Learning FX sounds one layer at a time
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
bcraig
Learning The Ropes
bcraig is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10
Learning FX sounds one layer at a time

Hi there I new a this but I want to learn how to layer different sounds together to create a one big sound
Have a recorder on iPhone and can bring them into Logic Pro X
and soon be able to bring into Adobe addition

So my question is to all that have done this before how should I approach this?

Should I record different sound basic off different sound frequencies?

Like for example I record a slam of a fridge raider door and record a foot stop on a second story floor
These were more of lower sounding Frequencies

So please any help would be appreciated
Thank You Inadvance and God Bless
brian

Advertisements

bcraig is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 69324
Thanked 1,135 Times in 694 Posts
Re: Learning FX sounds one layer at a time

Welcome to the forums

If I understand you correctly, the way I would do it is record everything I wanted, then start switching samples in and out until I have the layered, finished part. Worry less about how that sample falls on the spectrum naturally and just record a ton of things, you can always boost/eq things in the program. Hope that helps

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 155860
Thanked 3,117 Times in 2,322 Posts

Like GomesR, I'd suggest you worry less about frequencies and focus more on how sounds work together. That might sound like the same thing, but it's not. try different things, like playing with the gain/volume on each sample. turning each up and down slowly in turn, so you can hear how each sound interacts with the other.

Don't just layer similar sounds together..you'll only end up with more or less the same sounding stuff in the end..try mixing both highs and lows together and playing around with EQ and Reverb on one sample at a time, so you can hear the difference you're making to the overall new sound you're making.

It's all pretty simple really, just jump in and have fun..and make sure to keep notes, so you can repeat the process later if you need to. Some people forget to keep notes when they start out, but it can be really helpful later on.

Oh..and welcome to IDMf.

------------------
A.M is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42510

Good advice there already. So, what you may want to do is record a lot and then use the spectrum analyzer in Logic as you layer sounds together. So, in a sense, you should be aware of the frequency spectrum and you may, as needed use EQ or filters on each layer to get the sound you want. Some people like to use a touch of compression (set threshold high, ratio low) to "glue" the sound together.

I've tried using the iPhone for field recordings, but found it rather severely lacking. If you can at all afford it, look into a simple stereo field recorder. TASCAM makes some rather inexpensive ones that really up the quality you can achieve.

And, welcome to imdf!

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58260
Thanked 1,165 Times in 778 Posts

Hey welcome.

I agree with the others. Try not to overthink things and just experiment. Or if you want specific sounds then think abotu the different aspects of those soudns and how you can create them. But mainly experiment...

Also, you don't have to reinvent the wheel. If the sound already exists and is easily obtainable then just use it. Unless you want to just practice off course.

Advertisements

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote