Beat Battle 40 - Eastern Oddity
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13410
Beat Battle 40 - Eastern Oddity

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday 30/09/2016
Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 on the 11th day, Tuesday 11th October.

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day Thursday 13th October.
The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day, Friday 14th October, to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

Late Submissions are void to receiving a vote

All times are UTC.

The Rules

1. Meter of the track must be in 7/8

2. Track must exhibit an eastern flavor. (Middle East or Far East)

3. Track length must be between 1 minute and 3 minutes.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing what you cool cats come up with!

Submission Close Timer (refresh page to update timer)----->

Last edited by vashima; 09-30-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Advertisements

vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 155860
Thanked 3,117 Times in 2,322 Posts
Re: Beat Battle 40 - Eastern Oddity

Cool..love the counter..nice one.

EDIT: Just had a listen..some interesting sounds in there, still..I think this will be a bit of a challenge,..but not so hard as impossible. Should be fun.

Last edited by A.M; 09-30-2016 at 05:26 PM..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1824227

Smashing post mate. Getting samples now

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42610

This should be interesting. I'm a little vague on the impact of meter. I've read it, but am not sure I understood.
I've listened to a lot of middle eastern music and it's very recognizable, yet I have no firm idea if it's a different scale or what defines it.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #5
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
This should be interesting. I'm a little vague on the impact of meter. I've read it, but am not sure I understood.
I've listened to a lot of middle eastern music and it's very recognizable, yet I have no firm idea if it's a different scale or what defines it.
Trust me, you're not alone. In my own case I had to look it up on YouTube and I'm still not sure I have it right..just put down a seven step beat, but I don't think it's that simple..tried splitting it into 3 - 4 but it sounds even worse.

Man, sometimes I really regret not having formal training in theory.

------------------
Old 09-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho

hey Liquid, no problems.

the 7/8 meter is pretty much like having 3.5 beats per bar. But "feeling" it that way would be kinda weird. I'd prefer to bobble my head in half time and that way every two bars you feel 7 beats. Really, the best way to count it is to group it up. ex. 3+4 (1 beat is 3 and 1 beat is 4. [1,2,3]+[1,2,3,4] or you could do [1,2,3]+[1,2]+[1,2] any combinations that equal 7 will work. Put your meter in your daw to 7/8 and check out the metronome. should clear it up. Also, if you are going the hardware route, do 7/4 if that type of meter isnt available in the sequencer, and then just adjust the bpm.

for the eastern stuff I would start out by looking into these scales (not a definitive way to address it but a great place to start)

harmonic minor
Phrygian modes
pentatonic scales (search some japanese ones they are cool) H, H, W+H, W, W+H, W

hope that helps a bit.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Ah, I like sevens a lot. This is going to spice up my workflow, I'm not used to melodic stuff or beats so far really.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80987180
Thanked 3,939 Times in 2,562 Posts

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #9
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 24810

Hell yes.. time to let my jazz fusion freak flag fly.

On the time limit I was gonna say, since participation is still kind of spotty, I wouldn't think we should be too strict.

Basically, whoever wakes up first in the morning can just post.. "Submission periods is over."

Eh?

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
vashima
Pocatello, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Hell yes.. time to let my jazz fusion freak flag fly.

On the time limit I was gonna say, since participation is still kind of spotty, I wouldn't think we should be too strict.

Basically, whoever wakes up first in the morning can just post.. "Submission periods is over."

Eh?
For sure, I don't want to be a nazi about it or anything. I just think having a countdown can help us all connect our actual time zones to UTC 0. This way we don't have to think of it as Tuesday at midnight, for me at least, it will be Tuesday at 6pm. And hell yea to the jazz fusion freak flag!
Thanks to vashima
mnkvolcno (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #11
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Right reworked and posted my IDM 48 submission ...now lets get on with some serious BB's

------------------
Old 09-30-2016, 10:27 PM   #12
vashima
Pocatello, Idaho

woot woot!

*takes 3 shots of tequila, punches piñata, opens pro tools.
Thanks to vashima
mnkvolcno (09-30-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 01:08 AM   #13
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

7/4's an education...actually surprising myself althoguh the asian angle is proving interesting. Im in regardless. I like a challenge.

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
vashima (10-02-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #14
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2860

Great job @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, I like the rules and the timer is an excellent touch!
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42610

Guys. Things have come up that don't leave me enough time for this one. I'll have to sit this one out.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:50 PM   #16
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Guys. Things have come up that don't leave me enough time for this one. I'll have to sit this one out.
You're not alone I think..I'm far from happy with the results I'm turning out so far. Had a few attempts and each is crap I would let our cat listen to. let alone anyone on here.

That said, I'm still struggling with it and going to try to turn something out, but don't hold your breath. The whole 7/8 time thing is just fine..it's actually getting something workable from the samples that sounds new and not just like the samples chopped up and rearranged, while still keeping that Middle East or Far East feel.

The challenge is a good one, I'll give ya that..but it might just be a bit too tough an egg for me to crack this time round.

------------------
Old 10-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #17
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Im on a roll. Got some nice beats laid down. Now working on the leads, arps and bass...

Come on finger puppets, pull it out yer arses!

I know very little about music and timings. The samples are a challenge, they always are, that's why we're here. Load sof great usable,tweakable, mangable (is tehre a word) samples to implement.

------------------
Old 10-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
LouTheOpossum
Analog Lurker
LouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

You mean that the beat battles are alive and well?
LouTheOpossum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #19
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouTheOpossum View Post
You mean that the beat battles are alive and well?
Do or die....

------------------
Old 10-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #20
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2860

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Do or die....

Crude beats enter

1 beat leaves

Advertisements

------------------
check out my Nest in progress
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Valk