Sending album CD to local radio station
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 17-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460
Sending album CD to local radio station

Any tips?

Good idea?

Pointless?

Try National radio also?

Advertisements

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to JayMSay
Old 18-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460
Re: Sending album CD to local radio station

Depends on the format of the radio station. Like, if it's a rock station or a Top 40 station, don't bother (unless it's rock/pop music that you're sending to them), but if it's a station that plays the kind of music you make, then definitely send it in! Also, if there are any college stations nearby, definitely hit them up, 'cause they deal mostly in local music and will usually play anything they like, regardless of genre.

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artifiseer
JayMSay (18-04-2014)
Old 18-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #3
Benwaa

when you say local, what do you mean? community radio? local bbc? commercial as fuck eg heart fm?
I worked at and ran a community FM station and in that respect it's generally down to if there's a show that's fitting. if so offer yourself up for an interview as well, it's almost guaranteed a community radio station would accept you, and this also guarantees air play too.

If it's local bbc, or other not so commercial a staion then just identify the appropriate show and email the presenter with a brief bio of yourself, a bit about the album and it's background, and a copy of the album obviously. it's pretty much the same process as sending a demo to a label, except with local radio you stand a good to high chance of actually getting on air.

If it's a full on commercial station like heart fm, then forget it.

and certainly try national radio. you'd be surprised how accommodating the beeb can be for new talent
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
JayMSay (18-04-2014)
Old 18-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute

Ok cool i live in a major city so what ill do is email the local community radios. And the university one also.

How come u say heart fm is community also but not to send to them..I dont get it?

Community is local but heart fm isnt?

As for local stations there are a few main ones that play nationwide that are based here. But they have some shows that cater to my type of music anyway.

I emailed the biggest radio station in my city already ill try the others.

------------------
Old 18-04-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
Benwaa

i said heart is commercial, i is local to me, but that's not the point. it's just an example of a proper commercial station the likes of which anything outside of a pre-programmed playlist of the charts is never going to get looked at. it isn't radio, it's just a media stream rather than a true radio station imo. i was just giving examples.

but yeah, do them all. well the ones that have a show that will play your style of tunes anyway.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 01:03 AM   #6
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
i said heart is commercial, i is local to me, but that's not the point. it's just an example of a proper commercial station the likes of which anything outside of a pre-programmed playlist of the charts is never going to get looked at. it isn't radio, it's just a media stream rather than a true radio station imo. i was just giving examples.

but yeah, do them all. well the ones that have a show that will play your style of tunes anyway.
ah right u just confused me so heart fm is community but also a big nationwide one...kinda confusing?

but i emailed the local ones and university that will do for now...these people know people so if any of them dig it it will move up the ladder i guess..

------------------
Old 18-04-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

IMO you're better off sending it to labels. Just my opinion
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
IMO you're better off sending it to labels. Just my opinion
google says opposite lol

Record compaines wont listen but radios might even give u air time

------------------
Old 18-04-2014, 02:50 AM   #9
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC

Same with big name radio, I don't mean big name labels
Old 18-04-2014, 02:54 AM   #10
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Same with big name radio, I don't mean big name labels
ah right so just google record labels for the genre im after?

------------------
Old 18-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #11
Benwaa

i think it's important to mention that radio in the UK is nothing near the same set up as the US.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #12
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
i think it's important to mention that radio in the UK is nothing near the same set up as the US.
VERRRRY important to mention that. radio DJs might have their own 2am picks but american radio is pretty much a playback of the billboard top 100 from the early 80s to now.

a year ago i got into a convo with a local college station DJ. i attempted to slip my own tracks into his playlist but he had a thing for purity ring. that was a lot of time investment for nothing... it seems like DJs here try and just play it safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMSay View Post
umm

to quote an A&R guy from atlantic:

"play shows, sell CDs. soundcloud/youtube views do not matter. only concrete numbers matter (itunes sales). we (atlantic) are not looking to foster potential talent, but to profit with existing talent."

Last edited by Wulfsok; 18-04-2014 at 05:21 AM..

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMSay View Post
Sure, I'm just saying your shit will guaranteed get overlooked if you send them to big name anything. If it's local radio for local artists, go for it. Local labels for your style are a good place to start, too.
Old 18-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

No idea what it's like in the UK but...

I used to work for a radio station here in the US, even went to broadsacting school. With big radio, as others have said, its an impossible thing to do, getting something played. Clear Channel is the biggest player here and when I was doing the radio thing the playlists were piped in from off site. Every track that's played is approved and put on the list by a suit in another state.

The "DJ's" have zero control over the show and don't even choose the order the tracks are to be played. Even the request line is a scam because they only play a "request" if it happens to be on the list already. This was 11 years ago and I'm sure it's only gotten worse since then.

Is this the same record you made for friends and family only or are you planning for the future?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
Wulfsok (18-04-2014)
Old 18-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
dapt funk
Soundwave Mangler
dapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MC
MC Status: 12698306

the best way to get attention from people is to go out of your way to meet them. your talking about sending a cd to a radio station, do you even know the names of any of the djs that work there? that would be a good start. its important to stroke peoples egos, their more inclined to be interested in what you have to offer that way

Think about it this way.. Dj gets sent anonymous mix tape with attached message 'please play this'.. scenario, wheres the bin?

Dj bumps into a person in the lift / car park / wherever... 'hey man, your xxxx, love your show.. that was a sick mix you did last Thursday, that tune, where did you get it? yada yada..' 'glad you liked it'... 'yea man, I do some of my own stuff'... 'you should send me some on facebook'...

seems obvious but if you want people to pat your back, you need to pat theirs
dapt funk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to dapt funk
JayMSay (18-04-2014)
Old 18-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40912

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapt funk View Post
seems obvious but if you want people to pat your back, you need to pat theirs
thats easier said than done with some of these producers. theres a double standard here

i keep seeing am producers on SC who only follow steve aoki and shit

"i wanna be rich and famous and have fancy cars and lots of sex too!" too bad

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #17
dapt funk
Soundwave Mangler
dapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MC
MC Status: 12698306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfsok View Post
thats easier said than done with some of these producers. theres a double standard here

i keep seeing am producers on SC who only follow steve aoki and shit

"i wanna be rich and famous and have fancy cars and lots of sex too!" too bad
I get you completely.. which is why artist managers exist. pay someone who is good at ass kissing

Advertisements

dapt funk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote