Difference between EBM and Aggrotech
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 11-01-2015, 04:05 AM   #1
Tirisilex
Regular Freak
Tirisilex is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10
Difference between EBM and Aggrotech

I've been researching this all day today on you tube... I have found alot of confusion on the different genres. I know that groups like VnV Nation, Covenant, Apoptygma Berzerk, And One, Beborn Beton, Endanger are all Future Pop.

But as I dug I found that EBM and Aggrotech push the same kind of music.. such like Combichrist, Dawn of Ashes, Suicide Commando.

At first I thought that Aggrotech was Hard Dark Trance music a step up from Darkcore which is Dark regular Trance music. But I found that this is not the case.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Advertisements

Tirisilex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:12 AM   #2
Tirisilex
Regular Freak
Re: Difference between EBM and Aggrotech

I thought stuff like this is Aggrotech: DJ LλMBDλ - Bass War

I cant post URL.s but you can do a You Tube search on the song I posted.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #3
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 21560

EBM is awesome check out front 242 or nitzer ebb
Aggro tech or whatever sucks!
Just my 2 pence

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

EBM is somewhat of a macro-genre these days in which Aggrotech is a generally disappointing subset featuring more elements of hardstyle trance, and focused heavily on appearing edgy. Lots of confusion stems from the casual use of the term, which is why a lot of people differentiate between old-school EBM (Nitzer Ebb, 242, Armageddon Dildos, X Marks the Pedwalk, etc...) and whatever the hell it is now.

Last edited by penguinoid; 11-04-2015 at 09:32 PM..

------------------
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to penguinoid
liquid_air (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 11:37 PM   #5
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65310
Thanked 1,306 Times in 985 Posts

I've never even heard of aggro-tech but I have heard of all those bands. I think the term is probably something invented in recent years and might even be for a different (sub)genre.

I have heard of electro-industrial. I have heard of aggro, but that usually referred to industrial or rock-industrial in my experiences.

Also, I never heard anybody talking about "Future" anything until recently this year. So I'm also somewhat skeptical of that as a valid subgenre for any bands of the 1980s and 1990s.

EBM I have heard of alot, but even back in the 1990s I never heard anybody call it that. People were talking about industrial and electro-industrial, and sometimes just called it yet another form of techno.

The terms evolve over time though. The stuff people call techno these days isn't anything like the stuff people called techno in the 1990s.

Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music is still pretty accurate though. You may want to take a look/listen at that. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:13 AM   #6
Tirisilex
Regular Freak

Wikipedias List of electronic music genres is my choice guide to the diff types of genres.
After much searching and listening to the different styles. I am now confident in the differences between EBM and Aggrotech.. Aggrotech is darker and scream like vocals with Hard trance like beats.. Now I dont know many EBM bands but Front 242 but knowing Front 242 gives me a taste on the EBM style.. I love both Genres..
Old 11-05-2015, 02:34 AM   #7
hellscion
Banned
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357023

aggro-tech is from the cyber-goth scene..neon dreadlocks and industrial dancing and that sort of thing. The music takes a lot from gabber and digital hardcore but slowed down and with high-passed distorted vocals..

..and it sucks
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:48 AM   #8
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42610

Fightin words here...

I'm curious, can someone give me a few pointers around key artists in the genre. Listened to DJ Lambda and Terrorfakt. Not my thing, really. Gabber was fun - when it first hit the scene. Sperminator- No women allowed still puts a grin on my face.

Quite a few Industrial/EBM acts rely on heavily distorted vocals. Even Front242. I'm thinking about God Module, Hocico, Funker Voigt and the like. Love all of that stuff.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:01 AM   #9
hellscion
Banned
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357023

I've always liked industrial and artists like SPK and Test Dept but stuff like 242/Nitzer Ebb or this new angry disco music it's always been like 'wtf?'..some of it is catchy but..why are they all bald..
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:20 AM   #10
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38797

After checking both of these genres, they're both equally awful.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #11
Tirisilex
Regular Freak

I'm hearing awful and sux.. But personaly I LOVE BOTH styles. soo naaaa
Old 11-06-2015, 03:59 AM   #12
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65310
Thanked 1,306 Times in 985 Posts

I like front 242 a lot. although, not all their stuff is EBM nor electro-industrial.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
liquid_air (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Fightin words here...

I'm curious, can someone give me a few pointers around key artists in the genre.
very much not my thing, but more well known are bands like Hocico, Dawn of Ashes, Psyclon 9, Amduscia

------------------
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to penguinoid
liquid_air (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #14
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1435759

To me EBM is pretty much just early 242 and early Nitzer Ebb. That's what "EBM" sounds like to me. There's a million knock-offs and spin-offs, sure, but that's what I call the original flavour EBM... I guess Portion Control should be included in that as well.

It's fantastic stuff, imo.

Aggrotech is... not.

-M

------------------

a modern twist on old-school electro-industrial music:
https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/deadwhenifoundher
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #15
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42610

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
very much not my thing, but more well known are bands like Hocico, Dawn of Ashes, Psyclon 9, Amduscia
Hocico and Amduscia are awesome. Great for working out ... or shooting up a place, depending on your inclinations and mental health.

I can see how it doesn't appeal to a good swath of folks.

But, hey, I like Slayer and Megadeth as well... right next to my Jewel and Tori Amos CDs.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
Nystagmus (11-08-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
MikeyOSB
Knob Twiddler
MikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond repute
Armpit of the North
MC Status: 2110

With Aggrotech you have God Module,Grendel,Hocico,Suicide Commando, Aesthetic Perfection,Agonoize some others. With EBM there's Covenant and And One, both who sometimes do Futurepop. Sitd is really good. Supposed to be EBM but the synths sound electro industrial to me.

Keep in mind that the artists that make Industrial music have been very versatile from the beginning and not everything they make is or is intended to be the what they are associated with and some of it may not even be intended as Post Industrial.

Quote:
Fightin words here...

I'm curious, can someone give me a few pointers around key artists in the genre. Listened to DJ Lambda and Terrorfakt. Not my thing, really. Gabber was fun - when it first hit the scene. Sperminator- No women allowed still puts a grin on my face.

Quite a few Industrial/EBM acts rely on heavily distorted vocals. Even Front242. I'm thinking about God Module, Hocico, Funker Voigt and the like. Love all of that stuff.
MikeyOSB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #17
MikeyOSB
Knob Twiddler
MikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond repute
Armpit of the North

TerroloKaust and Heimataerde for instance are associated with Aggrotech but most of Terrolokaust and almost all of Heimataerde's newer stuff is something else.

I would say Terrolokaust is EBM with thicker synths.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:19 AM   #18
MikeyOSB
Knob Twiddler
Armpit of the North

Quote:
Hocico and Amduscia are awesome. Great for working out ... or shooting up a place, depending on your inclinations and mental health.

I can see how it doesn't appeal to a good swath of folks.

But, hey, I like Slayer and Megadeth as well... right next to my Jewel and Tori Amos CDs.
Hocico is a favorite of mine but I wish their last release were a normal album instead of Live.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:03 AM   #19
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

The way I see it, EBM sounds "cleaner" than Aggrotech. Aggrotech evidently contains "aggro" sounds (in the synths/music and vocal sounds/lyrical themes), whereas EBM would typically sound less distorted and "angry".

Regarding Futurepop, that genre is a bit like a mix of EBM and Synthpop -- it has like the simple melodies and vocal styles of Synthpop and a more apocalyptic worldview in lyrical themes as EBM may often give off a feeling of (additionally Futurepop has a bit of the arpeggiated synths from Trance).

Personally I enjoy all sorts of Industrial and Synthpop genres, although I may have more EBM + Futurepop than I have of Aggrotech (but I'm not against Aggrotech, it's just a lot of it sounds very similar, given it's a rather specific subgenre). But what I consider EBM includes some old-school/90s artists and some of the more recent/modern ones. I even believe many artists do more than one genre, so may do some EBM and some Futurepop or Electro-Industrial. I think it depends on the song.

like a few tunes of :wumpscut:, And One, Biomekkanik, Covenant, Front Line Assembly, Icon of Coil, Seabound, VNV Nation..
Arian 1, BiGod 20, Cesium:137, Din_Fiv, E-Craft, Edge of Dawn, Front 242, Haujobb, Mekanik Disorder, Negative Format, Noise Unit, NTRSN, ohGr, Sonik Foundry, A Split Second, Tolchock, Tribantura, Velvet Acid Christ, Xorcist, XPQ-21...

Aggrotech sounds a lot harsher, with artists like Chainreactor, Combichrist, ESC, Hocico, Nitro/Noise, Straftanz, Suicide Commando, X-Fusion..

some tunes or artist of every genre sound slightly dif from another tune/artist of the same genre (otherwise it'd be really repetitive if they sounded exactly alike), but it's about the aspects (types of sounds/instruments used, certain rhythms, lyrical themes, vocal styles, sometimes a certain song structure, etc.) that help define a genre (or to help discern it from another).

and certainly some genres are more easy to identify (especially the broader the genre, like differentiating Metal from Country), and some (namely subgenres) would take more of listening experience to be able to identify/discern specific aspects (such as differentiating Deep House from Latin House). but there are def some subgenres that are so closely related in sound, it's almost questionable whether it's worth giving them two different terms (like Techstep vs. Neurofunk, or Synthpop vs. Electropop).
either way, some ppl prefer using specific terms, others prefer using broader terms.
Kozmotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:25 AM   #20
HexPhosphorus
Analog Lurker
HexPhosphorus will become famous soon enoughHexPhosphorus will become famous soon enough
Chicago, Los Angeles, Madison, and Portland Oregon.
MC Status: 110

I love Front 242. I used to think EBM was mostly the more pop sounding stuff vs the harder sounding Industrial. I learned a few things since then.

Advertisements

HexPhosphorus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote