Is there any interest in theory lessons?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
IamOthello
Radial Developer
IamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to all
Small town Indiana.
MC Status: 560
Is there any interest in theory lessons?

Hello IDMForums. I've been trying to think how I could give back to the community for all the great support/discussion/exchange that goes on here. I've came to the conclusion that there is a lot of misinformation about music theory floating around in this subforum. Ranging from specific misunderstandings about harmony and even just music theory in general (treating all theory as if it is tonal theory, overlooking entire musical elements, or the misconception that music theory is strict rules, ).

I was wondering if there would be any interest in an audio/video lesson over music theory. I would start by covering one musical element at a time (e.g. harmony first, then harmony implied by melody, etc, and slow branch outwards). I teach theory at the collegiate level, I am top of my class at music theory, and I have read dozens of books about all facets of theory.

If I did do this, I would work inside my DAW, while starting at the basics and expanding outwards. I think I could teach 4 semesters of harmony study into about 30 videos.

I don't want to spend time doing this unless there is an actual interest for this. Let me know!

Advertisements

------------------
"We are masters of the unsaid words, yet slaves of those we let slip out."

zheaerosemusic.bandcamp.com
IamOthello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728
Re: Is there any interest in theory lessons?

Im interested to know

How would my music be explained with music theory?

Is it really really basic, is it easily explainable, is it just another common mood/progression whatever. Could it need a little more of something? If you can tell me what to improve I'd be happy to watch corresponding video
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
RaidenBeats
Fuck 'er Right N Da Pussy
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 41760

id be SUPER interested!

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
frenchboy
Analog Lurker
frenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Id watch it. I feel like there's only books on music theory and no videos. videos > books
frenchboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
XMtS
Regular Freak
XMtS has a spectacular aura aboutXMtS has a spectacular aura about
California
MC Status: 160

I'd be really interested. I find myself often frustrated with the lack of good specific information on theory on here and on the Internet in general.
XMtS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

I don't think its that bad honestly.
Half the time you have people on here asking for help with things that require long explanations and a solid theory background. When I give responses I try to make it simple enough that people can understand and then figure out a way to start using that element of theory in their own music. Yes, I skip the details a lot of the time, and yes, I oversimplify, but I do my best to help.

I've seen you complain about the "misinformation" about theory here a couple times, and until you do something about it you will always just be a whiner in my mind. Telling people to take ideas from classical pieces like Rite of Spring and Chopin's Nocturnes and stuff is honestly kind of childish, simply because electronic music is almost always 4/4 and theoretically simple, and there are not many people that have the knowledge to apply that kind of stuff in practise. You get off on having a theory background that not many people do around here, but giving people advice they can't use isn't really helping.

If you do end up making a 30 part video series I would definitely check it out though.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
IamOthello
Radial Developer
IamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to all
Small town Indiana.
MC Status: 560

Awesome, I am glad to see there is so much interest already. I still need to figure out a good capturing system and how to record everything. I've been wanting to do tutorials for awhile but have yet to really take the initiative on setting it all up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post
Half the time you have people on here asking for help with things that require long explanations and a solid theory background. When I give responses I try to make it simple enough that people can understand and then figure out a way to start using that element of theory in their own music. Yes, I skip the details a lot of the time, and yes, I oversimplify, but I do my best to help.

I've seen you complain about the "misinformation" about theory here a couple times, and until you do something about it you will always just be a whiner in my mind. Telling people to take ideas from classical pieces like Rite of Spring and Chopin's Nocturnes and stuff is honestly kind of childish, simply because electronic music is almost always 4/4 and theoretically simple, and there are not many people that have the knowledge to apply that kind of stuff in practise. You get off on having a theory background that not many people do around here, but giving people advice they can't use isn't really helping.

If you do end up making a 30 part video series I would definitely check it out though.
I agree, a lot of questions on here are asking about something that requires a lot more ground knowledge, which is why I am willing to make a videos starting with the basics and getting more complex.

Until I do something about it? I just offered to make dozens of videos, how does that not classify as wanting to do something about it? I never told anyone in that thread to take ideas from those pieces. I didn't post those videos in reply to the original poster. Someone else in the thread said something along the lines of, "the classics aren't known for rhythms" and I explained to him how that is incorrect and there is incredible rhythmic intricacy in a lot of "classic" works.

Who cares if MOST electronic music is a certain way? Why does anyone want to pigeon hole themselves into cliches and genre barriers? Most of the time electronic music is in 4/4 and simple because the composer doesn't have the tools and techniques to conceptualize in different ways other than what they have heard in their favorite electronic works already (which is mainly 4/4).

I don't "get off" on having a theory background. Hell, I don't have a "theory background". I started composition not knowing any theory 7 years ago but began independent research then collegiate research. I only posted my credentials so people would know they wouldn't be getting shitty advice from an unqualified baboon. I don't care if people write complex music, or have a knowledge of theory. Some of my favorite music is simple ambient works that exist as a single pitch sustained for the whole piece. I have a passion for music, especially electronic music, and want to share knowledge that I have with a part of that electronic scene.

Last edited by IamOthello; 03-03-2013 at 06:13 PM..

------------------
"We are masters of the unsaid words, yet slaves of those we let slip out."

zheaerosemusic.bandcamp.com
IamOthello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106800
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote:
Telling people to take ideas from classical pieces like Rite of Spring and Chopin's Nocturnes and stuff is honestly kind of childish, simply because electronic music is almost always 4/4 and theoretically simple.

I think more than a few people here would prefer to listen to the The Rite of Spring than generic 4/4 dance music and would be more likely to get inspiration from it than say.... Avicii.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
I think more than a few people here would prefer to listen to the The Rite of Spring than generic 4/4 dance music and would be more likely to get inspiration from it than say.... Avicii.
4/4 =/= 4-on-the-floor
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106800
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote:
4/4 =/= 4-on-the-floor
Correct.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts

I'd be very interested in such a totorial/work shop!
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
MKoussa
-_\\\
MKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MC
Kansas City
MC Status: 62780155

Yes!! Very much so!!!

------------------
Out Now! Free Download

http://www.MKoussa.com/
MKoussa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
whatshudido
Regular Freak
whatshudido is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

yessssssssssss pleaseeeeeeeee i am!!!! INTERESTED!!! its just what i NEED!!!!!!!!
whatshudido is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
I Am Me
Analog Lurker
I Am Me is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

i would greatly like to watch you video tutorials, i myself dont know much about theory/composition
I Am Me is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

cool, i wouldn't get too complicated, cause theory can get "complicated". i mean that like a complicated relationship complicated. anyway hahaha. maybe teach:

1. some simple scales
2. how to create triads/7ths/1000000ths/space chords whatever from those scales
3. maybe touch upon melodies, inside/outside notes of the chords
4. maybe briefly discuss slash chords/inversions (i think these concepts are pretty simple to understand)

and i think that's all one should need, in an electronic music sense. from there if you want to get crazy i think that is up to the producer to go explore scales and progressions and musical ideas that move them, or explore older scales that are culturally based (only found in German music, or Dutch music) or just do everything in the blues format and you'll just win every time. if you're going to be a composer and listen to danny elfman hum for you, then you should learn everything and thats a different tale.

sometimes in my theory classes now i have to go up after class to make sure i understood what he was explaining. sometimes it gets so frustrating i don't even know. but it feels so gewd when you understand THEN apply it. when you learn it-apply it- and your brain will go crazy with creativity and ideas. or just like when you're looking for samples and you pass one totally irrelevant to your current tune you are working on but you somehow have to start a new song with that sample cause it was soooooo good. like that.

Last edited by SKYCORE; 03-03-2013 at 11:06 PM..
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SKYCORE
Automageddon (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
cool, i wouldn't get too complicated, cause theory can get "complicated". i mean that like a complicated relationship complicated. anyway hahaha. maybe teach:

1. some simple scales
2. how to create triads/7ths/1000000ths/space chords whatever from those scales
3. maybe touch upon melodies, inside/outside notes of the chords
4. maybe briefly discuss slash chords/inversions (i think these concepts are pretty simple to understand)

and i think that's all one should need, in an electronic music sense. from there if you want to get crazy i think that is up to the producer to go explore scales and progressions and musical ideas that move them, or explore older scales that are culturally based (only found in German music, or Dutch music) or just do everything in the blues format and you'll just win every time. if you're going to be a composer and listen to danny elfman hum for you, then you should learn everything and thats a different tale.

sometimes in my theory classes now i have to go up after class to make sure i understood what he was explaining. sometimes it gets so frustrating i don't even know. but it feels so gewd when you understand THEN apply it. when you learn it-apply it- and your brain will go crazy with creativity and ideas. or just like when you're looking for samples and you pass one totally irrelevant to your current tune you are working on but you somehow have to start a new song with that sample cause it was soooooo good. like that.
Sounds great! Please do it!
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
penchnombreh
Regular Freak
penchnombreh has a spectacular aura aboutpenchnombreh has a spectacular aura about
Manitoba

Yes, I'd be interested!
penchnombreh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
Kieran Bolger
Granular Poster
Kieran Bolger is just really niceKieran Bolger is just really niceKieran Bolger is just really niceKieran Bolger is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Yeh I'd be interested in this!
Kieran Bolger is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
manducator
manducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MC
MC Status: 251895

I would be interested too!
manducator is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #20
gradgt
Minor Glitch
gradgt has a spectacular aura aboutgradgt has a spectacular aura about
San Fransisco, CA

I'd definitely watch it if you made it. I'm sure many thousands of people on youtube would love to see it too!

Advertisements

gradgt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote