Why is modern Pop Music so terrible?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts
Why is modern Pop Music so terrible?

You might have seen this YT video already, but if not, then it's worth a watch. I think he's totally right..what do you think?

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
relic (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 571251
Re: Why is modern Pop Music so terrible?

i just rewatched this last week and now its funny to see your thread here! Been bothering myself with the same thing a lot in the recent years!

To cut to the chase : popular music is terrible forf number of reasons, not the last of which is that many people have terrible taste in life in all manners, not just ...ahem... art.

Inauthentic lives are occupied with inauthentic interests and devotion. There is a vast industry for maintaining the discourse of hypnotic conformism, that brings mostly close to none value in a person's life, yes , also in the aesthetical domain of our world.

Also many people like what other people currently do to fit in the status quo.

Also conformity and uniformity can be and are induced and maintained through sound and vibration of the popular culture. We are literally being littered with electromagnetic stimuli in that modern age of electronic communication. There is eve too much artificial light in our habitats. Tv junk musical junk. For an individual that has lost the strive to define and create a legitimate self, they would take anything! You know, "World, TURN ME ON! Ill Take Anything!". There is no actual assessment of what is being perceived. It's a way to be kept in the herd mentality. I see the way people react to similar musical stimuli in social environments as nightlife venues and so on. And the sad thing is , people like it.

Of course that doesn't mean there isn't good popular music out there! But it will never be the 80's again

When one exchanges their sovereignty for the privileges of the status quo, it gets even harder to define isn't good and what is good. Instead there is the consumption of whatever meaningless piece of decoration is pushed down the pipe... Critical thinking, no thank you!

I am not gonna even get started on the music technology , trends and how spoiled we've become exactly because of the great fascilitation of music gear, etc.

Instant gratification. Easy. Now. Hassle-Free. Less effort. No discomfort. Popular. Followers. Likes. Famous. Narcissism. Celebritism. Mimic the role models. Success.

No devotion. Superficiality. Strict aim-obsession with no purposeful meaning whatsoever of the path walked towards that certain aim.

No actual values, based upon individual experience and inquiry into introspection and realization of the authentic self.

Stay locked in the consensus trance, pocket your groove to the grid.

Last edited by slugware; 05-02-2018 at 07:56 PM..

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

I don't think any of the three people in the thumbnail are relevant anymore.

The current mainstream is rap and there is quality stuff coming out of it (Hello Kendrick).

"It will never be the 80's again" the 80's had a good amount of shit. A reaaaal good amount of shit. There's always been shit music pushed at the forefront. And there's always good stuff in the mainstream as well.

I think this thread could be had on any forum at any time period.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Chozo Tull
A.M (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 12160

We get it, pop music is bad! However, there is still a decent amount of skilled craftsmanship that goes into it. For instance, the line about Blurred Lines (which is a song I fucking hate) being made with "only one instrument - a drum machine" is pretty silly. A drum machine, or sequencer, is for sure one box or piece of software, but it plays many many many instruments and parts doesn't it? And it's not automatic, you have to compose and arrange everything, and mix it too! Being on an electronic music forum, I'm quite fond of repetitive sequences and synthetic sounds, and recognize the artistry behind such tunes... If they are artistic and have feeling. Yes, even house music can be these things! Also, the compression example was pretty terrible imo, and most good audio engineers and electronic musicians know a thing or two about tasteful, exciting compression. Especially on drums.

The counter example of the full orchestra for A Day In The Life as being somehow better than using less instruments and sounds is baloney (bologna?), a well-made piece of minimal art is every bit as powerful as a massive expressionist piece. However, comparing a fantastic song to Robin Thicke is like comparing a 5 star meal to a burnt fast food burger.

The "right" points in this video are the trends in melodies, chord and song structure, and themes explored in pop music today. It's mostly shit, uninspired, and rehashed. This is where a comparison between A Day In The Life and Blurred Lines is appropriate. One song is about the human condition and how we cope with it, and the other is about trying to get girls to be stupid sexual objects against their better judgement. "You know you want it", that kind of bullshit. And a decent amount of other pop is about repulsively dumb shit as well, drugs and money and stuff. This is where pop music has gone wrong, the intent. Good point about the inauthenticity and conformity, slug.

Hope I didn't piss in your cornflakes too hard, there were just some points in this vid that were weak. I, too, dislike modern pop music.

I also do realize that this vid is probably not made for musicians, artists, or audio engineers such as ourselves, so the examples are layman-friendly

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
Vault O)))
Buttcase
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54260
Thanked 1,085 Times in 713 Posts

Pop music always sounded like shit to me so I never expected it to randomly get good out of nowhere. Highly experimental bands usually don't acquire much of a fanbase, so I can see huge aspirations of a jam / jazz / punk / swing ensemble being crushed when there's only 2 or 3 people in the world who would even care enough to go to said show.

These statements are unrelated, but music is dead and has been for a long time. There's a reason for it.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

I could pretty much go the rest of my life and never here 90% of the classic rock that has been beat into me from listening to the radio for 35 years in Ohio. At this point there is some well done minimal pop music I can do all day long. Fuck AC/DC.

Last edited by relic; 05-02-2018 at 09:43 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 174060
Thanked 3,481 Times in 2,077 Posts

If you could pull all recordings of people singing "happy birthday" at parties and listen to them chronologically, you would notice that your average person's ability to sing a melody goes steadily to shit. People are becoming tone deaf. I'm almost 42 and that is one thing I have noticed through time.

#science
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 27010

I think it's just business. The money doesn't come from the music, it comes from fame. So you should only focus on making music just good enough to get noticed. And the right music is well defined at this point, and the marketing is where it gets creative and you actually get noticed. Bonus if every now and then you actually make something good that won't be forgotten within 18 months. Live shows might be better too, I don't hear people complain about that, but that could be confirmation bias of the audience justifying their expenditure. I've only been to garage shows, so IDK.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 571251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
One song is about the human condition and how we cope with it, and the other is about trying to get girls to be stupid sexual objects against their better judgement. "You know you want it", that kind of bullshit. And a decent amount of other pop is about repulsively dumb shit as well, drugs and money and stuff. This is where pop music has gone wrong, the intent.

I absolutely agree. This is how a set of real life ethical values are transcribed as a mental values implicitly through the language (lyrics). "Oh, i need you!" 'I cant live without you". When one doesn't have the habit of maintaining reasonable informational hyegene, outer thoughts and values are taken for one's owns. Because there is a craving for receiving validation from an external authority. This is how we are set in an age where is taken for normal to put women (or anyone now) on piedestal just because of how they look, and you gotta cater and butler for them in order to get their approval. Beta-male submissiveness, agreeableness, no backspine whatsoever, because one has sold themselves to get the approval of the image-holders. Popular music breeds that set of values, needyness, over-exploitation of sexuality in meaningless form,. approval-seeking behavior, and hugely perverts and diminshes true masculinity besides everything else. This is how we end up with all those social jusctice whinning and everyone gets offended by anything said by anyone.

A shortcut to full-blown mediocrity.

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to slugware
A.M (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

Don't know if I'd take it that far..just know that mainstream pop music is shite for the most part..and apparently getting worse..or so it seems.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #11
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

My other immediate reactions is that one study is never the whole picture. Nothing here accounts for cultural changes that drove music towards particular tools and therefor particular timbres/levels of complexity. It also assumes complex music is necessarily better than minimal.

As White Noise points out the whole culture is different. The music is only a small part of the product being sold.

Modern pop is a natural reaction in many ways to the music of the 60’s and 70’s. Just as societies tend to swing “liberal” and “conservative” the arts shift in similar ways. Its all very interesting, but I think there is a much broader story to be told. Let’s be honest there is plenty of same-y-ness at the core of the music the YT guy holds up as the golden standard. Most of the music from any area is going to be disposable. There are some pretty popular bands (granted not Justin Beiber big) that are doing really complex music these days. Granted they aren’t reaching an audience as big as the Beatles did : ) If you look 30 years back from Lonely Hearts there is a ton of absolutely insipid popular music.

I don’t disagree with science. I think its interesting, the video th at is. But access to good music is so easy it hardly seems worth worrying about what teenagers are listening to. Pop music isn’t the sole culprit when it comes to poor values that favor falunting misogny, drugs and money—that comes from a much larger cultural shift.

Similarly, Lonely Hearts is a product of its time. Now that we have Twitter, music doesn’t need to be social or political.

Lyric complexity: Also due to cultural shifts. In the 60s and 70s more and more people were better educated and better read than in previous decades, popular music’s lyrics reflet this. Come the end of the century and on—even more people go to school, but they mostly all go to the same broken system and become poorly educated/miseducated. The lyrics of modern music reflect this. Just like when he mentions how a big cultural shift (instant access/instant gratification) changed our attention spans.

/Loudness war. I’m with you here.

I call a little bullshit on us not being the final judge of whether or not an artist sticks around, the whole corporate brain washing thing. I vote with my dollars on music all the time. I’ve only recently bought a few things from Top 40 charts for an up coming DJ set. Unless you consume absolutely nothing but “pop” media, its very easy to avoid even ever hearing top 40 music. Like, I understand the science behind that, but ah...anyway....

Point being, I think he brings together a lot of interesting stuff here : )

Also the end...nope...good music is in no danger of being wiped out.

Last edited by relic; 05-02-2018 at 10:09 PM..

------------------
Old 05-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 174060
Thanked 3,481 Times in 2,077 Posts

The mechanics of "the hook" are quite well established. There are no secrets there anymore. The big showbiz machine sells a stimuli for all the dogs and bitches out there whose senses are now so dull they can't tell good food from a pile of steaming dogshit.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
A.M (05-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 12:19 AM   #13
emessiah
Regular Freak
emessiah is just really niceemessiah is just really niceemessiah is just really niceemessiah is just really nice
illegal exit from the game grid
MC Status: 360

stupid music for stupid people, basically. all these new white/ish rappers suck out loud too.... seriously, did you know if you play lil uzi vert music backwards it says "i suck dick, yeah" ??? holy crap i didn't need to play the music backwards to figure that out =P
emessiah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to emessiah
A.M (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 01:27 AM   #14
Artificer
Ghostly
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 38160

I disagree with the video and this kid's poor interpretation of crappy science (specifically the really disingenuous use of the term timbre as applied to an entire song or body of songs).

Since the inception of culture, you can divide the human race into two camps - people who want to be challenged by art in some way, and those that don't. Pop music (and pop art in general) caters solely to the latter category, and those people vastly outnumber those in the former.

Simply, pop music is specifically made for people not to think about. It's simple and vacuous by design, precisely because that's what people like about it. Moreover, it's been like that as long as there's been music. It's not getting worse, it's always been worse. That's what makes it popular.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #15
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
I disagree with the video and this kid's poor interpretation of crappy science (specifically the really disingenuous use of the term timbre as applied to an entire song or body of songs).

Since the inception of culture, you can divide the human race into two camps - people who want to be challenged by art in some way, and those that don't. Pop music (and pop art in general) caters solely to the latter category, and those people vastly outnumber those in the former.

Simply, pop music is specifically made for people not to think about. It's simple and vacuous by design, precisely because that's what people like about it. Moreover, it's been like that as long as there's been music. It's not getting worse, it's always been worse. That's what makes it popular.
Yellow Submarine.

/Thread

------------------
Old 06-02-2018, 04:07 AM   #16
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45965698
Thanked 1,197 Times in 921 Posts

some modern pop music maybe good
maybe this for example:

^at least from the technical aspect but the lyrics are take it or leave it

its subjective, but still to me some of the music lost its edge.

member when jazz used to be pop, even blues, man those days are gone shame...

they just want your soul man..

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Br/ainfu+ked
A.M (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #17
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63310
Thanked 1,266 Times in 932 Posts

Has anyone fact checked the claim that itís basically two songwriters?

I found some of the arguments quite intuitive (thatís good and bad), such as the decreased attention span and the sheer volume of stuff thatís flooding us.

I honestly find a lot of what the Beatles put out quite stupendously infantile (She loves me, yeah yeah), so I donít quite get that point. Several bands have now done sessions with full orchestras. Metallica and Evanescence, ffs.

Is a piano concerto by Tchaikovsky the measure of what constitutes good music? Music is and should be a reflection of a culture in a specific time. Take Techno, for example, where Jeff Millsí quote comes to mind:ĒTechno wasnít designed to be dance music, it was designed to be a futurist statement.Ē

I would surmise that this is very much aligned with what contemporary expections are from the arts. It has long since emancipated itself from the technical mastery of an instrument or painting on canvas. Joseph Boeys or Christo come to mind, or Ryoji Ikeda. When Wagner composed Tannhšuser, the conflict of piety and lust was very relevant. The notion of redemption and honor. So, to me, the question is really this: does pop music have any aspiration to make a statement? Does it question the human condition? I find that difficult to substantiate in pop music. Pop music, to me, is a pleasant background music to some of the mundane activities in daily life, the soundtrack that makes silence less awkward, that fills public spaces. Itís never been intended to examine the human condition.

On the positive side... there has never been more diversity in music than now. The aggregate artistry that we can pick from these days is staggering. From Bach, to John Coltrane, to The Doors, The Sex Pistols, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Mills, and Justin Bieber (how is that for a decline?). You have to ask: whatís there still to add? What is there that hasnít been done, hasnít been articulated, hasnít been thought of? And there is also a unique condition. Have you not felt the paralysis of looking at 50 GB of MP3s, all the streaming options, YT, and wondered: what the hell AM I in the mood for? Never has there been a greater diversity of music I have had access to, but I still only listen to one or two curated playlists I maintain. It is easy to become overwhelmed, so having someone give you direction is often quite a relief.

So, what does it all mean... to me: whatever suits you. Pop is just but one option to provide a musical backdrop to your life. Donít like it, listen to other music from a ďbetter timeĒ. Whatís stopping you? There has probably been more music composed by now than any one individual could possibly listen to in a lifetime. There has never been a better time to be into music, other than tomorrow.

Isnít that great!?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #18
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110100
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,412 Posts

I'm having dťjŗ vu with this thread. Pop music does its job. People sing along, dance, party, be happy, etc. Lighten the fuck up. Creating good pop takes as much skill/talent/effort as any of the BS we circle jerk over.

Responding mostly to the video and the imagined responses to it. I see lots of people who have basically said eh who cares or admitted to enjoying some modern pop.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #19
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

As usual Adam puts it better than I could

follow the guy his channel is great

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Chozo Tull
White Noise (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #20
Vault O)))
Buttcase
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54260
Thanked 1,085 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Has anyone fact checked the claim that it’s basically two songwriters?
I think it's a lot more than 2

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Unless it was Martin and Shellback, which in that case yes, there are 2 (T. Swift represents every artist, America, and other things BTW)

Advertisements

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote