if you release music do you have to use your real name?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
vancutan
Learning The Ropes
vancutan is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
if you release music do you have to use your real name?

wow thanks allot to both of you! If anyone else has info on this I am very curious. I feel that in a way this is a new era where there is less of a focus on the personality and image and more on the music (at least in the world f the experimental stuff), so I really see no reason why more artists should not be as anonymous as they choose. Im thinking about burial and boards of canada here where they make some of the best music ever and yet they can probably live lives and walk around their local area and be just random dudes.

Advertisements

vancutan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 23710
Re: if you release music do you have to use your real name?

Jandek.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23410

Using an alias isn't the same thing as being anonymous, but sure.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
DOOMER
Learning The Ropes
DOOMER will become famous soon enough
at home
MC Status: 60

Not necessarily. It would depend on the type of release really i.e. commercial or free, digital or physical. If you want to earn money from your work, you could sell on bandcamp or similar service providers, who let you stay completely anonymous besides an E-Mail for signing up. If you want to perform for an audience, the host will probably want to know your name and some form of contact info.
If you want royalties (your track played publicly on radio stations, TV, etc.) you will want to hook up with a PRO (Public Performance Organization), the biggest for the US are ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. If you live in another country, here in Germany we have the GEMA and the GVL, who basically collect money from airplay for you. Releasing physical albums, admitting your real name to the record label is mandatory, it doesn't have to appear on the release (booklet etc.) though.
You do have the option to found a company, which can act as your strawman, thus concealing your true identity, which is common practice in the music industry.
So, long story short, you can be pretty anonymous for the public, but as soon as money starts to flow, organizations will need to know your real name for tax purposes.

DOOMER is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45939231
Thanked 5,621 Times in 3,547 Posts

If it works for the project, do it. Music first, image second imo.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,826 Posts

that's what they want you to believe. better for you to adhere to it... because you really don't want to be taken away for awareness training like the other ones. stay awake at all times

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
you have no idea how much emotional damage you have all done to me. i hope you all die
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Lisa View Post
maybe i can join another music production forum without such registration problems

have a good time and bye
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Mario D
Knob Twiddler
Mario D has a brilliant futureMario D has a brilliant futureMario D has a brilliant futureMario D has a brilliant futureMario D has a brilliant futureMario D has a brilliant futureMario D has a brilliant futureMario D has a brilliant futureMario D has a brilliant futureMario D has a brilliant futureMario D has a brilliant future
Croatia
MC Status: 1560

I've been using my name since, well, 2 years after I started so..so far 8 years. Sometimes I write Mario D. if I'm not to proud of a song.
Why? Why not. I wanna be known.

Advertisements

------------------
wata faaak
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote