Can somebody please point me in the right direction for learning how to write IDM?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 14-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
saladface
IDMf's latest spammer
saladface is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Icon14 Can somebody please point me in the right direction for learning how to write IDM?

Sorry for Wall of Text!

Some brief background on me: I'm a really small fish composer for film, web content, and advertising. Most of the stuff I write is with digitally sampled instruments: a mix of orchestral, basic digital synths (typically Omnisphere, 8Dio, or Sonic Couture patches), world percussion, etc. Your typical Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Thomas Newman, Steve Jablonsky sound. Orchestral but with light electronic flavors. I compose in Logic, and I'm good enough with the digital side of things to make very realistic sounding demos with some basic production technique (basic bussing and Altiverb with basic EQ and mastering, usually just slightly adjusting presets) and good use of a wide range of sample libraries. For my work I've produced great digital mockups for orchestral music, big band jazz, world music from various countries, indie pop, folk music, basic electronic film scoreish music, etc. But when it comes to recording techniques, hardware, studio engineering, and real electronic music production, I am really inexperienced, and I'm very insecure about it.

It's always been my dream to write IDM. It was the first kind of music I ever listened to, and I never pursued the dream because I didn't think I could ever learn how to do it and I was more concerned with my orchestral and film scoring studies so I could make money. But I'm really feeling now that it's always been my dream to write music that is sort of in the same world as Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre, Mouse on Mars, Luke Vibert, Plaid, Photek, the Flashbulb, Amon Tobin, etc. And also with that kind of music becoming more popular/mainstream in the past 5 years, I want to incorporate more of it into my film music (kind of like the scoring for Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul).

I've been trying to teach myself for a month or so now, and it just isn't working. I'm getting really discouraged over it.

I don't know the first thing about it. I don't know where people get their sounds from (I'm sure Richard D James sits in his basement building toys out of metal and antique clocks and stuff to record). Do people record their drum/percussion sounds, or do they create them digitally? Every time I try to create a good sound digitally, even using a default patch as a jumping point, it always sounds so flat and non-physical. Whereas every single hit in an Aphex Twin track sounds so physical and in-your-face.

How do they control all the hundreds of various crazy filters, reverbs, delays, phasers, slicers, bit crushers, etc that are jumping in and out through the entire track. Do they just load up a ton on all the various instruments/buses and manually automate (the word 'automate' in Logic's context of 'automation') the controls of each one? It sounds so messy and time consuming! Or is there an easier way?

Do they have individual tracks for each drum/percussive instrument/click/pop? Or do they build/use a kit in one instrument track? Do they carefully place each note in the entire piece? Or do they set up some kind of core 1-bar "pattern" and then use digital tools to mess with the rhythm/ordering of that pattern?

I'm not actually asking these questions to you guys, but I'm asking this: where do I get started with learning this stuff? I feel so lost. I'm trying to follow my ear and I'm usually very good at it, but it's such a dense area of music with so much that I don't know how to do and how to organize it. I'm willing to do what it takes to learn though. So where do I get started? Are there books you would recommend? Online courses? Online videos? Publicly available session files I can look through to see how other people do it? I'd prefer to work in Logic, but I'm willing to switch to Ableton if Logic just isn't feasible for writing this kind of music.

Anyways, thanks for any and all direction you guys can offer on what to do next to learn how to do this. I really appreciate it!

Advertisements

saladface is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541180
Thanked 7,005 Times in 4,978 Posts
Re: Can somebody please point me in the right direction for learning how to write IDM

I have never looked up a tutorial for IDM music, but it appears from a google search there are some. The tutorials you find will probably focus mainly on doing the glitchy drums and chopping drum loops. Otherwise I'd recommend taking a look one some basic tutorials on subtractive synthesis. I don't know how much you already know that regard, but it sounds like you are mostly using presets/tweaked presets for your work.

I'd suggest focusing on your percussion first and maybe just using the software you are already familiar with to fill in the synth parts for now. That will let you focus on getting a good good glitch drum pattern going.

Personally, I prefer working with chopped audio on the time line when making complex breakbeat stuff like Jungle/DnB which has similar beats as IDM quite often. That is a tried and true technique you can start with.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184160
Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,744 Posts
Re: Can somebody please point me in the right direction for learning how to write IDM

I second what Relic said..and would add a few general pointers, that may or may not be helpful to you, such as don't look at the "big picture"..as in don't be focusing on how much you DON'T know..but focus on how much you already DO know. I know most of us start out by trying to recreate the sounds of those we admire, but in doing that you're kinda setting yourself up for a fall..as you don't really know what they did to end up with the music they released.

Focus on the basics instead..such as using EQ, Reverb, Compression..so on. I know you have a handle on these already, but use these as your "benchmark", by finding what settings give YOU the sound YOU want on, say, a basic drum beat and then build it from there.

Also, from you posted, I take it you already know how important it can be to use templates in your DAW..they will save you more time that anything else.

Another thing you should try is to compose / write tracks using just one instrument, such as a piano..or whatever it is you usually use. Record what you come up with in your DAW and them swap out the instrument you used with something more fitting to the IDM genre. Sometimes the tune is more important than the sound and focusing on one instead of the other can often block you off.

DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHER! We all do and we shouldn't..we are who we are and even though what we produce might seem like crap to us (..and it often is crap, too), we are our own worst critic and you run the risk of ripping down everything you try to produce, even before you've had a chance to finish it. You're not Richard David James..but then again, Richard isn't you either!

Learning to produce music is a slow process and one you'll be working at for as long as you remain interested..the learning never ends. So keep that in mind and don't set your expectations too high too soon.

Be mindful that there are a lot of "experts" out there, who will tell you how to do just about anything..for a fee. Most have good intentions..others not so good..but in the end you can find most of the stuff they're peddling out there online for free yourself, if you take the time to look.

Likewise, try not to get sucked into the "latest plugin black hole". Again, this is something we all fall for at some point along the way. You DON'T need to have everything that comes along..but if you feel you want to get some new shiny plugin..make sure you're honest with yourself and at least understand just why you're buying it and what it can and will do for you.

Make time for producing..and for producing ONLY! I can't stress this point enough..you NEED to put in the hours if you want to learn and grow as a producer..and that means creating and sticking to a "studio Time" plan that NOTHING will drag you from..aside from real honest emergencies, such as deaths, fires, floods..not something like your best buddy called round and asked you to go out..or that show you usually watch is on. You need to be serious about how you treat this if you want to be treated seriously as a producer in return. .

Last..and the MOST important thing of all..reflect on and understand what it means to be as "creative" as you can possibly be. Creativity is not some sort of artistic magic you pull out of thin air or that your "Muse" gently drops down into your wondering mind..it what you get when you put in the time and effort to make something..the production of "something original and worthwhile" [Sternberg, Robert J. (2011). "Creativity". Cognitive Psychology (6 ed.). Cengage Learning. p. 479. ISBN 978-1-133-38701-5]

In short, you're already a music producer..you're merely exploring a different way of producing...not starting out all over again, as your post seems to imply. Relax and have fun..put the time in and all the rest will fall into place. Hope it goes well for you and I'm sure it will.

Remember..please set aside some time to hang out on here as part of your general leaning..there's a lot of really useful info to be found in the various threads on this site..read through them..that's what they're there for.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

I know you said you weren't actually asking these questions, but they're good ones, because they're common things for absolute beginners to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saladface View Post
I've been trying to teach myself for a month or so now, and it just isn't working. I'm getting really discouraged over it.
Could take years. Most of the people you mentioned have developed their style over a decade or more. Go back to their first releases and they often sound pretty pedestrian. It takes time and creativity and more time. If you stick with it, you'll eventually have an epiphany and things will fall into place and snowball from there.

Quote:
Do people record their drum/percussion sounds, or do they create them digitally? Every time I try to create a good sound digitally, even using a default patch as a jumping point, it always sounds so flat and non-physical. Whereas every single hit in an Aphex Twin track sounds so physical and in-your-face.
Yes, they do. All of the above. It depends. A lot of times, it's something completely different than you think. I'm not even joking when I say you can make an entire five minute IDM track from nothing but 10 seconds of movie dialog - cutting up sounds, resampling, gating, reversing, etc. There's a myriad of ways to approach it and none of them are wrong. All the artists you mention have developed tools and workflow alongside their 'sound'. You'll have to do the same. It's actually a great exercise to try and recreate someone else's sound. It doesn't matter if you got it the same way as them, you'll learn a lot in the process. Try things several ways and see what makes the most sense to you.

A lot of that 'in your face' sound comes from mixing and production. Are you parallel/New York compressing your drums? Heavy EQ? Reverb buss? Etc, etc. Half the battle is arrangement, half is mixing.

Quote:
How do they control all the hundreds of various crazy filters, reverbs, delays, phasers, slicers, bit crushers, etc that are jumping in and out through the entire track. Do they just load up a ton on all the various instruments/buses and manually automate (the word 'automate' in Logic's context of 'automation') the controls of each one? It sounds so messy and time consuming! Or is there an easier way?
Mostly automation, though you can program a lot of it, or play the automation with a controller, or any number of ways. You learn tricks and shortcuts to speed up the process once you've been at it.

Consider this: James has been making music since the '80s. He's put out less than 24 hours worth of content as Aphex Twin over 30 years. Autechre put out an hour's worth of music every two years or so, and that's two guys working professionally. It just takes time. Very generally, if you make an IDM track in 8 hours, it's probably going to suck. You can get the bones of it down, but there's so much more to do and it all takes time.

Quote:
Do they have individual tracks for each drum/percussive instrument/click/pop? Or do they build/use a kit in one instrument track? Do they carefully place each note in the entire piece? Or do they set up some kind of core 1-bar "pattern" and then use digital tools to mess with the rhythm/ordering of that pattern?
Again, all of the above. It's about what works for you. I do a bit of both, depending on what I'm going for. MIDI triggered kits make a lot of sense to me for 'real' drums. I tend to cut up, effect and place more weird industrial style stuff. Copy/paste means that you can just duplicate it and push things around if you want.

There's no real starting point for people other than getting in and getting to it. Check youtube for tutorials on specific issues (kick sounds, synth building, arrangement, etc).

While I'm not a huge fan of his music, go watch some Deadmau5 streams. Joel's supercool about not obfuscating his process. Something like this:

Seamless is another good streamer that does a lot of 'from scratch' work and has lots of good tips.

Again, you'll have to find what works for you and what you want to do, but it can be helpful in the beginning to see how other people go about things.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

First of all, you need to be SRMAT. Not smart, not even smrat. SRMAT. Only truly SRMAT people can comprehend the true intelligence behind IDM. That is, that there is none and the producers are just trolling everyone. Reaching the status of a SRMAT person is called "IDM ENGLISHTENMENT" and will increase your Mad Cunt Status (tm, patent pending). This takes care of the first letter requirement, and you will soon find out that this is all about letters.

The second letter, the D, is a bit difficult. We all want to get the D, and we want to put as much of D in our music as possible. For a lot of people this proves to be a considerable challenge, as they try to tackle the letter separately. For IDM, this is demonstratably the wrong approach. Instead, you should lean on the letter that you are already familiar: "I". As a SRMAT person, and part of the intelligentsia, you might know that it stands for intelligence, of which none is to be found in the IDM. You need to rigorously apply this process to the D as well. Rigorously. The D stands for Dance, I stands for Intelligent, the latter is not found in music despite being part of the acronym, so how about the D? The truth is, you need to take the D out of the music. True IDM is made by sadboys who wanted to make electronic dance music but were too caught up pretending to be smart to do so, so they never got their dick wet and spent time in their bedrooms writing IDM and being SRMAT instead. Once you've taken the D out, you are ready to move on to the final stage.

The third stage is the trickiest, and has a lot of us stumped. We have found out (through peer-reviewed SRMAT people processes) that M is supposed to stand for "Music". Sadly, none of us are familiar with the term, and no academic consensus on what it is supposed to mean has been reached so far. This has the unfortunate side effect, that we cannot quantify how much of the music is actually needed in IDM. It seems safe to assume that striving for none is advisable, but as we do not know what it actually is, I cannot tell you how to remove it. It may be worthwhile to try pesticides.

So, in summary:
A: Be SRMAT
B: Take the D out
C: ?????
D: Profit!

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #6
Oldskooltekno
IDMf's latest spammer
Oldskooltekno is a jewel in the roughOldskooltekno is a jewel in the roughOldskooltekno is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I second what Relic said..and would add a few general pointers, that may or may not be helpful to you, such as don't look at the "big picture"..as in don't be focusing on how much you DON'T know..but focus on how much you already DO know. I know most of us start out by trying to recreate the sounds of those we admire, but in doing that you're kinda setting yourself up for a fall..as you don't really know what they did to end up with the music they released.

Focus on the basics instead..such as using EQ, Reverb, Compression..so on. I know you have a handle on these already, but use these as your "benchmark", by finding what settings give YOU the sound YOU want on, say, a basic drum beat and then build it from there.

Also, from you posted, I take it you already know how important it can be to use templates in your DAW..they will save you more time that anything else.

Another thing you should try is to compose / write tracks using just one instrument, such as a piano..or whatever it is you usually use. Record what you come up with in your DAW and them swap out the instrument you used with something more fitting to the IDM genre. Sometimes the tune is more important than the sound and focusing on one instead of the other can often block you off.

DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHER! We all do and we shouldn't..we are who we are and even though what we produce might seem like crap to us (..and it often is crap, too), we are our own worst critic and you run the risk of ripping down everything you try to produce, even before you've had a chance to finish it. You're not Richard David James..but then again, Richard isn't you either!

Learning to produce music is a slow process and one you'll be working at for as long as you remain interested..the learning never ends. So keep that in mind and don't set your expectations too high too soon.

Be mindful that there are a lot of "experts" out there, who will tell you how to do just about anything..for a fee. Most have good intentions..others not so good..but in the end you can find most of the stuff they're peddling out there online for free yourself, if you take the time to look.

Likewise, try not to get sucked into the "latest plugin black hole". Again, this is something we all fall for at some point along the way. You DON'T need to have everything that comes along..but if you feel you want to get some new shiny plugin..make sure you're honest with yourself and at least understand just why you're buying it and what it can and will do for you.

Make time for producing..and for producing ONLY! I can't stress this point enough..you NEED to put in the hours if you want to learn and grow as a producer..and that means creating and sticking to a "studio Time" plan that NOTHING will drag you from..aside from real honest emergencies, such as deaths, fires, floods..not something like your best buddy called round and asked you to go out..or that show you usually watch is on. You need to be serious about how you treat this if you want to be treated seriously as a producer in return. .

Last..and the MOST important thing of all..reflect on and understand what it means to be as "creative" as you can possibly be. Creativity is not some sort of artistic magic you pull out of thin air or that your "Muse" gently drops down into your wondering mind..it what you get when you put in the time and effort to make something..the production of "something original and worthwhile" [Sternberg, Robert J. (2011). "Creativity". Cognitive Psychology (6 ed.). Cengage Learning. p. 479. ISBN 978-1-133-38701-5]

In short, you're already a music producer..you're merely exploring a different way of producing...not starting out all over again, as your post seems to imply. Relax and have fun..put the time in and all the rest will fall into place. Hope it goes well for you and I'm sure it will.

Remember..please set aside some time to hang out on here as part of your general leaning..there's a lot of really useful info to be found in the various threads on this site..read through them..that's what they're there for.

I second what A.M said . and a few things ill mention is to when your starting out is to not try and emulate anyone else but,instead have your own sound. I know its tempting to put a track from a song you really admire and copy everything he does like(do this for 8 bars ,then add this at bar 25 ,then at bar 33 do this and take away this at bar 49 and so on)and when your done you think you accomplished something but ,you are setting yourself up for failure as you will never learn anything.

So my advice would be to be creative and come up with your own sound ,your own arrangement,your own sequencing and so forth.

If your new and need some direction id point you to go to library and take out a music theory book,or buy one on amazon. Then just practice synthesizing until you come up with the sound you are looking for.

We all were new once. When i first started i thought my stuff sounded so great way back when then i had a few people listen to it then i realized my stuff was all out of key in the wrong scale and it sounded like a mess. So it was then when i brushed up on my music theory even though i played instruments in the past i still was doing a lot of things wrong in my productions.

Fast forward to now i sound way better and have learned a lot.
Right now i cant post links since i still have to post like 20 more topics on here but ,if you do a search on google theres a ton of tutorials on synthesis,and music theory just do a search for your daw aswell like for example fl studio tutorial then practice synthesis in your daw.

I also have a edm tutorial mainly on trance music but again,i cant post the link here,unless you dm me.

In closing id say study theory and then practice synthesis in your daw whether making melodies or combining two chord progressions into one whatever just practice until youve got your daw mastered.
Oldskooltekno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:39 AM   #7
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69887319

Re: own sounds or tweaked digital sounds, yes to both. Layer stuff, whatever stuff you've got that makes a bang or a squeak etc, record it and overdub it with your bleak/dull digital stuff. Add some unique noise and texture that's somehow personal to you, or evocative of whatever it is you're aiming for. Sample the result. Resample, mangle, repeat. Run dry digital stuff through some noisey analogue boxes, or record to tape (VCR will do).

Re: tweaking/automating everything
If it were proper IDM it would all be made in MATLAB or machine code, but it's fine to cheat by using a DAW.

Investigate use of random waveform LFOs, formula controllers, peak followers, MIDI mungers, FSUs and whatnot, especially if you're trying to find a more analogue glitched sound. FLS is pretty good for bizarre parameter linking, while Ableton is pretty good for having wild preset effect racks for IDM related activities. Maybe Logic has all that stuff going on too now.

Re: individual tracks for drums etc
That's really up to you and how you prefer to program/record drums, and dependant on what drums/sounds you are going to use. Having the option of individual outputs is always good.

Do they write long elaborate pieces or make long elaborate edits of short pieces? Yes. There's no correct way to make IDM drums, even if you mean drill'n'bass sort of stuff. Whatever sounds cool, sounds cool however you do it.

Re: where to start
Fuck books and tutorials; develop your own ideas and your own processes. Unless you're actually working to the clock, in which case, just download whatever FSU/glitch/mangler plugins that Richard Devine is promoting and hit the presets at random while recording automation, then smooth all the transitions in the editor. Insert cinematic booms and reverse shrieks and claim job done.

But I'd seriously suggest taking time to experiment with some non musical or otherwise rhythmically challenging audio to make some odd loops, rhythms, textures, and just see where that stuff takes you. Chisel away at a chunk of audio, basically. Let the music write itself, get into a groove, and then start applying variations according to your idea of structure. Make radical changes, make multiple versions, mash them together, etc. Really it's mostly about the aesthetic with IDM/pretentious electronica.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
FunkMasterBrown (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:53 AM   #8
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031441
Thanked 7,280 Times in 4,524 Posts

Experiment, experiment, experiment.
Buy a huge bag of dope and don't go out for 5 years.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478504

IDM encompasses technology, the tools of making music, alternate reality, a thirst for doing things that are impossible, exploring the far reaches of the human experience, the twisted dark alleys, the revelations, the awe and amazement of seeing something you've never believed possible, and taking all the things upon which our world relies, twisting them, bending them, into forms strange and mysterious. The love of remixing. The inventiveness of exploring the dub.

Recommended topics: Early electronic composers such as John Cage, minimalist composers, John Adams, early synthesizer composers, Wendy Carlos, early roots reggae producers, hip hop, old school rave, Donald Buchla, Bob Moog, ambient, chill-out, GG Allin, Bell Laboratories, Nikola Tesla, Alfred Einstein, LSD in the 60's.

Making a style isn't always just learning a rhythm or meter. It's also the history, the culture, the key persons, the scene. You must envelope yourself in the world, and you won't need to think about it. That goes for any style of music. You will not need to find how to do IDM, IDM will fall from your fingers when you aren't even thinking about it.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69887319

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post

Recommended topics: Early electronic composers such as John Cage, minimalist composers, John Adams, early synthesizer composers, Wendy Carlos, early roots reggae producers, hip hop, old school rave, Donald Buchla, Bob Moog, ambient, chill-out, GG Allin, Bell Laboratories, Nikola Tesla, Alfred Einstein, LSD in the 60's.

Alfred Einstein? Wow, pretty deep cuts, I/O.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
I/O_Madness (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #11
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
you know it

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 02-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8360

I didn't bother my arse reading most of this thread, but any ways. For some people, copying the structure of a track can help teach them a lot. Just learn however you learn best.

Any DAW will do what you want it to do. There's a thread on here from years ago where some guy remixed a bunch of songs using Audition, just chopping up the tracks. Ableton Live worked best for me, but your mile may vary.

There's millions of videos online, there's lots of written stuff on here. Look in the "How did they do that" thread that's about six hundred pages long. The answer is 80% of the time to use a lowpassed squarewave, but sometimes a question is asked that's pretty interesting.

If you're wanting videos, don't just look for ones using your DAW, or just for glitchy music. I make long ass samples of glitchy sounds, and then grab chunks out of it and molest them into shape. If you can add randomness to a track, try that out.

Everyone finds a way they enjoy making music, I like getting ideas out fast, some people spend ages on a song, just enjoy yourself and focus on the journey and discovery instead of the end result.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #13
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 71974
Thanked 1,188 Times in 729 Posts

A great way for a beginner to learn, imo, is to blindly turn knobs on hardware until you have something you love and then work backwards to see how you did it. It's a bit quicker towards gratification, and helps you understand the physical functions. Don't get overwhelmed with lessons and tutorials. Sure sometimes they're helpful, but really try and be hands on. Like lolirl said, experiment. Also buying some drugs and blackout blinds will help (I'm not a Doctor and these statements have not be reviewed by the FDA.)

Listen to IDM, twiddle knobs, get record label, get khakis, get girls

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #14
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710

Worst answer of all time: It's basically like using your DAW as its own instrument. It's not just about automation lanes, it's about macros and precision (other times, it's totally about those automation lanes). Sample sources can range from your own field recordings to actual stock sample packs, and you can even resample those with your own weird shit on them.

When you start building something huge out of many different parts, a lot of the magic 'what do I do next?' shit just kind of falls by the wayside. A good example of this is spending days in your DAW doing nothing but sound design, so that next week you can literally rack everything you've made and see how your designs work together. Or literally chopping up / warping breaks so that later, you can figure out whether you're even going to use them at all or not.

Just think of it like legos, or minecraft - little blocks, one at a time.

And yes, I'm going to drive somebody crazy with legoS. Deal with it

Last edited by Vault O))); 03-10-2017 at 09:29 AM..
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #15
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

I don't really think of IDM as a genre so much as a production mindset.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 18-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #16
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963548
Thanked 1,154 Times in 888 Posts

i'm no expert, but to add to what everyone else said, one way to learn is to try and do electronic covers of idm songs it can be extremely hard. It will take a while to figure out what goes where just going by ear and matching beats and synths according to the waveform. You can use a filter or an eq to isolate the bass, the drums, the lead, the pads,etc.. from each other and then try to reproduce it.

For idmish drums, a shortcut is to pick a synthesizer make a bass noise in addition to some other sound textures that you can use, play with the lfo settings and the filter settings and envelopes, if the synth has them, record the sounds, run them through a sampler to play with the envelopes in order to make them into percussion instruments, arrange the sounds and add effects if you want, record, then load the percussion instruments into a beat slicer/something equivalent to a beat slicer.

or use drum synths

plus layering, resampling, all that other stuff

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #17
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Worst answer of all time: It's basically like using your DAW as its own instrument. It's not just about automation lanes, it's about macros and precision (other times, it's totally about those automation lanes). Sample sources can range from your own field recordings to actual stock sample packs, and you can even resample those with your own weird shit on them.

When you start building something huge out of many different parts, a lot of the magic 'what do I do next?' shit just kind of falls by the wayside. A good example of this is spending days in your DAW doing nothing but sound design, so that next week you can literally rack everything you've made and see how your designs work together. Or literally chopping up / warping breaks so that later, you can figure out whether you're even going to use them at all or not.

Just think of it like legos, or minecraft - little blocks, one at a time.

And yes, I'm going to drive somebody crazy with legoS. Deal with it
I love thinking of my DAW as a giant sampler. I rarely leave anything live in MIDI.

------------------
Old 20-10-2017, 02:16 AM   #18
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I love thinking of my DAW as a giant sampler. I rarely leave anything live in MIDI.
Me too. I always record MIDI down to samples and work with those. Love sampling, sound of cut up sounds. Only way, imo.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 20-10-2017, 03:28 AM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
Me too. I always record MIDI down to samples and work with those. Love sampling, sound of cut up sounds. Only way, imo.
Its funny to me that there are all these VSTs like Stutter Edit etc. When its so easy to setup something like that in your DAW and just go to town. I mean, I don't know a lot about those VSTs, but I have this sneaking suspicion they aren't doing much special.

------------------
Thanks to relic
I/O_Madness (20-10-2017)
Old 20-10-2017, 03:47 AM   #20
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Its funny to me that there are all these VSTs like Stutter Edit etc. When its so easy to setup something like that in your DAW and just go to town. I mean, I don't know a lot about those VSTs, but I have this sneaking suspicion they aren't doing much special.
I can't stand all the people who load up on plug ins and are all like, "ahh I have SUPER EXTRA DELAY, and BIG EXPENSIVE FLANGE", then they don't even know how to use them but think that because they spent their money on it it somehow means it's good. So many people in my music degree had no idea how delay or flange actually worked, to them it's just a type of guitar pedal in their collection of never used guitar pedals.

When I started out, I worked in Sonic Foundry Acid Music, which was the basic version and had no fx, no plugins, no synths, nothing like that. About all you could do was automate the volume and panning, and aside from that you could cut up samples. I didn't have money to go buy all the fancy software, so I just did everything with samples. That's how I got really interested in studio techniques, tape, musiqe concrete and all. So many FX are simple concepts, and yet people insist on paying so much money on this fancy plug in or that fancy plug in, and they don't even learn how to really use them, but don't hesitate to show it off as a "proof" of their being a producer. Just because you spend lots of money doesn't make you anything. When all you spend money on stuff you don't use, you're amassing a pile of crap. That's all.

Last edited by I/O_Madness; 21-10-2017 at 04:51 AM..

Advertisements

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
A.M (20-10-2017)