Recording a live band
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
BunkyDingDing
Regular Freak
BunkyDingDing is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Recording a live band

Ive been asked to record my friends band. Ive never done anything like this before and am thinking I would just run through an alternate output from the board into my interface into Logic Pro. Will this work?

Advertisements

BunkyDingDing is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
apistat
Granular Poster
apistat has a spectacular aura aboutapistat has a spectacular aura aboutapistat has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 210
Re: Recording a live band

Depends on the live setup really. For example, if the drum kit is only partially mic'ed up, or not at all, then that's not going to work well on your recording. But in theory, yes you can take an output from the desk, and record a stereo track of the performance.

EDIT: I'm assuming here (because you referred to the board) that you mean recording a live gig. If you mean a live performance in the studio though, then read p_s_f's post below.

Last edited by apistat; 01-03-2013 at 11:42 AM..

------------------
apistat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
p_s_f
Soundwave Mangler
p_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MC
MC Status: 1315326

1.) Track drums in another room than the guitars, get a good drum take. Whatever the drummer needs to hear to keep time.

2.) Record the rest of the instruments/vocals

3.) Have fun

Seriously, recording a band with Logic is a breeze.

It helps to spend the time micing the drums properly. If you can mic all the drums, do it. Otherwise you could get some good demo sounding drums with a decent pair of condenser microphones for overheads, a mic on the snare, and a mic on the kick.
p_s_f is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
BunkyDingDing
Regular Freak
BunkyDingDing is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Yes i mean live performance thanks a lot! The place is a fine fine fine establishment with a great set up. Surely the drum set up will be nothing less than stellar.

Advertisements

BunkyDingDing is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote