Easiest way to recreate old track / import MIDI
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 16-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
wipeout
Soundscaper
wipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MC
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 2023747
Easiest way to recreate old track / import MIDI

Hello,

I made this track 7ish years ago and am thinking about recreating it. It's probably 5 computers ago so all the information is gone other than downloading the file from youtube. What's the easiest way to get the midi information? I can try and recreate the track but I don't know what key it's in either (my music theory sucks).

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
wipeout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts
Re: Easiest way to recreate old track / import MIDI

If you're working from the audio from a YouTube vid only, then I guess the only way to do it is to rip the audio, convert it to midi format and then import the whole mess back into your daw and take it from there, assigning new instruments / plugins to each part that you extract from the bundle of notes you'll start out with.

Basically, when you import it, you're going to have to weed through everything and delete everything apart from what you want to keep for each track in the mix. So, if you have drums, you're going to have to isolate them and delete all the other notes, then save what's left as your drum track.

Then open/create a new track and import the whole midi file you started with back into the new track..find the next instrument and repeat the process all over again, doing it repeatedly until you have all the tracks in mix back in the order they originally were 7 years ago.

I take it from the daw badge under your name that you're working with Ableton, in which case the following links should help..

There's a number of both fee-based and free converter programs out there will help you do this..just do a search and they should be easy enough to find.

Best of luck and sorry there's no easy and fast way that I know of..maybe somebody on here does know a shorter process..best of luck anyway.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 01:47 AM   #3
wipeout
Soundscaper
wipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MC
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 2023747

yeah I guess i'm just looking to get the midi info for a couple of the synths and just roughly recreate the drums. I think I can do it a lot better than I did then anyways. Thanks for that! It looks like i'l just have to EQ out some of the other parts and trust in MIDI import.

------------------
wipeout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 01:55 AM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipeout View Post
yeah I guess i'm just looking to get the midi info for a couple of the synths and just roughly recreate the drums. I think I can do it a lot better than I did then anyways. Thanks for that! It looks like i'l just have to EQ out some of the other parts and trust in MIDI import.

I honestly don't know if using EQ like that will help much..I've never tried it myself, but to my mind EQ would be just an "after-effect" on the sound/audio each note makes..meaning when you convert to midi, the notes themselves might well still be there, as they're actual date and the EQ'ing would only be effecting how that data sounds when played back, if that makes any sense..it would still be there, just not as audible as in the original..so you might still have to set about deleting them.

Maybe I'm wrong..like I said, I've never tried what you're intending to do, so I could have it all arse-ways.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #5
Vault O)))
Anal Cunt fanclub bonerbonerbonerbonerboner boner
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54210
Thanked 1,084 Times in 712 Posts

If it's just a couple of parts from an old song, it really shouldn't be too difficult to just rewrite it. I do this all the time for songs on guitar (trust me, I'm not a guitarist at all and I know 0% theory) and it usually just takes a few minutes.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (17-03-2018)
Old 17-03-2018, 11:17 PM   #6
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560

hum the parts you want and re write the parts back out in midi by matching your humming to keys 0n the piano roll/key edit
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744040641
Thanked 7,464 Times in 4,621 Posts

Use an audio to midi analyser/translator such as Melodyne or the one in Cubase.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
A.M (18-03-2018)
Old 18-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541177
Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,319 Posts

do it by ear.

you did it once before. all of that converting youtuve to audio audio to midi blah blah blah is going to take you ages longer than just doing the work...

ive tried the audio to midi thing in Ableton a few times to see what i could get out of it and it SUCKS

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Vault O))) (19-03-2018)
Old 18-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
do it by ear.

you did it once before. all of that converting youtuve to audio audio to midi blah blah blah is going to take you ages longer than just doing the work...

ive tried the audio to midi thing in Ableton a few times to see what i could get out of it and it SUCKS
thats why i hum the parts i want to recreate and match my humms by ear
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
TheSampleThief
Microknight
TheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

depending on the track, you can maybe use some samples, I used to remix tracks without stems (only the full track) and it was a lot of fun IMHO. ^^

1) If you have some parts where you have clean audio on some drums or synths, take them out, do a bit of EQ'ing and you got something to work with.

2) You can also cut the track into different frequencies, do some more finetuning on the EQ and maybe you have the sub part or some part of the melody or something.

3) Certain Synths (like Harmor on Fl Studio) or good Samplers also give you quite a bit of options what to do with wav's. You can maybe just take a small clean part of your synth, make a very short loop in the sampler and you can get a bit more range on the notes if you're working off of a small clean sample, that doesn't cover the whole melody.

4) If certain parts aren't 100% clean and you hear some other stuff you don't want in that sample (even after EQ'ing the hell out of it), you can also mask some of the things with effectors like a bit of reverb or delay or whatever floats your boat. This of course means your track will be more "cluttered" with stuff, so only do when absolutely necessary and you have enough room in your mix to work with.

Those aren't really the most elegant solutions and require a bit of trying and finding the least bad way of working with what you've got, but I find it quite enjoyable to work with samples in that way. ^^

Advertisements

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote