Prince Fatty interview
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 21-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560
Prince Fatty interview

Saw this awhile back, watched it again yesterday. It's a really entertaining and informative look at the process and history of recording dub and reggae from a guy at the top of the game, and some really cool non-genre specific mix/effect ideas to boot. Definitely some tricks that anyone doing IDM-ish stuff could use. Thought some people (especially you hardware folks) might get a kick out of it.

Advertisements

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541080
Thanked 7,003 Times in 4,976 Posts
Re: Prince Fatty interview

Never heard of him. Defo gonna peep this!

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

When I was at uni we went to a nearby venue where he was playing that night and him and mad professor talked us through their live rig and dub techniques and all that stuff. I genuinely can't really remember but it was just an 8 track mixer and a tape machine for the delay send. It might have been an 8 track running the music too I can't remember. Everybody got up at one point to have a go and I just stayed sat because im a cunt and really wasn't interested. It was just a mixer with a delay send! Anyway yeah... Anecdote

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
When I was at uni we went to a nearby venue where he was playing that night and him and mad professor talked us through their live rig and dub techniques and all that stuff. I genuinely can't really remember but it was just an 8 track mixer and a tape machine for the delay send. It might have been an 8 track running the music too I can't remember. Everybody got up at one point to have a go and I just stayed sat because im a cunt and really wasn't interested. It was just a mixer with a delay send! Anyway yeah... Anecdote
Yea. Nothing special about a basic dub setup. Its more learning to play the FX and board like an instrument. And maybe that isn't even that special. Dub is a genre I love, but it takes a lot of effort to make it worth listening to IMO...but I guess that is pretty true of any genre.

------------------
Thanks to relic
FunkMasterBrown (23-09-2017)
Old 23-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Cool shit .. im gonna check this out.
thx for this
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

Thanks for the vid, I've been binging on a few of these type of studio insight vids from various producers and engineers over the last few weeks.

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Optimal Prime
relic (23-09-2017)
Old 23-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3463805

Fantastic interview that, thanks for posting.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
Adelina
Radial Developer
Adelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Incredible interview! I'm enjoyed!
Adelina is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21310

That was great, I'm really looking forward to trying some of his delay tricks in the house-y stuff I'm making right now and seeing what happens.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
relic (24-09-2017)
Old 24-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
That was great, I'm really looking forward to trying some of his delay tricks in the house-y stuff I'm making right now and seeing what happens.
I was really interested in the technique of long pre-delays to help clean up reverb useage in tracks as well.

------------------
Old 04-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
Iyashi Sound
Microknight
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4360

After watching this video a while back I picked up the "Dele Sosimi meets Prince Fatty & Nostalgia 77" album on vinyl (from "wah wah 45s") and I can totally recommend it! The style is uptempo Nigerian "afrobeat" party music, but here given the full Fatty dub treatment. It's very well produced overall, and has some great playing from the musicians too.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 04-10-2017 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: spelling

Advertisements

Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
relic (04-10-2017)