Soundcloud is almost dead, what's next? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:52 AM   #41
logamp
Learning The Ropes
logamp will become famous soon enoughlogamp will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Re: Soundcloud is almost dead, what's next?

hello not sure if it's to late to add comments onto this thread but I'm the owner of logamp. thank you for all of you who check out the website, I been updating the website and getting android app up to date. It does take some time because I also got a job got to pay bills :/.

Advertisements

logamp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:40 AM   #42
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19910

I thought soundcloud was for the little guy at first, but there are guys that are big EDM and Hip Hop heads who are dominating it, there are now ads, I have hardly seen any increase in my plays like I used to see when in groups, and there has been no benefit such as the one time they had the beautiful now competition which was an excellent find sense most music competitions I find are hogwash, and everything on it is so uninspiring to me.

When people ask me have you heard my track on sound cloud or have you heard this on sound cloud it honestly usually is a no from me. I wish there was a social network for underground musicians to flourish, but I also know personally a lot of this promotion is more than a site. I'm just saying in my personal experience it seemed more helpful years ago. I can hardly even find groups as easily as before.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NewWorldOrder
lucky one (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #43
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

well youtube does everything soundcloud can +provides video
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #44
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
well youtube does everything soundcloud can +provides video
well, you need to render the entire video for every single piece of shit track and you might not get that much of traffic on it because youtube is not only music uploads, you know. You go to youtube if you're really up for uploading entire pieces of work, a full album for others pleasure but individual tracks and work in progress is just a waste of space. Tag as you want, nobody will care unless somebody else uploads your music or look specifically for you there while typing in the search box.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #45
logamp
Learning The Ropes
logamp will become famous soon enoughlogamp will become famous soon enough

Thank You for sharing Logamp.com. More updates are coming. Right now focusing on improving the android app . It takes time to make something good.

Last edited by logamp; 10-03-2016 at 12:09 AM..
logamp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #46
Airtime
Minor Glitch
Airtime will become famous soon enoughAirtime will become famous soon enough

Yes, soundcloud is still quite handy. For some reason, one of our songs was a related track for that 0PN remix of a Four Tet song, gave us quite a few listens.

------------------
Airtime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #47
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Don't Universal Music already own most of it?
what gets me is the ads. this internet is nothing but ads. i wish there was a way for companies to stop bothering the poor citizens of the internet and in their poor cars on their way to work. it's very sad

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #48
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoxygen View Post
what gets me is the ads. this internet is nothing but ads. i wish there was a way for companies to stop bothering the poor citizens of the internet and in their poor cars on their way to work. it's very sad
Well, a company has to run on something?
I don't get people who complain about, for example, Spotify ads. It's a huge library of music given to you for free? As an user, you either support the company by paying them directly, or having them advertise to you.

Tho it would be funny to have some other type of "payment". Like, let Spotify use a portion of your PC's CPU or something like that.

On the topic: I don't believe that Soundcloud is dying yet. Didn't they make a deal with Sony just now? They are launching a same type of service like Spotify: Where you pay x amount of money every month to listen to commercial music and stuff.

If Soundcloud has to up the ads to keep running, I hope they will do it.

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #49
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Academy View Post
Well, a company has to run on something?
I don't get people who complain about, for example, Spotify ads. It's a huge library of music given to you for free? As an user, you either support the company by paying them directly, or having them advertise to you.

Tho it would be funny to have some other type of "payment". Like, let Spotify use a portion of your PC's CPU or something like that.

On the topic: I don't believe that Soundcloud is dying yet. Didn't they make a deal with Sony just now? They are launching a same type of service like Spotify: Where you pay x amount of money every month to listen to commercial music and stuff.

If Soundcloud has to up the ads to keep running, I hope they will do it.
I pay for soundcloud just as a musician and I still get ads? If they're going to have ads at least take it off for paid members.

I think the original idea of soundcloud is dying. These ideas:
1. A place for the indie artist to get a bit of a buzz, and be a bit centralized
2. A place for the dj

I think what ruined it was :
1. The DJs posting mixes using commercial music, and big companies saying I want a piece of that money for that.
2. A lot of rappers and edm over saturating it with honestly bad music.
A. Bad music not as in they are decent, but bad mix quality
B. Same repetitive thing
C. Songs that lack a lot. (Ex. I have a friend who hey bless him want to make music and I'm not against that, but his music is awful. I tell him how to improve, but rather then to take the time to improve he just keeps putting out.)
3. Quantity over quality
I find often people would rather just put the music out instead of working to improve it. People grill me that are djs, a&rs, and other such because I don't put out a song everyday. I dont because I'm not going to upload a low quality song for 100 plays and 7 followers 3 of which may unfollow me later that week, and then have a crowded soundcloud. I'd rather work on a project let it be high quality and then promote it before it comes out and release it.
4. Corporate greed
People like Sony and Universal who feel like they need that money from soundcloud and they need the platform to make more money for themselves.

These are some of the things I feel like ruined soundcloud or rather is dragging it down. There are still positives, but I feel like these are just some of the negatives.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 12:39 AM   #50
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I pay for soundcloud just as a musician and I still get ads? If they're going to have ads at least take it off for paid members.

I think the original idea of soundcloud is dying. These ideas:
1. A place for the indie artist to get a bit of a buzz, and be a bit centralized
2. A place for the dj

1. The DJs posting mixes using commercial music, and big companies saying I want a piece of that money for that.
2. A lot of rappers and edm over saturating it with honestly bad music.
A. Bad music not as in they are decent, but bad mix quality
B. Same repetitive thing
C. Songs that lack a lot. (Ex. I have a friend who hey bless him want to make music and I'm not against that, but his music is awful. I tell him how to improve, but rather then to take the time to improve he just keeps putting out.)
3. Quantity over quality
I find often people would rather just put the music out instead of working to improve it. People grill me that are djs, a&rs, and other such because I don't put out a song everyday. I dont because I'm not going to upload a low quality song for 100 plays and 7 followers 3 of which may unfollow me later that week, and then have a crowded soundcloud. I'd rather work on a project let it be high quality and then promote it before it comes out and release it.
4. Corporate greed
People like Sony and Universal who feel like they need that money from soundcloud and they need the platform to make more money for themselves.

These are some of the things I feel like ruined soundcloud or rather is dragging it down. There are still positives, but I feel like these are just some of the negatives.
1. If company has a legal reason to tell Soundcloud that "I want piece of that", it will use it. It's a principle. It's not like there would be a worker whose job is to decide who they will go after and who don't

2. You say Soundcloud should be for indie artist. If Soundcloud had some sort of quality-approval method on deciding who gets to upload and who not, it would result in not supporting the indie artists. Second, are you going to have workers who listen to every track and decides if the quality is good? How would you accomplish this? Approved labels can only post? What about indie then?

3. Soundcloud is limiting (and has always limited) the amount of stuff you can upload. If you want to upload a lot, then you pay. I think this is fairly reasonable solution and I don't see a problem with the idea.

4. Again, not creed, it's the principles of the corporate. It's not a charity.

EVERY company has a goal to develop, to get bigger. It's the basics of a company. Even Soundcloud. With bigger company, larger amount of users -> Larger amount of crap AND good stuff, BOTH. The problem with Soundcloud is that as it got bigger (which is good in a way), it could not operate with its current business model. That is the reason why Soundcloud is dying (or was, not sure if the Sony deal sparks it up.

If you want an underground community for indie artists to network and share their track, you should have left Soundcloud quite a while ago.

------------------

Thanks to Johnson Academy
relic (29-03-2016)
Old 29-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #51
Sonar
Analog Lurker
Sonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

There is always resistance to changes from any service's old users. Massive drop in SC's audience could be the most solid proof of the new features' fail, but that's not what's happening. So it seams like updates are not at all bad or at least they don't bother most of the listeners.

Last edited by Sonar; 29-03-2016 at 04:50 PM..
Sonar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #52
Sonar
Analog Lurker
Sonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

By the way, speaking of the new features: SC has just launched its subscription service for listeners called SoundCloud Go. Is anyone of you going to try it?
Sonar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #53
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390629

here it is ladies & gentlemen, the official death of soundcloud. R.I.P. i guess- it had a moderate run and a good couple years

http://www.nylon.com/articles/soundc..._content=title

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #54
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
here it is ladies & gentlemen, the official death of soundcloud. R.I.P. i guess- it had a moderate run and a good couple years

What do you mean by death?

edit: 3rd most popular music app, doesn't cost you anything to get your tunes there, still people complaining that it is shit?

Last edited by Johnson Academy; 29-03-2016 at 05:53 PM..

------------------

Old 29-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #55
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
SounCloud Go allows users to play music offline, as well as offers an ad-free experience and a larger catalog of artists. (Users will have the option of trying out the service with a 30-day free trial.) SoundCloud’s depository of tunes isn’t as vast as streaming giants like Apple Music and Spotify, but users will have access to music from the three major labels (Universal, Sony, and Warner) and more than 20,000 independent labels.
So, just like Spotify? I mean, you aren't forced to pay anything to use Soundcloud and you still can continue to keep up with this not-so-tiny circle of artists you actually care about while ignoring anything else that is trending. This always was and still is an option.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #56
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts

lol...

everything should be free
everything should be indie/underground
no corporations, but I want complex free shit to exist for me to use
i want i want i want, me me me me me

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Old 29-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #57
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
No. Lots of talk about "bad" music on Soundcloud, and I think that's absolutely ridiculous. Especially since early on in Soundcloud's life when there was much more of a "community" there, people really took the initiative and tried to give honest feedback and help each other to improve.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #58
lucky one
IDMf Artist
lucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MC
Liège
MC Status: 1900328

The only point I don't see in this conversation, is this one:
- I pay only 29$/year to Distrokid to get my music on Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, iTunes, Google... then get paid back on each stream. This plan includes infinite upload
- I pay 35$/year to SoundCloud to get my music only on SoundCloud, then get nothing per stream. Only 6 hours upload.

When SoundCloud was doing zéro money from listeners, it was ok, it was good to share music for free!
But now, if SounCloud becomes more expensive than spotify, it's not as fair imo.

Luc

------------------
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #59
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky one View Post
The only point I don't see in this conversation, is this one:
- I pay only 29$/year to Distrokid to get my music on Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, iTunes, Google... then get paid back on each stream. This plan includes infinite upload
- I pay 35$/year to SoundCloud to get my music only on SoundCloud, then get nothing per stream. Only 6 hours upload.

When SoundCloud was doing zéro money from listeners, it was ok, it was good to share music for free!
But now, if SounCloud becomes more expensive than spotify, it's not as fair imo.

Luc
Is Distrokid any good? I didn't even know about this sort of service.

------------------

Old 29-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #60
lucky one
IDMf Artist
lucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MC
Liège
MC Status: 1900328

I use it for 2 years now and I am perfectly happy.
I was lucky on Spotify and had a lot of streams, so I earned more than I paid up to now.
I you want to use distrokid, you can get a 7% off deal with this link: https://distrokid.com/vip/seven/558542

I also heard good things about AMAdea Music. It's totaly free but they keep 10% of your earnings I think. http://www.amadeamusic.com/

Cheers,

Luc

Advertisements

------------------
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote