How many of you sample breaks the old school way?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 06-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
timekraftcanvas
Regular Freak
timekraftcanvas will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
How many of you sample breaks the old school way?

Curious because I've never really dared to go into the VST interface setup and load sounds. I always thought gritty sampling from AD samplers made a difference.

Advertisements

timekraftcanvas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 6860
Re: How many of you sample breaks the old school way?

How do you mean? Using a traditional workstation instead of a DAW?

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710

My opinion, and I own 2 hardware samplers now, is that end of the day everything gets mixed ITB, so for me that process is much more a part of the final sound than the hardware. The hardware just has an appealing workflow for me. My 2 cents
But yeah I sample drums both into my mpc and into live.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
timekraftcanvas
Regular Freak
timekraftcanvas will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
My opinion, and I own 2 hardware samplers now, is that end of the day everything gets mixed ITB, so for me that process is much more a part of the final sound than the hardware. The hardware just has an appealing workflow for me. My 2 cents
But yeah I sample drums both into my mpc and into live.
I've been thinking of sampling the old school way because the protocol is still very safe. For example, the amount of records people can find in record shops outweighs anything you can find online, and skimming through records at a shop for a dollar or less gives one a better idea on what ideas to make. I still have an S1000 stored, and I've never been motivated to find new floppy's to create something since back in 2002. However, I want to get back into it....

or learn the VST route. I just don't like the samples provided nowadays. I miss the freedom of scouting your own sounds and hearing the filters from AKAI or EMU. man those were the days...

Thanks for sharing your 2 cents mate.
timekraftcanvas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41710

I think technology has quite a bit to offer you over old gear. Slice it, micro edit, retrigger and on...

Maschine or Octatrack. It's a matter of preference.

Where your samples come from... well, your creativity sets that boundary. MK2 and vinyl seems like a fine choice.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
harness
Regular Freak
harness is a glorious beacon of lightharness is a glorious beacon of lightharness is a glorious beacon of lightharness is a glorious beacon of lightharness is a glorious beacon of lightharness is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 523

I use hardware samplers, but also use Geist. Whatever works.
harness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710

Besides there is nothing stopping you sampling vinyl into something like live and using push!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497680
Thanked 6,135 Times in 4,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekraftcanvas View Post
For example, the amount of records people can find in record shops outweighs anything you can find online
This is almost certainly not true. It might be true that there is much on vinyl that isn't online. But as far as pure bulk of material, online has to win.

I spent a whole weekend in Pittsburgh last fall with a buddy just shopping at Jerry's (famous record store) he has well over a million vinyls in the place. Honestly I didn't feel like there was very much that was special in most of it or anything you couldn't get online. Just 10,000 AC/DC repressings.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #9
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65210
Thanked 1,304 Times in 984 Posts

Of course there's free sample packs and field recorders and Freesound.org and you can sample VST instruments using HighLife or just a DAW. You can record anything if you know how to use your DAW properly.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:50 AM   #10
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6892609
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,985 Posts

I only us beat juggles printed onto tape. The tape is then sliced and looped.

Anyone who use digital sampling techniques is taint. Splicing tape loops is the pure, original form. Everything else is redundant.

Advertisements

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote