Recording in Live
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal
MC Status: 351
Recording in Live

I have a Microkorg and a EMX

I only have an AudioBox USB so I can only hook up one piece at a time when recording

Now for some reason, I open an audio track and have my input set to one and I play my microkorg and no sound gets recorded... how do I record stuff?

I have midi cables in and out going to in/out of my interface as well as 1/4" connections

any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

------------------

:holadines:
reticent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC
Unregistered's music is self indulgent nonesense!
MC Status: 25172146
Re: Recording in Live

1. are you getting a signal into ableton? You can tell because you'll see the level go up and down.
1a. yes = click the record button
1b no = there is something wrong with your connections.

2. is your synth making a sound? you can tell if you temporally put headphones in it instead of your lead.
2a. yes = see 1b, but focus on the audio connections.
2b. no = there is something wrong with your midi

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Delinquent Dialect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal

I see green but when I record a clip and play it back, no sound comes out
plus I have to increase the volume on my synth to get any green bar at all
really strange

------------------

Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

In your audio track - switch your monitoring to Auto else you're not gonna hear anything once you stop recording & play. Also - you should be able to turn up the gain on the Audiobox so that you don't have to crack the synth all the way up.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
reticent
Knob Twiddler
Montreal

Oh so you can record hardware by just keeping it in Auto? I always thought you had to put it at IN

also, I can still add audio effects and so forth to my audio track right? like LPF, reverb, etc?

------------------

Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by reticent View Post
also, I can still add audio effects and so forth to my audio track right? like LPF, reverb, etc?
um... I hope you realize how obvious the answer to this question is!
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
Angry MOB
Granular Poster
Angry MOB will become famous soon enoughAngry MOB will become famous soon enough
Montreal
MC Status: 110

you can also use the external instrument plugin in a midi track

so you can use the ableton sequencer on your microkorg and the EMX...
Angry MOB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

Quote:
Originally Posted by reticent View Post
Oh so you can record hardware by just keeping it in Auto? I always thought you had to put it at IN

you know when you first open live?
at the righthand side there's a panel that shows some lessons + some other information.
if you had done these beginner tutorial lessons you would have saved yourself both the headache and the troubles of coming here asking such a simple question. don't get me wrong, asking questions is fine, and not everyone wants to dig deep into the manual (especially not a manual that only functions as a reference-sheet), but honestly if you even ignore the very simplest beginner lessons which are RIGHT THERE when you first open the software, you really should be ashamed of yourself.

Advertisements

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote