What's the difference between chillwave and chillstep?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 07-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Superye
Learning The Ropes
Superye is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10
Icon5 --

--

Last edited by Superye; 04-06-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Advertisements

Superye is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279184
Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,708 Posts
Re: What's the difference between chillwave and chillstep?

Trick question? Im pretty sure neither exist

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

You cant even genre anymore?

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
banu_musa
Regular Freak
banu_musa is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

It's all fridge music isn't it?
banu_musa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38347

Chillwave is the shit, but chillstep, that's just shit, completely different and versatile genres identified with distinct characteristics and soundscapes.

I hope this helped.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:00 AM   #6
bIOtAPEstry
Microknight
bIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to all
Sydney
MC Status: 610

Chill step.... Chillwave... EDM ..... Trap.....

None of these are genres really.

Some cool kids on the scene (that don't really understand music properly yet ) have a track that gets a bit popular in their scene. so they put 'chill wave'.... or 'EDM' or 'Trap' for the genre tittle on soundcloud. All of a sudden a new 'genre' of music is born overnight. Purely because soundcloud gives us the option to right out own genres with our tracks.

I like the idea of having custom genres. Although it seems to of giving some producers the illusion that they have been the pioneer behind whole new genre and movement of music.

This is nonsense of course. chill step is just a trendy name for ambient dubstep. Every 'Trap' song I herd had the same drop and in its essence is just an unfinished dubstep song where they forgot to put all the mids in the mix. just subs and kicks mainly using the same formula again and again.

As for 'EDM' well.... this bothers me the most as EDM stands for Electronic Dance Music. Really? Electronic dance music is a bit vague don't you think?? So that covers anything release for music made on a computer that happened in the last 30years? Great googlymoogly.

All this proves is that most of the left brain right wing brown noses that work in the whore we call the music industry have no fucking idea about music what so ever.

Renaming a genre isn't really creating a new style of music.

My next release is going to be genre titled: Psychedelic Nano Doom Fusion

Thoughts?

------------------
Please like my Facebook page!!
https://www.facebook.com/nomadicjurassic
bIOtAPEstry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:21 AM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8492630
Thanked 6,034 Times in 4,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIOtAPEstry View Post

Some cool kids on the scene (that don't really understand music properly yet ) have a track that gets a bit popular in their scene. so they put 'chill wave'.... or 'EDM' or 'Trap' for the genre tittle on soundcloud. All of a sudden a new 'genre' of music is born overnight. Purely because soundcloud gives us the option to right out own genres with our tracks.

I like the idea of having custom genres. Although it seems to of giving some producers the illusion that they have been the pioneer behind whole new genre and movement of music.

This is nonsense of course. chill step is just a trendy name for ambient dubstep. Every 'Trap' song I herd had the same drop and in its essence is just an unfinished dubstep song where they forgot to put all the mids in the mix. just subs and kicks mainly using the same formula again and again.

As for 'EDM' well.... this bothers me the most as EDM stands for Electronic Dance Music. Really? Electronic dance music is a bit vague don't you think?? So that covers anything release for music made on a computer that happened in the last 30years? Great googlymoogly.

All this proves is that most of the left brain right wing brown noses that work in the whore we call the music industry have no fucking idea about music what so ever.

Renaming a genre isn't really creating a new style of music.

My next release is going to be genre titled: Psychedelic Nano Doom Fusion

Thoughts?
Id actually argue EDM is a good, general umbrella term. If you say "House" to most people, they dunno wtf you are talking about. Maybe it is broad, but the term EDM is descriptive. Most people who like House cant even tell where it got its name
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:21 AM   #8
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 78650
Thanked 1,547 Times in 1,049 Posts

Its all fucking techno shit anyways fag.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:46 AM   #9
Narukami Music
Soundscaper
Narukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7360

Quote:
I dislike the term "EDM", or at least I used to. Not because of what it meant but because of the people associated with it. As Relic said, EDM is the perfect description of general dance music because it means what it means. But the people who often use the most are the same people who called any electronic music "Techno". Plus, it's often associated with the bro, Avicii, Steve Aoki scene, which I'm not a fan of.

I'm such a fucking douche.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Narukami Music
relic (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 04:20 AM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41710

To the extent that genre labels are helpful in defining expectations as to what things sound like I find them helpful. These days I'm often not sure it's not a marketing gimmick.

I like the EDM label. It's useful in that it indicates a decent probability that I won't like it.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #11
bIOtAPEstry
Microknight
bIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to all
Sydney

Most people say they like house music because every club in the world is playing a shit watered down version of the genre on repeat every week.

oh and maybe some dub step.

Why is the mainstream so shit? The have all the money and the resources and the come out with the worst music.

------------------
Old 09-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #12
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 17960

"Let's see here... let's make some dubstep... that actually has some higher synth pads on it... HOLY SHIT THIS NEEDS TO BE A WHOLE NEW GENRE BECAUSE ITS SOOOOO DIFFERENT"
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #13
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 17960

also fuck chillwave
that's all I have to say about that
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #14
bIOtAPEstry
Microknight
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray medicine View Post
also fuck chillwave
that's all I have to say about that
wtf is chilly wave anyway?

Is it the name of some kind of dressing for my stir fry?

and chill step.... i dont understand how. big fucking drums on ambient soundscapes.

'oh thats such a nice soothing pad sound on that Bm7 chord (second inversion obviously )' 'now have some booming arena dub step kick. snare. kick. snare' - Unbelievable

------------------
Old 09-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #15
electrodevo
Granular Poster
electrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MC
MC Status: 28451

Quote:
One of the problems with music is marketing. If you don't market, there is no chance of success. Kind of sucks, but that's the way it is unfortunately. People like to listen to music for certain moods.

"Chill" genres come in part to separate the aggressive oriented music from the soft and mellow stuff. Almost every electronic genre has had this, in the past it got more the "ambient" tag instead of "chill", but it was the same concept. All chillstep is, is a classification that shows that your mix / tracks don't have your super-aggressive drops and harsh brostep type sounds, and instead has more floaty stuff over the same half time beats.

There are worse tags. Remember the "intelligent drum and bass" tag several years ago? What's so "intelligent" about taking D&B and mixing it with mellow jazz, "rare groove" (translation: deep 70s funk tracks most people don't know about) influences, and ambient pads? I don't know. "Atmospheric drum and bass" is another tag for that style that's better. And again, all that tag means is that you'll be dropped a bunch of chill D&B stuff in a set, with none of the darker heavier stuff. If you want the heavier stuff, there's names for that too ("neurofunk" being a genre tag for such stuff for instance).

Incidentally, "chillwave" is a term invented by the sarcastic Hipster Runoff blog as I understand, the same blog that brought you the term "slutwave" for the Kesha / Katy Perry / Miley Cyrus sort of trend. I sort of wonder why the name stuck. Indie rock has been fascinated for drenching their tracks in reverb and using synths for, oh, I don't know, ever since the algorithmic reverb was created? Seriously, we already had the "dreampop" term for several decades, that's not a bad term IMHO and a pretty good description of chillwave too, I don't know why we need a new term. But oh well.

As far as "trap" is concerned, that's a Southern (US) hip hop term that got stolen by dubstep producers, that's why it may not make much sense. "Trap" in hip hop refers to a certain thing about the drug dealing life style they like to rap a lot about a lot; whatever, musically it is just a style extension of ye olde Southern hip hop techniques (see "crunk" and whatnot). At some point, Southern hip hop moved away from using a lot of big brass type sounds, and started aligning their fascination with Autotune-robot voices with more synthetic type leads and pads and deeper use of "808s", especially 808 hihat trills. So I guess a new name was needed to distinguish Lil Jon tracks from Future tracks. For some reason, dubstep producers started borrowing from this trend by taking the 808 BD and the trills, adding drops, and removing the rap. However, no new genre name was formed out of this, they called it the same thing. Thus, Diplo and Chief Keef now make the "same style" of music name wise. Funny, eh?

------------------
BC|SC
electrodevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to electrodevo
liquid_air (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
bIOtAPEstry
Microknight
Sydney

hehe, i know exactly the type your talking about. that kind of hipsters that wear beats.headphones.

because they think it helps them get a 'good' mix.

------------------
Old 09-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #17
DOLGAP
Minor Glitch
DOLGAP is a jewel in the roughDOLGAP is a jewel in the roughDOLGAP is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I heard people calling Skream as chillstep. I guess plebs call the normal dubstep as chillstep because it's not the aggressivily modulated distorted robotsex crap.

Advertisements

DOLGAP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

What's the difference between chillwave and chillstep? Tags
chillstep, chillwave, subgenres