What the heck is this sound?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 25-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
Chestnutjam
Learning The Ropes
Chestnutjam will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
What the heck is this sound?

I want to recreate a sound. In the Mortal Kombat theme the sound starts at 0:25. It's sort of a sawy stab that drops in pitch or cutoff, or something.

Mind the following only if you can't seem to understand which sound I'm talking about. In that case create a rhythm such as the one below, and you'll probably maybe perhaps understand. I can't post links, so here we go, imagine you hear this pattern (ganja style):

- - x - | x - - - | x - - x | - - x x

That was one 4/4 bar, each X represents the sound.

Any ideas on how to make or where to get the sound, or a similar one?
Thanks

Last edited by Chestnutjam; 25-12-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Advertisements

Chestnutjam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Dredge
Learning The Ropes
Dredge is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: What the heck is this sound?

It sounds like someone getting punched just pitched up a little.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Dredge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
Chestnutjam
Learning The Ropes
Chestnutjam will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredge View Post
It sounds like someone getting punched just pitched up a little.
Really? More like a duck with a saw filter. I tried pitching up MK1 punch sounds, and they don't sound anything like that.

Edit:
Hmm, I sort of remade the sound. Too bad it's not a synth but a distorted sample of the video game.
I took an explosion sound, set it on a higher note, added an attack, filtered with clipping, reverb, tube, and eq.

It's still not there yet.

Last edited by Chestnutjam; 25-12-2016 at 05:22 PM..
Chestnutjam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
Dredge
Learning The Ropes
Dredge is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I'm at a Christmas event now but when I get home I will try to figure it out. If not it's going to bug me lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Dredge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389648
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,760 Posts

Pitched up punch sound ("oough").
You can probably make something with a vocal snippet, adding a pitch envelope on it (falling in pitch).

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

It sounds like either a synth or some weird sample that gets pitched up heavily during the note is playing. So not just pitch the whole thing, but start the note at the baseline and immediately pitch it up during the very short time-window it is played.

it also sounds kinda 8-bit to me, so I think you could get decent results with some 8-bit synth plugin. One of my favs is the famisynth: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote