How to make VST/AU?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Dugg Funnie
Banned
Dugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3810
How to make VST/AU?

Yo IDMf,

I'm thinking about getting into VST creation and development, was wondering if you guys had any input to offer as to how to get started. The questions I have so far are as follows:

What programing language or languages are most commonly used to make VST plug-ins (Java, Pd, C++, etc...)
Where could I learn more about the programming skills I would specifically need for this endeavour?
if I were to start making some serious plug-ins how could I go about making visually appealing GUI's/does anybody know good resources or even independent artists who can do that sort of thing
And lastly if I were to start doing this would people here be willing to help me out with beta testing and feedback to help me improve my product?

Advertisements

Dugg Funnie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts
Re: How to make VST/AU?

There was a very brief discussion [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
fwiw.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

I think primarily people tend to code in C++, as most of the Steinberg SDK seems to be C++ based. Probably the safest bet.

Last edited by penguinoid; 18-10-2012 at 07:17 AM..
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11476954

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
DIrtySinatra
Granular Poster
DIrtySinatra has a spectacular aura aboutDIrtySinatra has a spectacular aura about
Portlaoise
MC Status: 160

Synth Maker is pretty good to get an understanding how synthesizers work.. Just remember that if your trying to make a synth for commercial use your up against 1000s of others plus 10,000s of others who are letting them out for free.. If you are going to go down this route, make sure its for yourself.. I get the feeling your grasp of synthesis isn't the best because there's almost nothing the top 5-10 digital synths cant do out there..

Also you can expect to be writing in excess of 000s lines of code, let alone designing wave tables, modular algorithms, design and playability etc.. If you feel up to it I would love to give you support.. CSound is an audio language.. Have a look..

------------------
DIrtySinatra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Dugg Funnie
Banned
Dugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking more at working more in creating effects/filters than specifically synthesizers. I'm well aware of the inherent power of synths, I have just have some, in my opinion, unique ideas for plug-ins and I'm planning to try and build a business around them. And I'm learning C and CSound because I think it'll be the easiest way for me to port to VST and AU.

Plus one of my professors at Berklee was Richard Boulanger, the guy who wrote the CSound Book so I think that could definitely prove beneficial in terms of makin this happen.

Thanks for the support either way, if I have questions I'll definitely send 'em your way too, I fully expect this isn't going to just be some weekend DIY project and I'm in it for the long-haul!!!!!1!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
mibix
Soundwave Mangler
mibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MC
Bristol
MC Status: 21159

I recommend [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for the framework. It's in C++ but can compile VST, AU, Standalone, RTAS etc from the same source code. There is a cost to releasing a commercial synth. If you don't want to pay any fees it would probably be the vstsdk route.

------------------
My collection of music, plugins and random projects... arcticanaudio.com
mibix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Dugg Funnie
Banned

Is that the SDK specifically from Steinberg? And big up on JUCE, definitely going to look into that. I think I'm going to be doing the programming in CSound and maybe regular C++, any idea on which would be the most efficient way? I know with CSound you can port straight to AU and I believe VST as well, but I'm not totally sure.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Lowbass
Minor Glitch
Lowbass is currently spamming hard
Granada
MC Status: 10

interesting
Lowbass is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
[Complex]
Microknight
[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold
Spain
MC Status: 960

I think C++ is the best way, also is important to know well this languaje before attempting to make a VST synth

Maybe other good option is Java
[Complex] is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #11
AdamThing
Regular Freak
AdamThing will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

im learning C++. i have an audio programming book id like to master. once i figure that out im going to use the steinberg SDK and ill be set to go. also im going to throw asio programming in there.
AdamThing is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #12
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360

I use synthedit cause I'm a pleb.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #13
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

There's a way to create MIDI applications using Unity, if anyone is interested. I figured out how to get MIDI input using this awesome package from Kejiro Takahashi that's free

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Using Unity would probably be a lot easier than just diving into scripting a vst on your own. This is something I really want to do, there are a few ideas I have for midi applications that I think could be created easily through Unity. If I do get around to making some I'll post em on here.

Advertisements

stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to stray medicine
mute machine (30-08-2016)