Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would like? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 23-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #41
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts
Re: Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would l

I'm guessing this will all be lost on the OP as it turns out they are really just butthurt that more people like Justin Bieber than Aphex Twin and that Justin Bieber doesn't work as hard or isn't an artist or whatever other drivel. That seems to be the crux of the issue if you read the first dozen replies.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #42
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts
Re: Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would l

I just do whatever I want musically. the main issues that i have are that i have 5 different projects with different styles going...i can't bring myself to put my technical prog metal project into my death metal project or my ambient project into my synthwave project so mafacka has to have 5 different 'bands' to get his various tunes out. Go figure. I like when people dig my tunes but i really just do music because I'm a creative guy and i can't live my life without making stuff. I don't even see how people work jobs, come home at night and just watch netflix and sit there doing nothing but looking at their lives go by without bringing something to life, be it a decorative quilt or a song. But genres dictate to me that my country songs don't go well with my brutal death metal songs so things gotta get divided up.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 04:14 AM   #43
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
But genres dictate to me that my country songs don't go well with my brutal death metal songs so things gotta get divided up.
Genres also dictate to pour feelings and ideas into specific differentiated buckets such as "country songs" and "brutal death metal songs". How about doing a brutal-death-in-the-countryside-metal song instead?

Seriously though, did you have some collabs between all those projects? Might be interesting to start combining all those different artistic sides...

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Metaside
A.M (02-07-2017)
Old 26-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #44
Adelina
Radial Developer
Adelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

I suppose that music should locate on facet between what people like and your creative impulse. It often happens that artist believe that his art is great and so genious and people don`t understand him but actually he is mediocre and people feel this. Genuine people who were geniuses didn`t think about such a things. They just created and all! People feel sincerity. If you do well and with a soul, then you will still be in demand.
Adelina is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Adelina
Guardian (26-06-2017)
Old 26-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #45
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4560

Just write music nobody (including yourself) likes. Problem solved.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #46
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
Underground. :justlookatit:
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
-Agu- (26-06-2017)
Old 26-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #47
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19860

As a person who has owned a lot of gear I can say that if you are very wealthy knock yourself out, but if you are like the rest of us plebeians than find about 3-4 pieces of gear you really like that cover what you want and use those for some years. Get to know the pieces and you will find the sound you want from them, and only expand when you've made exponential progress on what you have.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 06:24 AM   #48
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

I make music that I like. When I finish song I really end up with songs that I like to listen. I could listen to my songs.
Few days ago I was chilling, music on PC was playing, tune sound familiar. I'm like, wait, why the fuck is this so familiar... after half a minute or so I realized its my song...

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mario D
dark_virus (03-07-2017)
Old 28-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #49
Adelina
Radial Developer
Adelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
And for what?
Old 28-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #50
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelina View Post
And for what?
It was meant to be a joke. But now when thinking more about it, one could possibly learn something from it.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #51
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 571101

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would like?

I tend to deviate to creating only my genuine ideas, because I find it uninteresting to try to subscribe to certain genre techniques. Rather I tend to write whatever comes. Whatever I think sounds interesting, regardless of what it is. Of course I'm influenced by others' music, but I never start writing music with a genre or something in my head. I merely try out stuff until I find something to work on.

This poses some problems though. How can you ever predict, whether your style will ever appeal to others. After all I think everyone desires to be liked, because it makes your music more "valid" or accepted. And some people believe that only music that appeals to people can be good music or good art. If the art never reaches the general population, then what is its worth?

Then again there have been artists such as Van Gogh who were not popular during their lifetime, but rather became admired after his death.

So should you listen to yourself and only yourself or should you listen to others as well?

Creating any kind of artistic work, thinking it is to please others is not a philosophy. It's conformism. It's a approval-seeking behavior and acting.

You will find much more satisfaction in your work if you do what you like, not what you think others would like.

Finding out what you really really like, what moves you deeply, might take some time. And that is okay.

But don't like something just because others like the current two-week-lasting trends in modern music.

You don't need to 'understand' how other artists think. Other artists are already out there doing their thing. The world does not need another one of them, the world needs your first YOU. So do your thing, worry less about validation from others and find yourself in your music. Let the music write itself at some point, don't resist it too much by categorizing everything and losing your creative intent under the spell of the 'What Would Others THink'-discourse.

There are MANY MANY people out there with awful taste in music. So keep that in mind.

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #52
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19860

Simply write what you want to write, and those that like it will gravitate to you. Create your sound.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NewWorldOrder
A.M (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #53
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710

Quote:
That's how noise and vaporwave got started, but unfortunately people actually like that shit

I'm pretty sure that's how metal started, too. Fuck it, I built my taste around bullshit music
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:52 AM   #54
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
That's how noise and vaporwave got started, but unfortunately people actually like that shit

I'm pretty sure that's how metal started, too. Fuck it, I built my taste around bullshit music
Seapunk? Adult Contemporary? Elevator Jazz Fusion?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Vault O))) (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #55
Adelina
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
Simply write what you want to write, and those that like it will gravitate to you. Create your sound.
Exactly. People feel when it is written with a soul.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #56
dark_virus
Minor Glitch
dark_virus has a spectacular aura aboutdark_virus has a spectacular aura aboutdark_virus has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I could not do what people like even If I wanted to.

As a personal hobby, the "art" (if I may) is much more about the process than the result. Sitting and enjoying something I put a lot of effort on is rewarding.

Of course it's cool if someone like it and relate to it but I'm fair selfish about this matter because I'm the one and only audience that must be pleasured.

------------------
dark_virus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #57
hendu12
Minor Glitch
hendu12 is a jewel in the roughhendu12 is a jewel in the roughhendu12 is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

You're standing on the shoulders of giants. I say rip off your inspirations, and you'll eventually land upon your "true" style. Take Tycho for instance. He's ripped off Boards of Canada so much on his earlier releases that it almost feels like plagiarism. But now he's found his groove on later releases like Dive and Awake.
hendu12 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to hendu12
Daggit (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #58
Black-Antlers
Minor Glitch
Black-Antlers will become famous soon enoughBlack-Antlers will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendu12 View Post
You're standing on the shoulders of giants. I say rip off your inspirations, and you'll eventually land upon your "true" style. Take Tycho for instance. He's ripped off Boards of Canada so much on his earlier releases that it almost feels like plagiarism. But now he's found his groove on later releases like Dive and Awake.
I agree. I remember David gilmour reccommended the same thing in an interview. However I recently read this book on Andrei Tarkovski ( Russian movie director) where he really focuses on how an artist has no right to copy for the sake of success and has a duty to express themselves in their own unique way and trust that there are others like you out there whom your music will speak to.
Black-Antlers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #59
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

I don't like Aphex Twin or Beiber. Both of them seem to be just out there for popularity and conformity these days. OK, I exaggerate a little bit.

Anyways, before anybody flames me... I'll shut up about that.

I like to try to create a new subgenre with every tune. I feel that every new tune should be genuinely NEW and fresh and exciting and inspiring and surprising somehow. It just can't happen that often if trying to fit the mold.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #60
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,903 Posts

my favorite thing ever is producers saying each tune they create is a new subgenre

Advertisements

fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote