Tool to find similar artists?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
StampedeMe
His Free Pass Has Expired
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 5011
Tool to find similar artists?

Lads,

I'm a bit rusty with finding new music. It's been a couple of years since I found anything more than an album or seperate tracks that I liked, nothing that brings chill to the spine though. I haven't discovered an artist whose discography I could browse through for years now.

Making a topic "Any artists similar to ..." doesn't do its work and is more likely costing other people time to help and might not necessarily bring out what I'm looking for. My question is: Is there a tool/website/app/whatever that somehow connects arists of the same kind other than 'by genre'? I wouldn't find anything that way, the whole genre thing is a bit broad in terms of artists I enjoy listening to.

I remember from years ago that Last.fm was that kind of thing but I don't feel like streaming a dozen of artists just to get some 'matches'. The last.fm system was pretty precise though, it helped a lot finding new music, is it still the only viable tool to search? If there's anything else can you please shoot me with a tip? I desperately need inspiration and I'm in the void looking for anything jaw-dropping. Thank you in advance.

Edit: Yeah, tried looking by label too, but I already know almost whole catalogs by heart from labels I look up to.

Advertisements

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123310
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,444 Posts
Re: Tool to find similar artists?

bandcamp tag search, spotify user playlists might work or just go to any artist and you look at "similar artists" tab. Good way to find new stuff. You also have these compilation albums so you can check each artist individually if you liked something about them. There also are channels on youtube too that focus on one specific mood or style so you can subscribe to them and scroll through uploads. For labels, just find new ones, plenty of bandcamp, especially independant ones.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
StampedeMe (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
StampedeMe
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag

@up: Yes, that might help just a bit, I mean the YouTube channels at least. I now recall there are vid-compilations of similar stuff made by people and this could lead me somewhere. Never tried Spotify, I don't know if this is even available in Poland. Compilations and Bancamp can be dropped, these are mainly established artists that are difficult to categorize in terms of genre, we're talking Flying Lotus, Bibio, Daedelus, MNDSGN, all the stuff on Brainfeeder, a bit of Warp, most Stones Throw, I'm putting these names out as they're established enough but difficult to search in terms of similarity. I'm open to new things but I got to start somewhere from these. Would be harder to go from genres or popular music.

Thank you for the response

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

Old 08-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
Vault O)))
Buttcase
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54260
Thanked 1,085 Times in 713 Posts

Spotify radio, discover, release radar, playlists, and the similar-playlist duplicator are all pretty huge options that exist within one single app. You can also still scrobble to last.fm from spotify just in case you want to get new recommendations from there, too.

If there's one app that's pretty much designed to keep finding you artists you'll actually like, it's Spotify

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
StampedeMe (10-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
Flexagon
Minor Glitch
Flexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

Agree with the Spotify comments. No one way to use it and all work well at finding new music.

Youtube's algorithm is pretty scary too once it learns what you like. In a good way.

------------------
Flexagon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Flexagon
StampedeMe (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
StampedeMe
Elblag

Thank you guys, going to look into Spotify then. And maybe I'll pass some time scrobbling to Last.fm but for real I don't even listen to music on the PC for a couple of years now.

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

Old 11-05-2018, 12:31 AM   #7
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29910

I also use Spotify.

Problem is that, unfortunately, the way the brain works.. the more options we have in front of us, the more unappealing they all become. It’s good to keep that in mind. It’s like when I downloaded every SNES game in existence and would play them all for like 5 seconds and be like “meh”.... but when I was a kid I would play the shittiest ones for hours and love it because that’s all i had.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:43 AM   #8
Vault O)))
Buttcase
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
I also use Spotify.

Problem is that, unfortunately, the way the brain works.. the more options we have in front of us, the more unappealing they all become. Itís good to keep that in mind. Itís like when I downloaded every SNES game in existence and would play them all for like 5 seconds and be like ďmehĒ.... but when I was a kid I would play the shittiest ones for hours and love it because thatís all i had.
Nah, it just raises the bar. Then when you find something killer, you're like "Fucking yes, algorithm!" and you won't stop listening.

The way I see it: we used to put up with shitty SNES games and music because we had to, but now it's easier than ever to see if something is good or not. If most of it looks / sounds like shit, you're probably right - that's how it has always been. Real gems are something else.

------------------
Old 14-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #9
StampedeMe
Elblag

I never tried Spotify, just hope I can simply spin a tune or two and then find some recommendations. I don't really want to pay for the subscription as it's nothing I'd need in the long run. Found out that I can also look for similar artists on Last.fm without scrobbling so it's a bonus too. Thank you guys once again.

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

Old 14-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45965698
Thanked 1,197 Times in 921 Posts

i used music map, too lazy to dig sometimes

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

When I find something on Bandcamp I like, I search the collections and wishlists of other users who liked that something.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #12
Flexagon
Minor Glitch
Flexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
When I find something on Bandcamp I like, I search the collections and wishlists of other users who liked that something.
I love that Bandcamp emails you to let you know how your music was found when someone buys a track after digging around like that.

------------------
Flexagon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Flexagon
relic (15-05-2018)
Old 15-05-2018, 12:13 AM   #13
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123310
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,444 Posts

Bandcamp is so massive because everyone can put their stuff there, even some defunct labels from the past upload everything they got, works like an archive for shit music too. It must have loads of stuff we’ve been looking for ages and something to fall in love instantly sitting there just like that but we need to discover it all somehow. New content by unknown every day, so be more tag specific which is hit or miss. You better be in that mood of urgent need for new music and just keep going till you reach the last page. Sorting by new arrivals, popular stuff, doesn’t matter too much, tags seem to work so it narrows search quite a lot. You also start to sense how much effort went to music instantly just by looking at album art (ms paint ones = bad) too. Oh yeah, don’t forget to listen, not just look at album arts. No algorithm can do it.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Vault O))) (15-05-2018)
Old 15-05-2018, 02:39 AM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
Bandcamp is so massive because everyone can put their stuff there, even some defunct labels from the past upload everything they got, works like an archive for shit music too. It must have loads of stuff weíve been looking for ages and something to fall in love instantly sitting there just like that but we need to discover it all somehow. New content by unknown every day, so be more tag specific which is hit or miss. You better be in that mood of urgent need for new music and just keep going till you reach the last page. Sorting by new arrivals, popular stuff, doesnít matter too much, tags seem to work so it narrows search quite a lot. You also start to sense how much effort went to music instantly just by looking at album art (ms paint ones = bad) too. Oh yeah, donít forget to listen, not just look at album arts. No algorithm can do it.
It is huge and not fan friendly. It can take some serious digging. I've spent hours in the bandcamp rabbit hole.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #15
Vault O)))
Buttcase
St. Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
It is huge and not fan friendly. It can take some serious digging. I've spent hours in the bandcamp rabbit hole.
Really? I feel like I find gems there all the time. The only reason I choose not to search too much is because I'll lose money in the process, unlike streaming services.

I know it would cheapen the indie market (which is kind of a big deal) but I'd be on board if they did a monthly streaming subscription like the rest of them

Advertisements

------------------