The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 07-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8504130
Thanked 6,264 Times in 4,495 Posts
The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Hey IDMf,

I searched for this, but didn't find it...so I'm starting a home gardening thread as I know there are a few of us growing our own food! I hope this is OK with the mods as I know there are a few picture threads already.

I'll start things off...this year we are doing two things bucket gardening:

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

And Straw Bail gardening:

Code:

We are growing carrots and zucchini in the buckets. Then, tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers in the bails.

All of our seeds are heritage varieties. No GMOs. We are using cayenne pepper and garlic mixed in water to discourage bugs and small mammals.

Ooh! We are also growing some awesome sunflowers and decorative sogram (kinda like corn). And we have both regular chives, garlic chives and various mints planted in shady places.

What's in your garden?

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740105
Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,616 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Gangsta.

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:45 AM   #3
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 68774
Thanked 1,124 Times in 687 Posts

revived!

I've been growing a garden every summer for 5 years now. Mostly Tomatoes. I was wondering though, anybody have any tips on garlic and onions? I hear they grow good here in the winter.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to GomesR
relic (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 06:15 AM   #4
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163491
Thanked 1,414 Times in 1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomesR View Post
revived!

I've been growing a garden every summer for 5 years now. Mostly Tomatoes. I was wondering though, anybody have any tips on garlic and onions? I hear they grow good here in the winter.
Depends on your climate I guess, I dropped some garlic in the black boxes here about a month ago, as they supposedly like frost.

Code:
They have already sprouted now, and it's pretty much winter here now - at least ultimo fall. Onion is in the spring here. Made some this this year actually. But we had a shit summer with regards to the veggie garden this year. Heavy lack of sunlight. Mostly because it was in the shade of a willow tree I have yet to cut down.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

man...we totally bailed on gardening this year...shit we barely took care of the yard.

------------------
Old 11-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC

We did two Tomato plants for the store just because it is indeed a gardening shop. Sort of amazed it's still putting tomatoes out, and new flowers are popping up weekly. I'll try and get a pic up later, even though it's looking a bit weathered. People comment on them and then I tell them about the expensive fertilizers that we used that we just happen to sell also. Also did some carrots, kale, and a bit of broccoli, basil, all with great results this year. Just had to move the basil indoors. Wow does it grow quickly.

Thomas, great stuff. I heard they liked the frost as well, almost didn't believe it! Was given some Elephant garlic a neighbor had grown and the taste was excellent when I blended it with basil for some noodles with parmesan. Think I'm gonna build a proper box instead of just using 10 and 25 gallon pots. I know I've seen your backyard in a pic before, but once again, that's a nice backyard.

Relic, was it you that had given me a recipe for homemade mustard?

------------------
Old 11-10-2015, 11:47 PM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
We did two Tomato plants for the store just because it is indeed a gardening shop. Sort of amazed it's still putting tomatoes out, and new flowers are popping up weekly. I'll try and get a pic up later, even though it's looking a bit weathered. People comment on them and then I tell them about the expensive fertilizers that we used that we just happen to sell also. Also did some carrots, kale, and a bit of broccoli, basil, all with great results this year. Just had to move the basil indoors. Wow does it grow quickly.

Thomas, great stuff. I heard they liked the frost as well, almost didn't believe it! Was given some Elephant garlic a neighbor had grown and the taste was excellent when I blended it with basil for some noodles with parmesan. Think I'm gonna build a proper box instead of just using 10 and 25 gallon pots. I know I've seen your backyard in a pic before, but once again, that's a nice backyard.

Relic, was it you that had given me a recipe for homemade mustard?
Yea. that was me. We still make and use that mustard! At holiday parties people ask us if we bought it at fancy groceries lol

------------------
Thanks to relic
GomesR (11-11-2015)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand

That garlic became nada, after nine months in the soil, with frost and everything..

I've expanded a bit on the evergreen sorts.. So while this pic is a few months old, from early autumn or something, then it almost looks the same now, in frost.

Code:

------------------
Old 01-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

First. Great thread necro. Totally forgot about this thread. Second, great picture. We havent planted anything since I started this thread I dont think...local vegatbles are so cheap in the summer it isnt worth the effort. Love living near farm land.

------------------
Thanks to relic
lolirl (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744001541
Thanked 6,682 Times in 4,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
That garlic became nada, after nine months in the soil, with frost and everything..

I've expanded a bit on the evergreen sorts.. So while this pic is a few months old, from early autumn or something, then it almost looks the same now, in frost.

Code:
That looks nice Thomas but you have a bit of a random mix of plants that enjoy different conditions in there tbh.
I would advise rethinking those conifers for a start, they will get massive, suck up all the moisture, kill all your heather and eventually swamp whatever the tree with the interesting bark is (beech maybe?).
Similar with the Yew unless you stay well on top of it, although they do grow a lot slower.
Also you could do with giving them all a bit more space.
The Laurels will fill out massively in the next few years, turning from little border shrubs to huge hedges.
Ferns tend to do well in shadier spots.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #11
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
That looks nice Thomas but you have a bit of a random mix of plants that enjoy different conditions in there tbh.
I would advise rethinking those conifers for a start, they will get massive, suck up all the moisture, kill all your heather and eventually swamp whatever the tree with the interesting bark is (beech maybe?).
Similar with the Yew unless you stay well on top of it, although they do grow a lot slower.
Also you could do with giving them all a bit more space.
The Laurels will fill out massively in the next few years, turning from little border shrubs to huge hedges.
Ferns tend to do well in shadier spots.
Thanks. This is definitely trial/error to some extent, but all of the plants were bought to enjoy a good bit of shade, due to a willow tree you can't see in the pic, and then normal, or normal to sour soil, they are in normal soil. It's not optimal, true. And yea, they will grow in different ways and so on, we hope they will grow slow. If they don't, then they will come to belong to the "error" part. Or just get trimmed a bit.

------------------
Thanks to Thomas
lolirl (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 PM   #12
GomesR
IDMf Supporter

I did a few different peppers this last summer, some Anaheims, Jalapeños, some other that didn't have the tags with it, something called an Armenian yard long (?) and some tomatos. The peppers were good but I found the secret to getting some heat going with them was to let them sit on the vine until they get some different hues from red to black going on. Also, not eating them until they've been off the vine for a day. Heat ensues.

That weird cucumber got thrown into the forest, I didn't really care to try it. The tomatoes didn't do that well, had deer sneaking in and sampling them too often. I didn't really have the time to guard from them.

------------------
Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #13
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
I did a few different peppers this last summer, some Anaheims, Jalapeños, some other that didn't have the tags with it, something called an Armenian yard long (?) and some tomatos. The peppers were good but I found the secret to getting some heat going with them was to let them sit on the vine until they get some different hues from red to black going on. Also, not eating them until they've been off the vine for a day. Heat ensues.

That weird cucumber got thrown into the forest, I didn't really care to try it. The tomatoes didn't do that well, had deer sneaking in and sampling them too often. I didn't really have the time to guard from them.
I just pictured you guarding your tomatoes from deer with a shotgun.

It was a great image.

------------------
Thanks to Thomas
GomesR (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #14
GomesR
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I just pictured you guarding your tomatoes from deer with a shotgun.

It was a great image.
Lol, my roommate was against it. I told him we could dress it out and eat it. He asked if I knew how to do it and I said "nah, but I could watch on YouTube."

Also had a skunk problem, little shit would wait for the door to open to run in the house, if you screamed at him he'd stomp his foot at you and get ready to spray. Since my roommate was an animal lover, I told him I'd put some meat in a live trap. He asked what I would do after I caught it, I said just forget about it, let nature do its thing. He doesn't want to do that either, whatever. Live on you piece of shit skunk.

------------------
Old 01-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #15
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Lol, my roommate was against it. I told him we could dress it out and eat it. He asked if I knew how to do it and I said "nah, but I could watch on YouTube."

Also had a skunk problem, little shit would wait for the door to open to run in the house, if you screamed at him he'd stomp his foot at you and get ready to spray. Since my roommate was an animal lover, I told him I'd put some meat in a live trap. He asked what I would do after I caught it, I said just forget about it, let nature do its thing. He doesn't want to do that either, whatever. Live on you piece of shit skunk.
And now I imagine you catching screaming skunks with live traps, drooling from just having eaten a dressed up deer. Planting more tomatoes enthusiastically.

------------------
Thanks to Thomas
GomesR (01-05-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 03:02 AM   #16
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526177
Thanked 1,759 Times in 1,143 Posts

dat Colorado life....

Code:

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #17
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 68760
Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,024 Posts

being an entrepreneur and being slightly better than an idiota at gardening; I offered to share some of my plants Im growing to my coworker instead of her buying them from home depot or something

im on dat local business rn, jk

but no seriously, I just got done planting a seed starter for some herbs; Chamomile, Stevia, lavender, Marjoram, and Spearmint.

I'm hoping to get them ready for outdoors and in planters by mid april.

~

Also I got a hold of some peace lilies that got a bit ravaged by cats(which is incredibly dumb for the cat considering its poisonous, which led the cat to eat aloe vera to try and stop vomiting but that might be anthropomorphism ) Been pruning dead growth, watering with my used fish water, and just trying to get it revitalized.

~

Lastly, on the aquatic side, I just bought some ludwigia glandulosa after being fooled by ludwigia palustris "green" a month ago. I wanted some more red in my aquarium besides my Rotalla Indica, so I bought this ludwigia palustris thinking its only green because of low light conditions from the wholeseller and store.

well, after a month of heavy nutrients and strong lights plus co2 injections, no red growth but plenty of green. I decided to look into the wholeseller for the plant and saw the store decided to drop the "green" part in the name and Im pretty salty.

Ludwigia glandulosa is a for sure red plant though even under low light, and I decided to grab that a few days ago.

~

besides all that though, I have some lucky "bamboo" my mom snipped off her plant for me, and plenty of pothos. a fun fact for pothos btw is you can drop a cutting into your HOB filter in an aquarium and its an absolute monster compared to low light aquatic plants for absorbing nitrates out of the water column

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Skrillex
relic (03-23-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #18
totes antenna
TOO on fleek
totes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond repute
Skyway Patrol
MC Status: 9660

evidently this smiley is called the "penis elf"

(relevance; you find these in the garden)
totes antenna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to totes antenna
PROton42 (03-05-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #19
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 68760
Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,024 Posts

has anyone had luck growing Protea?

Code:
the plant seems a bit expensive to source and theres conflicting husbandry for it. If anyones tried it let me know,

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Skrillex
relic (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #20
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Look at you Skirllex Greenthumb! I have no idea. I can grow some basic veggies and get them to produce, but its a haphazard process filled with a summer of cussing lol.

AND I decided to do some tomato plants just because I want to...because I can't get tomatoes like I remember from when I was a kid...those giant, shapeless blobs of awesome flavor. We always called them beefsteak tomatoes.

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to relic
Skrillex (03-23-2017)