Where do you get your album art? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #21
Zed's Head
Minor Glitch
Zed's Head is just really niceZed's Head is just really niceZed's Head is just really niceZed's Head is just really nice
Citizen of The Cluster
MC Status: 360
Re: Where do you get your album art?

I have made a few album covers for other folks, mostly for local small-time Rap groups like M.O.R.E. (Merchants Of Reality Entourage) before I left CA. Though they really sucked...

Advertisements

Zed's Head is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #22
stray medicine
Binch
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19860

make it myself or have a friend make it for me
being friends with a lot of visual artists helps
find someone who's art you're really into and see if they'd be willing to do it for a bit of money
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #23
adamsinger
Learning The Ropes
adamsinger will become famous soon enough
San Francisco
MC Status: 60

As creative commons artist - it's simple. Since my own music is also free under creative commons I can basically use nearly all types of creative commons art (as it's all non-commercial). Makes the design aspect so much easier. You should consider it!
adamsinger is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 12:44 AM   #24
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947531
Thanked 5,787 Times in 3,634 Posts

DIY or public domain stuff so far, or a combo of both. On my metal band's next release we're commissioning something from a pro artist that has done several covers.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #25
JessayJey
IDMf's latest spammer
JessayJey is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Such a great post to know different useful information.
JessayJey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #26
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20810

I make it myself, it's more personal that way, I think it would feel odd doing it other ways.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #27
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8760

I make my own using PhotoFiltre freeware and sometimes GIMP or other freeware programs.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #28
FTD
IDMf Artist
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3464855

I do my own too. Sometimes it goes well, other times it's just a chore.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #29
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

Do my own..mostly edit public domain stuff that's out there. One of my "go-to" places for really good quality images/photos is UpSplash..they cover a lot of subjects and you'd be hard pressed NOT to find something you can use "as is" or edit to fit your needs. All the images they offer are 100% totally free and free to use in whatever why you like..though a credit back is always nice.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Vault O))) (29-01-2018)
Old 27-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #30
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

DIY logos and text using public domain images and/or creative commons images with no attribution/free to modify and use for commercial purposes. Corel Paintshop is a nice tool for modifying images and adding text to the images.
Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 01:12 PM   #31
Vault O)))
Buttcase
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54210
Thanked 1,084 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Do my own..mostly edit public domain stuff that's out there. One of my "go-to" places for really good quality images/photos is UpSplash..they cover a lot of subjects and you'd be hard pressed NOT to find something you can use "as is" or edit to fit your needs. All the images they offer are 100% totally free and free to use in whatever why you like..though a credit back is always nice.
Pexels & Unsplash are pretty awesome. The only downside I've noticed is that almost everything is heavily manipulated / constructed out of various parts already, which can sometimes be a bitch to deal with when you're kind of looking to do your own editing. Getting rid of shitty bokeh backgrounds is like the first thing I do with the former.

I have a bad habit of lifting shit from various sources (even google images) without thinking that I might accidentally use something I don't have permission to use.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (29-01-2018)
Old 29-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #32
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123160
Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Pexels & Unsplash are pretty awesome. The only downside I've noticed is that almost everything is heavily manipulated / constructed out of various parts already, which can sometimes be a bitch to deal with when you're kind of looking to do your own editing. Getting rid of shitty bokeh backgrounds is like the first thing I do with the former.

I have a bad habit of lifting shit from various sources (even google images) without thinking that I might accidentally use something I don't have permission to use.
I had the same problem in the past and I deeply regret it because I was just as dumb and basically thinking that adding more filters is the smartest solution ever.

But can users there upload just anything and claim it's their own work while giving this full cc0 license to everyone but actually it's a false claim or that pic has some other origins and is just an edit? You expect it's ok to use it but you're not too sure because it looks too good to be true.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (29-01-2018)
Old 29-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #33
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
I had the same problem in the past and I deeply regret it because I was just as dumb and basically thinking that adding more filters is the smartest solution ever.

But can users there upload just anything and claim it's their own work while giving this full cc0 license to everyone but actually it's a false claim or that pic has some other origins and is just an edit? You expect it's ok to use it but you're not too sure because it looks too good to be true.
My understanding is the images uploaded to UpSplash has to be your own original images..as in actually "taken" by you not just the edited work of somebody else. That said, I guess there's no real way to know for sure on our end if the image was taken by the person who uploaded it, but there's little point in worry about it or it just ends up being a case of "paralysis of analysis".

------------------
Old 29-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #34
A.M

Quote:

That doesn't really bother me, as I usually tend to only use a part of any image I download..cropping out a section to work with and doing basic stuff to it, like changing the colors..adding blur..messing with contrast and the likes.

I just treat the original image as a palette to pick from and then try to let my creativity run with it.

------------------
Old 29-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #35
Auino
IDMf's latest spammer
Auino is currently spamming hard

Pexels for the "picture" and ms paint for some text and that extra personal aesthetic touch.

But that's the lazy way to go, the best way would be to take your own pictures and/or learn graphics design/photoshop or something.
Auino is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #36
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auino View Post
Pexels for the "picture" and ms paint for some text and that extra personal aesthetic touch.

But that's the lazy way to go, the best way would be to take your own pictures and/or learn graphics design/photoshop or something.
I get what you mean, but I don't consider it "the lazy way" if it's all you need to get the desired result you had in mind starting out. While learning Graphic Design is cool thing to do and a handy skill-set to have..it's kinda over-kill if all you're ever going to do is knock out the odd album cover every now and then.

That said, it's always good to at least learn the basics, so what you end up with isn't total crap.

------------------
Old 30-01-2018, 04:54 AM   #37
Vault O)))
Buttcase
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54210
Thanked 1,084 Times in 712 Posts

For some of you cheap bastards out there (like me) Paintshop Pro 2018 is fucking awesome, and comes super close to rivaling Photoshop (think I got it for about $49 on sale). Plus it'll eat whatever brushes, plugins and file formats you can throw at it.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #38
A.M

Quote:
For some of you cheap bastards out there (like me) Paintshop Pro 2018 is fucking awesome, and comes super close to rivaling Photoshop (think I got it for about $49 on sale). Plus it'll eat whatever brushes, plugins and file formats you can throw at it.

Being one of those aforementioned cheap bastards, I can confidently, with hand on heart, recommend GIMP..totally free and just as (if not more) powerful thanPaintshop Pro. It's as deep as the Atlantic, but it's worth diving in and learning how to use it..and sorry about the aquatic pun.

------------------
Old 31-01-2018, 01:20 AM   #39
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Quote:
I use Paintshop Pro as well. It's great for the kinds of things I need it for.
Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #40
paulinalarocca
IDMf's latest spammer
paulinalarocca is currently spamming hard

This is a nice forum Thanks for sharing all these things!

Advertisements

paulinalarocca is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote