[Techno] Ubh- Essential Tremor Test
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 26-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
Ubh
Radial Developer
Ubh has a spectacular aura aboutUbh has a spectacular aura aboutUbh has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
[Techno] Ubh- Essential Tremor Test

This is a reworked version of a track by the same name uploaded over a year ago. Taking on board feedback which suggested the first third sounded a bit pedestrian compared to the rest of the track, or words to that effect, I've added a second kick drum track, a basic bass melody, and tweeked some of the levels and timing.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

Ubh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Techno] Ubh- Essential Tremor Test.
Old 26-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts
Re: [Techno] Ubh- Essential Tremor Test

Are you mixing this "loud" through speakers and/or headphones?

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
localspace
Analog Lurker
localspace is a glorious beacon of lightlocalspace is a glorious beacon of lightlocalspace is a glorious beacon of lightlocalspace is a glorious beacon of lightlocalspace is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Good stuff, I like this. A bit droney for my taste and I wasn't sure what to make of it for the first couple of minutes. It only really connected for me from around 3 minutes on, but it's really cool and different from there.
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #4
Ubh
Radial Developer
Ubh has a spectacular aura aboutUbh has a spectacular aura aboutUbh has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Are you mixing this "loud" through speakers and/or headphones?
Through speakers. By asking the question I'm guessing there is some aspect of it that sounds wrong to you?
Old 28-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubh View Post
Through speakers. By asking the question I'm guessing there is some aspect of it that sounds wrong to you?
I wouldn't say "wrong"..don't think there's really a wrong way..it all depends on the style / genre you mixing and what you want to achieve. There's a difference between me thinking this sounds wrong..and me thinking there are things you could have done better or differently. I'm not splitting hairs here..the first is presuming too much..and the latter is recognizing possible errors or omissions in your mixing practice, if you know what I mean.

Besides, I always try to be as subjective as possible, when leaving feedback..a person is free to take it or leave it as they see fit..it's their work after all and only they know the sound they were going for in the first place.

All that said, this just struck me as being a bit too low compared to what I know as Techno..it's all bass and everything else is muffled out low in the mix..which can sometimes happen when somebody is mixing high through speakers..basically "banging it out". If that's what you were aiming for, then you hit the mark..if not and you want more dynamics and each element coming through clearly, then I could make a few suggestions, but I'll hold back on that for now.

Cool track, though..I liked the over-all feel of it and how it progressed.

------------------
Old 30-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Ubh
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I wouldn't say "wrong"..don't think there's really a wrong way..it all depends on the style / genre you mixing and what you want to achieve. There's a difference between me thinking this sounds wrong..and me thinking there are things you could have done better or differently. I'm not splitting hairs here..the first is presuming too much..and the latter is recognizing possible errors or omissions in your mixing practice, if you know what I mean...
Yes, I agree. In truth the use of wrong was laziness on my part (I think I was probably still waking up when I sent that reply)!

I struggle when it comes to mixing my tracks. I rarely come close to achieving the clarity Im after in a busy track such as this (bass dominance is not what Im after here), and feel I should be able to attain better results given the tools I have at my disposal (LogicPro).
So, if you are willing to take the time to share your suggestions I would appreciate it.
Old 30-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubh View Post
Yes, I agree. In truth the use of wrong was laziness on my part (I think I was probably still waking up when I sent that reply)!

I struggle when it comes to mixing my tracks. I rarely come close to achieving the clarity Im after in a busy track such as this (bass dominance is not what Im after here), and feel I should be able to attain better results given the tools I have at my disposal (LogicPro).
So, if you are willing to take the time to share your suggestions I would appreciate it.
Sure..no problem..glad to help you if I can. For the record, anything I can suggest wouldn't be style / genre specific, as I'm shite at producing the kind the stuff you do. Guys like you really impress me how you can put such stuff together..it's all a little too "busy" for me to manage..I've tried and always end up with..well..total shite.

But, yeah..I think I have give you a few pointers on how to get a clearer sound..I'll PM you and we can take it from there.

------------------
Old 31-03-2018, 12:18 AM   #8
devils_avocado
Minor Glitch
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

I have a genetic hand tremor... does that count?

Anyway... interesting sounds.
devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
crog
IDMf's latest spammer
crog is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

like the oboe sounding bass at 3.49 fella, tight work , panning also adds nicely to the atmosphere
crog is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #10
Dudewill
Master of the LFO
Dudewill will become famous soon enoughDudewill will become famous soon enough
The land of the drunk
MC Status: 110

Sorry for the short feedback, but I think you should carve some space out for the kick and really go for that loud boomy techno kick. It does sound a bit muffled currently. I like what you're going for though, keep us posted!

------------------
Dudewill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Ubh
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils_avocado View Post
I have a genetic hand tremor... does that count?
Hmmm...I suppose you could probably bluff the test with that... honorary membership at least!
Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #12
Indigo
Soundscaper
Indigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

I agree that the kick drum is too washed out for techno and should really be punching through more. Subtractive EQ in the non kick tracks would really help with that. Roll of those lows. I do really enjoy your use of texture though!

------------------
Indigo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
Ubh
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
. Subtractive EQ in the non kick tracks would really help with that. Roll of those lows. I do really enjoy your use of texture though!
Thanks for taking the time to listen and give feedback. Good advice on the subtractive EQing. I'll be adding that to my "to do" list.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #14
samv
Regular Freak
samv is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

A lot of interesting stuff going on, i like it! Personally i would add a more agressive kick, pushed forward more in the mix (as mentioned by others before). This would go well with the haunting synth line in the track.
You also need some clarity in the high-end of the mix, add or make room for one clear off beat hi-hat which leads your track (together with that more apparent kick and the bass you got already).

Keep it up

Advertisements

samv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote