Reason 6.5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 26-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal
MC Status: 351
Reason 6.5

Hi all,

I'm an Ableton User (well, I haven't produced much in a while.. need a change) and I got a copy of Reason today through work (I work in the music biz) and I want to give it a shot because it looks cool and I've been told, production wise, that it is very good...

Should I try it out and learn it or not bother? Recently I haven't been creative much with Ableton

Also, Reason's Redrum looks sick.

Thanks for all the input!

Advertisements

------------------

reticent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460
Re: Reason 6.5

Reason is a really great program, especially for it's modular aspects. I don't personally use it, but I'd definitely recommend trying it out.

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107300
Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,381 Posts

I enjoy it much - doing some tutorials has made a world of difference for me - explaining all the instruments for one thing. I don't have 6.5 - some of the new stuff looks pretty good though.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal
MC Status: 351

HOLY MOLY

I LOVE REASON 6.5

seriously.. I'm so much more creative using this than ableton holy crap.. WOW

loving it

------------------

reticent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Triton64
Triton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MC
Having fun
MC Status: 22350264
Thanked 1,170 Times in 674 Posts

Third party support?

holy shit. A force to be reckoned with indeed.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The more you keep up w the board the less you'll want the OP at the top every time you open a thread you've been following and / or active in.
Triton64 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763

Having used Ableton, reason, audio mulch, and renoise, I settled on just sticking to Reason 6.5. because it has all the tools you need, everything else I feel should lie in my imagination. With all the routing capabilities and the combinator you can do all kinds of amazing things including all the cool stereo stuff, parallel processing and multiband stuff fancy plugins are always trying to promote.

As for arguments against reason here are my responses:

1. Your limited to the tools so anyone who uses it will have a "reason sound"

Yes its true although with rack extensions you can use more stuff if need be. I have heard that people can detect the sound of the scream 4 distortion (apparently you can hear it all over sebastian's tracks....) I myself cannot.

Plus I generally use samples from movies and vinyl so Im not even using native reason sound sources so I dont think anyone can tell. Also, apparently washed out, baths, schlohomo, flying lotus, luke vibert, zomby and other use reason and Ive never heard anyone say that their stuff has a reason sound.

2. Some people say the sequencer sucks.

To me its fine since I like to do lots of live knob automation in which case you just press record and twiddle away.

However, I will say Ableton has the most intuitive editing where you can just drag and drop stuff from anywhere in the computer onto the screen and easily do everything with the mouse where as reason you have to click on boxes to perform a specific function like splitting and erasing....
Plus, Abletons session view can be very creative with jamming clips and stuff.

I would love to rewire but rewiring reason into ableton sucks bause you cant live automate reason parameters you have to draw it in.... So I just stuck to reason.
henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryspencer View Post
I would love to rewire but rewiring reason into ableton sucks bause you cant live automate reason parameters you have to draw it in.... So I just stuck to reason.

wrong.

enjoy

you might even want to combine that with this, and have 48 knobs to play with:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by gbsr; 01-10-2012 at 07:33 AM..

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsr View Post
Hmm thats pretty cool. Do you think in the next version of ableton they will implement this in a more simple way where you can just do it within the program? Could they even go so far as to allow someone to copy a REX loop or Redrum pattern from reason into ableton directly?
henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Ukio Dzantala
Regular Freak
Ukio Dzantala is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Hello guys
I struggle to rewire Reaper into Reason 5. I want to use some of the reaper's plugins on some of my tracks in reason. That should happens live. Example: I can put some reverberation from Reaper on chosen track in Reason and if it's possible to export this reason's track with the effects from reaper.

thanks
Ukio Dzantala is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107300
Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,381 Posts

Well the problem is you are doing it backwards. You rewire Reason into Reaper. Imagine Reason as kind of a VST for Reaper when you are using rewire.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
Ukio Dzantala
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Well the problem is you are doing it backwards. You rewire Reason into Reaper. Imagine Reason as kind of a VST for Reaper when you are using rewire.
Thanks, I got it
I was able to rewire reason into reaper but my system crashed two times ;( so I will use the old fashion way - export/import. I really need some FX in real time for each track in Reason. I cannot think of any simple solution

thanks

Last edited by Ukio Dzantala; 28-10-2012 at 08:52 PM..
Old 29-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #12
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

Haha best name for a plug ever... Yoko Band-Splitter.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mimicry
oly (29-10-2012)
Old 29-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Electric Mantis
Minor Glitch
Electric Mantis is currently spamming hard
Alaska

Reason 6.5 is pretty awesome. If you're familiar with other music softwares than this shouldn't be TOO hard to get into. I think there's a Youtube video for just about every problem you can experience in the program with a way to fix it. Boyinaband's tutorials are pretty good if you're ever curious.
Electric Mantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
Ukio Dzantala
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicry View Post
Haha best name for a plug ever... Yoko Band-Splitter.
Haha thanks, that is really funny
Old 03-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
Lowbass
Minor Glitch
Lowbass is currently spamming hard
Granada

It's a shame Reason still has third party plugins vetoed
Lowbass is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
sonnx
Learning The Ropes
sonnx is currently spamming hard

The easiest way to learn a new daw is to just make stuff and google whatever you dont know how to do. Like automation, side-chaining or whatever. It was much harder the first time. Imo, and you might already be doing this Reason is awesome!
sonnx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #17
JTerror
Regular Freak
JTerror is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Mantis View Post
Reason 6.5 is pretty awesome. If you're familiar with other music softwares than this shouldn't be TOO hard to get into. I think there's a Youtube video for just about every problem you can experience in the program with a way to fix it. Boyinaband's tutorials are pretty good if you're ever curious.

boyinaband's tutorials are really good, indeed. It's how I learned a lot of the stuff that I know. Plus he does a lot of different genres of music. But Reason was the first software that I used. It seemed more natural and fun to mess with stuff that looks like physical hardware since I've only ever had an SP-404
JTerror is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
Snarkleberry
Learning The Ropes
Snarkleberry is currently spamming hard

Reason is an extremely versatile program. You can really make any kind of music you please with it. The only limitation to my knowledge is the lack of vst support, but I make due with it for all of my electronic creations.
Snarkleberry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299477

I don't know what I would do without reason.. 3 MUST HAVE applications:

1. Ableton(or a DAW with rewire capabilities)
2. Reason.
3. Reaktor.

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #20
Korrupter
Minor Glitch
Korrupter is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divercity View Post
I don't know what I would do without reason.. 3 MUST HAVE applications:

1. Ableton(or a DAW with rewire capabilities)
2. Reason.
3. Reaktor.
Reason is a great application, I used to swear by this setup. It is very resource friendly and offers a user pretty much everything they need apart from specialized solutions offered in a variety of different 3rd party plugins.

Advertisements

Korrupter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote