Soundcloud is almost dead, what's next? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #21
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts
Re: Soundcloud is almost dead, what's next? logamp?

I was a paying customer for couple of years on SC. I switched to hearthis.at half a year ago or so, haven't regretted it since. Now I don't have to pay for hosting above 100mins or what it was the last time on SC, my tracks get far more swift attention as some of them are topping the hearthis charts. I know that SC is bigger, I just dislike the pay-to-upload-above-x system, and I also found it was down a tad too often for maintenance in the years I was on there. That's about it.

Advertisements

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #22
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand

Oh, there are in my experience, less likes and comments to harvest on hearthis. Far less.

That's a bummer if that's your kick.

------------------
Old 08-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #23
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080164
Thanked 1,230 Times in 830 Posts

topping the charts sounds cool too. one would need a few 100k plays to achieve that on soundcloud, i guess. how does that work on hearthis?

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #24
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
topping the charts sounds cool too. one would need a few 100k plays to achieve that on soundcloud, i guess. how does that work on hearthis?
I'm not too sure about the algorithm, but I assume it has something to do with plays and picks or something. Maybe mostly the former.

------------------
Old 08-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #25
Benwaa

Soundcloud isn't dead, "social" media is. The sooner we stop pretending anything related to promotion of any kind isn't social the better.

To expand further, SC did what no one else was doing at the time. It grew wonderfully because of what it offered. As with any company that becomes the number 1 go to in its field it's going to have haters for any little thing. It's never going to get any better imo, and there's never going to be a site that will be up to the job either, not now the world and his inbred cousin are onboard sc.
it's the most major music sharing site out there and if you're not using it it's missing a great opportunity to connect in the most direct way with music fans.
I know plenty of people who are listeners only and none of them, not one single one of them, are interested in any other service. The simplicity of SC is too easy for them to engage with, and as with any internet user in this day and age, minimal clicks and easiest to use get the vote every time.
So no, sc is far from dead. What's next? Another attempt to usurp what sc does but never quite cuts it is what.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #26
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Wanna make it big with music? Make it big on youtube.

------------------
Old 08-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #27
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
Soundcloud isn't dead, "social" media is. The sooner we stop pretending anything related to promotion of any kind isn't social the better.

To expand further, SC did what no one else was doing at the time. It grew wonderfully because of what it offered. As with any company that becomes the number 1 go to in its field it's going to have haters for any little thing. It's never going to get any better imo, and there's never going to be a site that will be up to the job either, not now the world and his inbred cousin are onboard sc.
it's the most major music sharing site out there and if you're not using it it's missing a great opportunity to connect in the most direct way with music fans.
I know plenty of people who are listeners only and none of them, not one single one of them, are interested in any other service. The simplicity of SC is too easy for them to engage with, and as with any internet user in this day and age, minimal clicks and easiest to use get the vote every time.
So no, sc is far from dead. What's next? Another attempt to usurp what sc does but never quite cuts it is what.
It's few amateur artsits who get the attention they deserve on social media imo, it usually takes social skills far beyond any other skill.. Post a picture of your new chocolate cake or a flower tho, and anyone can get a good round o' likes

------------------
Thanks to Thomas
FunkMasterBrown (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #28
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
It's few amateur artsits who get the attention they deserve on social media imo, it usually takes social skills far beyond any other skill.. Post a picture of your new chocolate cake or a flower tho, and anyone can get a good round o' likes
Yeah I don't question that at all. New things popping up as the "next sc" or "sc alternative" aren't going to change that though. And to really highlight what you say, when I was using Facebook a pan of soup I made got more interaction than any of my music ever did
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #29
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf

i noticed a few peeps sporting a hearthis boner. do they pay for new members? i am ok with that as long as you say it

fuck i am glad i earn my money with scores

------------------
Old 01-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #30
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post

Sounds about right.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:37 AM   #31
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19910

Do people really use hearthis? I have one, but I ignore it most of the time because I didnt think it got hardly any traffic.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:43 AM   #32
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

I just logged in to my hearthis and have twice as many followers now as the last time I was on there....which was a year ago. It's up to a whopping 14 followers.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
jVs (08-03-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #33
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I just logged in to my hearthis and have twice as many followers now as the last time I was on there....which was a year ago. It's up to a whopping 14 followers.
haha in my opinion nothing seems to be competing with soundcloud

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #34
brodel34
Regular Freak
brodel34 will become famous soon enoughbrodel34 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

lol man sc has never been bigger. not sure where you are getting this.
brodel34 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #35
lucky one
IDMf Artist
lucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MC
Liège
MC Status: 1900328

When I was saying that SounCloud is almost dead, I was talking about the kind of community spirit I have experimented in the first years on that platform. Two or three years ago, SoundCloud did some changes that completely killed the interactions between SoundCloud users (full comments, group discussions...) and completely killed that community experience for me.

Now it seems that SoundCloud has big financial issues and might die for real

- http://www.news.com.au/sport/live-co...4c0ba07d09bbb9

- http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.co...need-of-a-fix/

Last edited by lucky one; 12-02-2016 at 10:07 AM..

------------------
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #36
ab
IDMf Artist
Duesseldorf
Re: Soundcloud is almost dead, what's next?

"dead" meaning "ownership of current board is in question". i doubt the userbase with all the accumulated data etc will disappear. i guess some other company will wait til they file for bankruptcy and pick sc up on the cheap. lets hope its not a marketing company.

------------------
Old 12-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #37
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

Quote:
"dead" meaning "ownership of current board is in question". i doubt the userbase with all the accumulated data etc will disappear. i guess some other company will wait til they file for bankruptcy and pick sc up on the cheap. lets hope its not a marketing company.
I would love to see a private person buy the whole thing. Like a succesful musician. But I think it may be a bit too big for just one person to buy. Talking bout the 44m loss here.

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #38
lucky one
IDMf Artist
lucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MC
Liège
MC Status: 1900328

Quote:
lets hope its not a marketing company.
Indeed!

------------------
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #39
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388349
Thanked 5,087 Times in 3,317 Posts

Don't Universal Music already own most of it?

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #40
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

Oh my god you guys! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Quote:
Nah, UMG will just keep giving them beef injections laced with cash and gradually put more chairs on the board and then they'll "acquire" them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Don't Universal Music already own most of it?
Pretty much. I still have subscriptions but more and more I'm starting to question the point, especially because I'm not even very active on the site.

I think we'll end up seeing more cunts like Kanye (or whoever is famous or whatever idk) dropping soundcloud into shit and stuff.

Really though, SC's been dead since it became the "new" SC. They took a perfectly healthy website, ate its brains and turned out a zombie imho.

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
lucky one (12-02-2016)