Tutorial: How to get your bass sounding big, wide, and clean - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
Matt Kwid
Analog Lurker
Matt Kwid has a spectacular aura aboutMatt Kwid has a spectacular aura about
Austin
MC Status: 160
Re: Tutorial: How to get your bass sounding big, wide, and clean

Thanks for posting this. The widening of the upper freqs was not something I have ever tried.

Advertisements

Matt Kwid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

i would like to add, also... don't use Joint Stereo when you convert to MP3. It will collapse all of your stereophonic bass frequencies into mono, but if they aren't in good phase you just lose them. And even if they do sum alright, they won't be wide anymore. Solution? Make sure to manually choose stereo instead of joint stereo for MP3 encoding. But be warned, joint stereo is the default for MP3 encoding on most if not all encoders.

or better yet... don't use MP3 use FLAC or WAVpack.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #23
Forman Empire
Granular Poster
Forman Empire will become famous soon enoughForman Empire will become famous soon enough
Sheffield
MC Status: 110

When people split instruments like this do you prefer steep or gradual slopes on the EQ?
Forman Empire is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1096947

I prefer gradual slopes.

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Phantasy Star Online!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #25
Forman Empire
Granular Poster
Forman Empire will become famous soon enoughForman Empire will become famous soon enough
Sheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllix View Post
I prefer gradual slopes.
Yeah me too I used to use 48db slopes on everything and although you get less bleeding they start to sound like separate sounds.

Listning to someone like NOISIA or Chasing Shadows I wonder if they use a 12 on the bottom division and a 24/48 on the top as they both have what I call a "separate sizzle" on their basses
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024419

i like to use a steep slope for the sub, but more gradual slopes as it goes up the spectrum

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
Forman Empire
Granular Poster
Sheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i like to use a steep slope for the sub, but more gradual slopes as it goes up the spectrum
Interesting thats the oposite of my NOISIA bass theory
Old 08-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #28
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forman Empire View Post
Interesting thats the oposite of my NOISIA bass theory
thats just what i have seen to work for me in the past.
i find that the sub usually covers less than an octave (usually only a few semitones. more than an octave and i will layer another sub) so it is important to make sure that the sub is completely cut out from the rest of my bass, meaning i need a steep slope, otherwise that area builds up quickly and can overwhelm the mix. it can sound unnatural when you listen to the soloed layers but when you mix it back it sounds like nothing is missing.
as you go up the spectrum you find that little details are easily missed and you can get away with more "errors". if you were missing a harmonic from 50Hz you would instantly know there was something missing, but if you were missing a harmonic from 10kHz you wouldnt even notice (although this could be an argument for a steeper slope at the top).
i also find that steep slopes sound more unnatural towards the top end so i aim for more shallow slopes there, and as the bottom end needs to be more surgical i aim for steep slopes there.

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
Forman Empire (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #29
Forman Empire
Granular Poster
Sheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
thats just what i have seen to work for me in the past.
i find that the sub usually covers less than an octave (usually only a few semitones. more than an octave and i will layer another sub) so it is important to make sure that the sub is completely cut out from the rest of my bass, meaning i need a steep slope, otherwise that area builds up quickly and can overwhelm the mix. it can sound unnatural when you listen to the soloed layers but when you mix it back it sounds like nothing is missing.
as you go up the spectrum you find that little details are easily missed and you can get away with more "errors". if you were missing a harmonic from 50Hz you would instantly know there was something missing, but if you were missing a harmonic from 10kHz you wouldnt even notice (although this could be an argument for a steeper slope at the top).
i also find that steep slopes sound more unnatural towards the top end so i aim for more shallow slopes there, and as the bottom end needs to be more surgical i aim for steep slopes there.
Interesting I often try lots of variations on slopes and I use Multiband trans,Lim and Comp a lot so I play with those bands as well e.g. the same as the eq bands or overlapping.

Nice to get perspectives on things like this as there is no "right way" only a "right way for that track".
Old 08-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #30
Parricide

Quote:
Interesting I often try lots of variations on slopes and I use Multiband trans,Lim and Comp a lot so I play with those bands as well e.g. the same as the eq bands or overlapping.

Nice to get perspectives on things like this as there is no "right way" only a "right way for that track".
i try different slopes, thats just how i usually end up doing it.
like you said, there is no right way.

i find it more important to focus on the glueing of the layers than the slopes. some gentle saturation, EQ and compression can really bring the layers together. only a little is needed to make a huge difference

------------------
signature loading...
Old 10-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #31
The Kell
Granular Poster
The Kell will become famous soon enoughThe Kell will become famous soon enough
Southern California

Definitely putting this to work on my current project. Thanks Syllix.

PS: I've got a Chemical Plant remix that I've been dabbling with for a while. I'll let you know when that's done. =)
The Kell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #32
Phantom07
Sample Destroyer
Phantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond repute
Pearland, Texas
MC Status: 2008

Wow I never thought of making a sound mono them spreading it via panning effects in order to fill out the gaps. I've checked out your youtube videos and instantly subscribed to it. Thanks for the help, I'm eager to here more from you!!!
Phantom07 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #33
Phantom07
Sample Destroyer
Phantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond repute
Pearland, Texas
MC Status: 2008

Wow I never thought of making a sound mono them spreading it via panning effects in order to fill out the gaps. I've checked out your youtube videos and instantly subscribed to it. Thanks for the help, I'm eager to here more from you!!!

Phantom07 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #34
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1096947

I don't think that would work for everything. If the bassline had some low frequencies I'm not sure I would want them panned in different directions. Usually best to keep the lows mono. But then again, there are no rules. Do what sounds best!

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Phantasy Star Online!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #35
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claptrap5 View Post
Saw a great tip from Claude von stroke. You layer the same bassline 3 times & have them all panning different positions. This was from his point blank ableton tutorial I think.
This only works when the patches are only similar not identical and the notes are not all triggered at exactly the same time.itīs essentially multitracking.if you donīt have the timing differences and slight timbral changes itīs a phasey mess just like trying to layer 2 of the exact same guitar takes or vocal takes (phase is a mofo)

TIMT
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #36
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

Quote:
When people split instruments like this do you prefer steep or gradual slopes on the EQ?
The thing with splitting sounds is the slope really doesnīt matter as you can recombine the phase of most splits to somewhat bare the same phase relationship as the original,obviously thereīd be some smear with steeper slopes but you could get it to work contextually without it sounding weak especially if the splits where done in audio.loads of different ways to recombine crossovers,phase and thereīs also the inversion method which is pretty much a null but wont give you that stretched out steep allpass sound using steep slopes gives you

TIMT
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #37
KellyB
Granular Poster
KellyB will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I thought I was the only one who spreads the high freq. +1 I use this technique all the time on my bass. I use izotope image spreader (Dopeness!). Glad you mentioned the mono part because it doesn't sound right with stereo in the middle and high stereo widen, just sounds all over the place and phasy.

Even if you saturated the high, theirs so many ideas (Creative).
KellyB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 03:47 AM   #38
roniqueh
Learning The Ropes
roniqueh is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Thank you so much! Been looking for something like this
roniqueh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #39
conn.cept music
Learning The Ropes