Private lessons on Production Techniques/Workflow ideas
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
The Bunker
Regular Freak
The Bunker is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10
Private lessons on Production Techniques/Workflow ideas

Is there anyone out there who is willing to share their trade secrets when it comes to this stuff? You can find lessons and tutorials and private tutors on just about any aspect of music and production be it performing an instrument, music theory, or producing any genre of electronic music just about anywhere but not many seem to be willing to share that sort of knowledge when it comes to industrial music production techniques. I can understand that its a niche thing and the lack of a sizable target audience would discourage would be tutors to invest time into preparing videos, or writing up blog posts etc when its not rewarding... but what about paid private tuition? How much would it take to get someone like Michael Arthur Holloway or Bryan Erickson to go one-on-one with a student or even prepare some sort of "course" where they demonstrate their workflow and some of their process (I know they visit these forums sometimes so maybe they might care to share their views on this?). I know for example Bryan is always going on about his financial woes on Facebook and whatnot, and it seems something like this might even save a couple of his studio pieces which he is always throwing on ebay to cover some touring or printing cost or something or other... Surely working musicians wouldn't turn down a gig if it helps pay the bills. If there is interest in this sort of thing, maybe even some forum members might want to get a group together and help make this a viable thing? Any thoughts?

Advertisements

The Bunker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 15910
Re: Private lessons on Production Techniques/Workflow ideas

why not just reach out to them and ask? plenty of people do this over skype or whatever. figure out how much you are willing to pay per hour and what exactly it is you want and just ask. the worst thing that can possibly happen is that they ignore you or say they are not interested.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1435759

It's a good idea, @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The issue for me is basically time -- I don't have much of it between my full-time job and my music work, which is essentially a second job at this point, as I do music for video, games, etc in addition to my work as DWIFH.

I've thought about creating some youtube tutorials specifically on Making Industrial and I'd still like to do a series like that, hopefully in the near future.

For paid one-on-one stuff, I like the idea but currently I just don't have the time or setup for it, I'd have to look into the best ways to actually go about doing it. I'll do some thinking on that.

AFAIC, there are no 'secrets' in the business, just lots of cool techniques and approaches that can be used or ignored as one pleases. Some will use them to great effect, others won't

I used to write a blog about making industrial music, the posts are all archived here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It hasn't been updated since 2010, sadly!

If only I didn't need to sleep at night, the things I could get done.....

-Michael

------------------
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mholloway
jbvdb493 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
The Bunker
Regular Freak

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I thought about contacting specific people but I figured by posting here I could gauge if there would be any interest in the community for this sort of thing to perhaps create more of an incentive for the artists to want to get involved. Also I don't know everyone out there so I thought maybe someone equally as good as the people I had in mind might see this and be willing to share some of their ideas. Long shot but worth a try...

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Thanks for responding. Yea I figured time might be an issue for you. And I have actually read pretty much all the stuff related to this on your old blog but as you say it's now inactive and there is just so much more depth to this kind of stuff. But it's nice to hear that you will consider doing something like this in the future if it's possible for you just a thought: maybe if its something you could somehow incorporate into your own routine when making music then it may not be as demanding on your precious time. Like some sort of live streaming thing that just runs in the background while you work on a track or something along those lines... I remember watching some Deadmau5 videos like that a while ago...

Anyway cool to hear from you and keep up the good work... I think I'll go and buy the new album right about now
Old 12-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
rewir3d
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3062919

I'm with mholloway. I have little time with the hours I work. I have a few people I do this for but that's about it.

Edit: weird...no capital letters. Must be a bug in the site haha
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
rewir3d
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016

You could always pm me and I will try to divulge some of my limited knowledge, anything helps I guess
Old 12-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
rewir3d
Anal Leakage SJW 2016

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Not trying to spam but have a listen and pm me if anything sticks out that you want to have a conversation about!
Old 12-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526177
Thanked 1,759 Times in 1,143 Posts

I think the problem you're going to find is that everyone goes about this stuff differently - alternately, there is no right way to make music.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
The Bunker
Regular Freak

That's true but as a beginner it is hugely beneficial to see how your influences do things as a starting point. From there you are better situated to develop your own way of doing things overtime. I think the no rules thing is a huge cliche in music... I have played music in band settings before so I know how there are rules and conventions and how learning works. I feel that if I wanted to make ... I don't know... dubstep or house music, I would be far better situated to do so with the endless sound design and arrangement videos online that are related to that kind of music. But I have no interest in those sounds...
Old 12-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
Vault O)))
Digital Surfer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 16960

Industrial is usually about going against rules, and that's why. Keep on searching for 'the right way' to do it, though, because you're not ever going to find it.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
The Bunker
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Industrial is usually about going against rules, and that's why. Keep on searching for 'the right way' to do it, though, because you're not ever going to find it.
Yea except there are conventions in everything so if you want to know how to make an EBM type bassline you have to know the techniques, if you want a punchy 12bit kick sound you gotta know how to make that, if you want distorted vocals there are good and bad ways of going about it and so on... People need somewhere to start so that they can find their own sound once they learn the basics. Also if you have listened to anything that falls under the umbrella of "Industrial" in like the last 20 years you would notice just how much conformity there is when it comes to sound design, image, artwork and so on in the genre, one might even call it all a bit cliche... anyway there is just about as much creativity in industrial as there is in thrash metal, or indie rock or ... or... or... which is neither a good or bad thing. I don't think there is much difference.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #12
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
Vault O))) (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 12:18 AM   #13
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38697

There's no rules for noise tho.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #14
The Bunker
Regular Freak

Hmm is that a thing on this forum? Turning threads into arguments? Its really pretty simple what I was looking for, not really here to debate the philosophical question of what creativity and art is and isn't all about...
Old 12-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #15
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

I've not read an argument.

Just some folks chiming in with their 2 cents.

My google link was for a laugh.

PM me if you have some specific things you'd like to learn.

:edit: check my soundcloud in the signature, PM me if any of those sounds are what you're shooting for.

------------------
Old 12-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #16
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
The last of the last particles
MC Status: 6952383
Thanked 3,859 Times in 2,566 Posts

Good tutorial site.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:04 AM   #17
The Bunker
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
I've not read an argument.

Just some folks chiming in with their 2 cents.

My google link was for a laugh.

PM me if you have some specific things you'd like to learn.

:edit: check my soundcloud in the signature, PM me if any of those sounds are what you're shooting for.
PM sent.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:25 AM   #18
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8504130
Thanked 6,264 Times in 4,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker View Post
That's true but as a beginner it is hugely beneficial to see how your influences do things as a starting point. From there you are better situated to develop your own way of doing things overtime. I think the no rules thing is a huge cliche in music... I have played music in band settings before so I know how there are rules and conventions and how learning works. I feel that if I wanted to make ... I don't know... dubstep or house music, I would be far better situated to do so with the endless sound design and arrangement videos online that are related to that kind of music. But I have no interest in those sounds...
Most of those are quite garbage to be fair. You aren't really learning much except how to make an exact sound. Most of the time the tutorials are copies of copies of copies to the point where the maker of the video doesn't really understand synthesis.

Depending on where you are starting from with your knowledge, Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook or How to Make a Noise are quite good. Once you've got the basics of subtractive synthesis down, I'd tackle a bunch of lessons from the Sound on Sound synthesizer secrets series, teaches you how to make a bread and butter sounds.

As far as workflow goes, I feel like that is pretty genre-less in a lot of regards--a lot of people like Ill Gates and Mike Monday for that kind of stuff. I've never found any of their suggestions overly novel, but certainly useful if you've never heard it before.

I feel like workflow is pretty "genreless" anyway, any decent tutorial on it will probably give you enough basics to figure out what works for you.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:13 AM   #19
nervewar
Regular Freak
nervewar will become famous soon enoughnervewar will become famous soon enough
Kansas City, MO
MC Status: 110

I started a blog earlier this year to document my various sound experiments and recordings. While it's not a full out tutorials, or one on one, maybe there will still be some useful information for you... I hope! I've been trying to list out all the various instruments and plugins I'm using in each post too, a lot of them free, so that could set you down some paths to quickly and freely experiment.

I can't post links yet, but it's at: nervewar [dot] net [slash] blog
nervewar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #20
The Bunker
Regular Freak

Ha really cool stuff, digging the development on those ideas. We actually have a lot of similar plugs. I love the D16 stuff... going to bed now but I'll PM ya tomorrow!
P.s. Cool name for the blog.

Advertisements