND your main soundcard in Ableton for Windows
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 30-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #1
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17683855
Run the TR-8 AND your main soundcard in Ableton for Windows

Many know about this workaround for Rolands disappointing USB implementation with the TR-8, but many also do not, and are still griping with the compromise of choosing either 4 analog outs and their trusty soundcard or using the TR-8 as the soundcard to get individual inputs via USB.

I figured this information needs to be more widely available so why not post a thread.

You CAN use two audio devices at once in Ableton on both Mac and Windows, as long as both are capable of 96khz. On Mac it involves creating an aggregate device. On Windows you use Asio4all and activate both devices. I know asio4all isn't ideal, but if your computer is up to snuff it runs quite well.

1) With just your main soundcard connected, open a new Ableton project and the audio settings of your soundcard. Adjust the output sound to 96Khz then close the project.

2) Connect the TR-8 and allow any drivers etc to do their thing before opening Ableton up again. Select asio4all as your audio device in Ableton.

3) Open hardware setup in Ableton and in the asio4all settings activate both your main soundcard and the TR-8 as devices.

4) In asio4all settings open the dropdown for your main soundcard and activate its output. Open the dropdown for the TR-8 and activate all the desired inputs.

5) In Ableton audio settings open "Input Config" and activate all desired TR-8 inputs.

You are now able to monitor with your main soundcard while simultaneously running all of the TR-8 inputs into individual audio tracks in Ableton, and all in pristine 96Khz, which I found surprisingly ear pleasing. Actually changed my perception of the TR-8 a bit, incredibly punchy.

Its good to save a template project with this all set up. For example a drum group with a named audio track for each instrument in the order they appear on the TR-8.
I also like to use the TR-8 as the midi clock for Ableton as its far more stable, plus the play button on the TR-8 becomes your handy start and stop for ableton projects.

Running at 96khz and also using asio4all aren't ideal for CPU usage. It runs a bit hard while doing this, but if your workflow usually starts off with basic drums and some simple elements, you can get by and it runs quite smooth.

.....now keeping my fingers crossed for a firmware update from Roland that adds automation. Pipe dreams perhaps?

Last edited by Deep Dose; 30-12-2016 at 08:46 AM..

Advertisements

Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Deep Dose
lolirl (30-12-2016)