Recording "what you hear"
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 19-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160
Recording "what you hear"

I've recently downloaded visualisation software which I want to test out. The problem is that it can only receive audio signal from the input of your soundcard, nothing from the audio which is currently playing.

I've read on numerous places that with Windows XP you could go to the recording devices panel and choose to record "What u hear"; but I'm on Windows 7. I have a Creative SoundBlaster VX soundcard and under the settings it gives me options to record either line-in or microphone; hidden devices are shown.

I already have the latest drivers. I found that out when I read a suggestion to update the drivers...

Is there any solution you guys have for me or perhaps suggestions to third party software to route the output to my input?

Or should I perhaps get a stereo to stereo gender-bender and plug one end into my line-out and the other into my line in?

Thanks in advance you guys.

Advertisements

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560080
Thanked 7,383 Times in 5,220 Posts
Re: Recording "what you hear"

Honestly, the solution I'd go with (unless this viz software is just absolutely that tits) is to find another visualization program that will accept the input of whatever is playing.

Shit...there are a couple programs for routing audio internally but I forget there names. @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
told me about them. I want to say one of them is called Virtual Cables or something like that. There are a few out there and I know they've been tested on Windows 7.

The gender bender cord (pretty funny btw) might not be a great idea. I'm not positive, but you could be looking at a feedback loop if you do that. Which probably would only damage your hearing, headphones and speakers ;p

I don't get how the record what you hear option is going to help you, but I think you can do this with Audacity. I guess because its routing the audio you are hearing to the input of your sound card?

Yet another not great option would be to get and audio interface w/ the right physical I/Os to do this.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

Thanks for the reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Honestly, the solution I'd go with (unless this viz software is just absolutely that tits) is to find another visualization program that will accept the input of whatever is playing.
I don't really know how tits this software is since I don't know anything to compare it to, but it does look quite awesome thus far. It's freeware called[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, it basically lets you create your own visualisations and fancy effects from scratch. I'm surprised that it's freeware considering the amount of effort that clearly went into programming this software.

The thing about this software is just that it's aimed more at live DJ's who sends audio from their gear to the PC via line-in. I just want to make the vis and export it with my music. It's nothing serious, I'm just fooling around with it so I'm not going to spend on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Shit...there are a couple programs for routing audio internally but I forget there names. @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
told me about them. I want to say one of them is called Virtual Cables or something like that. There are a few out there and I know they've been tested on Windows 7.

The gender bender cord (pretty funny btw) might not be a great idea. I'm not positive, but you could be looking at a feedback loop if you do that. Which probably would only damage your hearing, headphones and speakers ;p

I don't get how the record what you hear option is going to help you, but I think you can do this with Audacity. I guess because its routing the audio you are hearing to the input of your sound card?

Yet another not great option would be to get and audio interface w/ the right physical I/Os to do this.
Now you're mentioning it, I heard about something called Virtual Audio Cable(VAC), didn't know what it does but I'll definitely Google it.

To set the 'what you hear' as the default recording device would send the audio to the appropriate channels used by the software, XP truly had an option to set 'what u hear' as a recording 'device'.

About the gender bender, I just threw it in as a tongue in the cheek suggestion, though I have given it some thought. My father always speaks about gender bender so that's where I learned the term.

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560080
Thanked 7,383 Times in 5,220 Posts

I see. Thatd be cool for youtube! Ill check out the program. And yea. VAC is the program im thinking of. Check it ouf. I remeber the option in XP. I googled it and it seems the option is gone in 7.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote