What is the cheapest you can get a Moog Voyager for?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 23-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area
MC Status: 2910
What is the cheapest you can get a Moog Voyager for?

Starting to think i wanna save up for a moog voyager, Dont really care what model haha, Any voyager i would be happy with. But on ebay cheapest i found was about 2,400$. Is that the cheapest they go for, Or is there somewhere you can get them for less? And i was thinking if a Voyager is too much money for me to start saving, i could save up for a Little Phatty, And if so, Would the little phatty be a good alternative? Anyways, thanks

Advertisements

------------------
NightlightSociety is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts
Re: What is the cheapest you can get a Moog Voyager for?

Here's a list of completed eBay listings reflecting sold Moog Voyagers. You could save a few bucks by getting a rack mount unit.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Always check completed / sold listings on eBay prior to buying or bidding on anything.

Edit: Scroll through the list, you'll see the synths in there, but it also includes parts and other misc items.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
NightlightSociety (24-11-2013)
Old 27-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

HAve you tried out a voyager and a phatty? They both have an immense sound, although the voyager has alot more options than a phatty. That being said I love the little phatty and they seem to go as low as $800. You are way on the otherside of the US but I seem moog stuff going really cheap on the nashville tennessee craigslist alot because it is a huge recording and production city. Keep you eyes peeled. Maybe start with a phatty and when you master it sell it and upgrade to a voyager? Either way you will be happy with your analog phattness.
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

1. Steal car, preferably something with a heavy chassis.

2. Steal a getaway car, preferably something with 4 doors and speedy.

3. Find an accomplice.

4. Have accomplice drive car A through front window of a music store, grab said synth, place synth in back seat of getaway car.

5. Drive away.

6. Profit.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
g0lem (07-12-2013)
Old 27-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

If you are new to analog synths I wouldn't jump straight in with a Voyager.

Its also worth remembering that the 'stage' or 'old skool' Voyagers are for players only as they don't have midi capability. They cost a lot less and might be reflected in their 2nd hand price - might not be a bargain if you want it to sequence.

An option might be one of these :-

I (and quite a few others) feel that the Lancet covers a lot of the Moog sound (mainly due to the filter imo) and might quell your lust if its for similar tones. Obviously there are some differences in the architecture (no noise, only 2-osc etc) but its a lot, lot cheaper.

Lil'Phatty's are being phased out by Moog so this might push up their 2nd hand prices, so thats worth bearing in mind.

Diva VSTi is even cheaper if your CPU is up to it - if its just the sound of a Voyager you're after I'd look into that too.

Can I ask what has drawn you to the conclusion of getting one?? Its a hell of an outlay imo for a single voice and if you have the means to fund one doesn't the thought of say an Analog4 AND a MophoX4 for the same money make you slightly moist??? I'm honestly not trolling you about it, I'm genuinely interested.

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

Ill trade your a Voyager for your first born child.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628939

The mono lancet does have noise too, and indeed the same ballsy filter sound of a voyager. I think the lancet sounds more like a voyager than the slim phatty. OnE thing that makes the voyager so big is the dual filter with stereo output though.

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to steeboo
lolirl (04-01-2014)
Old 02-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Bastard View Post
If you are new to analog synths I wouldn't jump straight in with a Voyager.

Its also worth remembering that the 'stage' or 'old skool' Voyagers are for players only as they don't have midi capability. They cost a lot less and might be reflected in their 2nd hand price - might not be a bargain if you want it to sequence.

An option might be one of these :-

I (and quite a few others) feel that the Lancet covers a lot of the Moog sound (mainly due to the filter imo) and might quell your lust if its for similar tones. Obviously there are some differences in the architecture (no noise, only 2-osc etc) but its a lot, lot cheaper.

Lil'Phatty's are being phased out by Moog so this might push up their 2nd hand prices, so thats worth bearing in mind.

Diva VSTi is even cheaper if your CPU is up to it - if its just the sound of a Voyager you're after I'd look into that too.

Can I ask what has drawn you to the conclusion of getting one?? Its a hell of an outlay imo for a single voice and if you have the means to fund one doesn't the thought of say an Analog4 AND a MophoX4 for the same money make you slightly moist??? I'm honestly not trolling you about it, I'm genuinely interested.
Just because moog voyagers are pretty much top of the line analog synths, And i wanted to be able to use some of the distinct sounds that they can produce. Certain sounds you cant get with other sytnhs, you know? I'll look into that other synth though haha, Or a little phatty. Alot cheaper now haha, 700-1000$ on ebay. But thank you again! Oh and i'll take a look at that VST. I think i could probably handle it haha, i7 processor, 8 gigs of ram, nvidia 555, probably would be alright. I'lll look into it, that would probably work wonders

------------------
Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoB View Post
HAve you tried out a voyager and a phatty? They both have an immense sound, although the voyager has alot more options than a phatty. That being said I love the little phatty and they seem to go as low as $800. You are way on the otherside of the US but I seem moog stuff going really cheap on the nashville tennessee craigslist alot because it is a huge recording and production city. Keep you eyes peeled. Maybe start with a phatty and when you master it sell it and upgrade to a voyager? Either way you will be happy with your analog phattness.
Yeah, I was thinking a Little Phatty for a while, Cause theyre cheap, And still sound like a moog synth. Then i got worried that i'de be dissapointed or something, Or i'de want more, or something better. Which got me thinking about a Voyager. But a little phatty does seem a good bit less complex (less knobs ) and easier to learn. Im thinking maybe a little phatty in awhile. Just save up some money until i can get one haha

------------------
Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort

Why not go for a sub phatty then? It is so much more fun and makes a little phatty really bland in comparison.
And about diva, of which I am a big fan, sounds fantastic in just about anything, except the moog ladder filter. That does not sound moogish at all. An arturia minimoog V is much closer to the original.

The cascading filter from diva sounds near identical to curtis filters (like the ones in DSI gear)

------------------
Old 04-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #11
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeboo View Post
Why not go for a sub phatty then? It is so much more fun and makes a little phatty really bland in comparison.
And about diva, of which I am a big fan, sounds fantastic in just about anything, except the moog ladder filter. That does not sound moogish at all. An arturia minimoog V is much closer to the original.

The cascading filter from diva sounds near identical to curtis filters (like the ones in DSI gear)
I was under the impression that Sub Phattys are used for more bass sounds than all around synth sounds. While the little phatty hs alot of leads/bass/abunch of different sounding patches. Im probably wrong, if i am then uhh. tell bout the sub phatty, eh?

------------------
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
steeboo
IDMf Artist
montfoort

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightlightSociety View Post
I was under the impression that Sub Phattys are used for more bass sounds than all around synth sounds. While the little phatty hs alot of leads/bass/abunch of different sounding patches. Im probably wrong, if i am then uhh. tell bout the sub phatty, eh?
The sub phatty has a slightly different tone, but with the right settings can do just about everything a little/slim phatty can plus much more. The majority of the difference you hear in the youtube vids is because people use the new features like overdrive, subosc, 12db filter, tracking lfo's etc
It has a much nicer interface so its more fun to play. A little/slim phatty has a very basic synth engine, while a sub phatty has all kinds of tricks up its sleeve.

------------------
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026

NI monark 99$
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #14
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeboo View Post
The sub phatty has a slightly different tone, but with the right settings can do just about everything a little/slim phatty can plus much more. The majority of the difference you hear in the youtube vids is because people use the new features like overdrive, subosc, 12db filter, tracking lfo's etc
It has a much nicer interface so its more fun to play. A little/slim phatty has a very basic synth engine, while a sub phatty has all kinds of tricks up its sleeve.
Hmm. I'll look into it for sure! Does it have an octave shift or anything? cause ive only heard it played really low, you know?

------------------
Old 05-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
steeboo
IDMf Artist
montfoort

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightlightSociety View Post
Hmm. I'll look into it for sure! Does it have an octave shift or anything? cause ive only heard it played really low, you know?
Of course...

------------------
Thanks to steeboo
NightlightSociety (05-12-2013)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #16
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534501

Give me a Cwejman S1 mk2 over a Moog Voyager any day….

Advertisements

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote