Creating ambient
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 22-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
zaroukos
Knob Twiddler
zaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Creating ambient

Man as much as i love making music, as much as i love ambient, its so hard to create it espacially at night, when the song is 14 minutes long. I dont believe there's something harder than making ambient!

Oh! I brought the confession bear with me

Advertisements

zaroukos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Budlust
Analog Lurker
Budlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to all
MC Status: 610
Re: Creating ambient

I know how you feel man At a time like this I like to just mess around and completely experiment. record or find some crazy sounds, cover them with reverb and effects and let the ever changing loop roll over. Inspiration will come then.
Budlust is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

Just paulstretch everything and call it a day.

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincock View Post
Just paulstretch everything and call it a day.
This. I did so in [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Also try alot of attack time and alot of release time (with sustain turned up) on any wavetable synth (or any synth, really), and then drown it in reverb.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
k3rby
Learning The Ropes
k3rby has a spectacular aura aboutk3rby has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

ambient is pretty easy to make I just didn't know people liked it much
k3rby is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421870279
Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,803 Posts

Correction: shitty ambient is easy to make.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

A good tip for making ambient music - don't make it in a studio, closed off from the world. Make it outside, using headphones that don't block outside noise. Make it in different environments. Make it in the mountains, at the beach, at a park, on the bus, at your work, in the car....

Ambient is all about creating ambiance and atmosphere, and different places with help enforce this idea.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

I love making ambiance and textures, it's one of my favorite things as of late.

Granular synthesis using any sample w/ reverb is great.

Also don't be afraid to use vocals. Cut them into little bits, duplicate the bits in a row, fade up, reverb. Instant pad sounds.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Fear
Knob Twiddler
Fear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of light
San Francisco
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Correction: shitty ambient is easy to make.

^

Ambient stuff has to take me somewhere. Although I will say, I fucking love paulstretch. Sampled a lot of saxophone to help make some awesome noise layers (related to ambient, imo).

I find myself struggling to find what I want to hear next in a changing soundscape kind of thing.

------------------
Dumb things come out of my noise hole.

This has been previously established.

Thank you.
Fear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
FauxEffet
Analog Lurker
FauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

XXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by FauxEffet; 17-10-2014 at 12:21 PM..
FauxEffet is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1096897

Check out some plugins by Michael Norris. Some good stretching and audio manipulation plugins he has. But yeah, I think making shitty ambient is pretty easy, as Vlantis said. Just mash a bunch of pads together or time stretch audio and toss in delay and reverb. But you end up with a distant, muddy, washy mess that lacks clarity and it's easy to build up harsh resonances too.

I make quite a bit of ambient stuff but I'm still learning... I think you just have to keep practicing, compare your ambient stuff to other top ambient artists and just spend years crafting your sound - just like with any genre.

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Phantasy Star Online!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 175560
Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,620 Posts

Nothing pisses me off faster than somebody who should know better saying "ambient is easy to make"..it's not, it takes a lot of planning, creativity and inspiration..not to mention being able to find your way around a basic synth!

Throwing a sound file through Paulstretch IS NOT making ambient..it's altering the sound of a file..nothing more. At best, it might give you a good starting point to draw from as you build a good ambient track. But most tracks coming out of Paulstretch are far from being a good ambient track. They may sound like ambient..they may well be an integral part of an ambient track..but they are not ambient tracks in their own right. To say they are is a fecking insult to anyone who actually does make ambient music..as well as being disrespectful to the work they produce.

It seems those who think a Paulstretch end product is ambient fall into two groups..those who don't really know how to make ambient music and are still learning..or those who are just too fecking lazy to learn or make something of their own.

There's nothing wrong with Paulstretch..it's a great TOOL and one that should be used to help you build an ambient track. I even use it myself from time to time, but I would never in a million years consider anything I did in it to be ambient in it's own right..that's like buying a frozen pizza, baking it in the oven for however long and then telling everyone, "Hey..look everyone..I made this pizza." No you didn't..you just cooked it..somebody else put it all together in a box for you. Paulstretch is the oven/box..the sound file you put in it is the ingredients..and the end track is nothing more than a frozen pizza you just heated up..so don't kid yourself about it and what you are doing.

Either get your fingers dirty and learn to make your own sounds, in order to build your own ambient tracks..or don't bother. But don't pretend to be an ambient artist if you can't even build a pad of your own without falling back on Paulstretch of something similar.

Read..listen..learn..and experiment. Only through these 4 things will you be able to make something that is really an ambient track.

My apologies if toes have been stepped on here..but that's the truth of the matter..you have to put the work in to get the track out..be that ambient..rock..pop..punk..classical..whatever the genre may be.

Last edited by A.M; 25-07-2013 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Fecking typoes as ususal.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

But, what if you put work into writing/programming/producing/mixing audio, rendered/mixdowned the audio and then stretched it with Paul Extreme Stretcher?
Does that count?

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
But, what if you put work into writing/programming/producing/mixing audio, rendered/mixdowned the audio and then stretched it with Paul Extreme Stretcher?
Does that count?
Ah..let me thing about that one..

No..seriously..yeah..of course it counts, but that wasn't what I was getting at..I was referring to those out there who think Paulstretch is the be-all and end-all of ambient..that it's easy to be an ambient artist once you have Paulstretch and that anyone can do it.

But more to your original point..why would you want to put your work through Paulstretch if you are able to do all those things in the first place? Just make your own ambient track without it.

It IS easy once you know what to do and how to do it YOURSELF..it's called skill and knowladge. It's also true anyone can do it..AFTER they have put in the time to learn and develop themselves as artists. Just putting a found sound or somebody else's work through Paulstretch neither makes the end file an ambient track or you an ambient artist.

------------------
Old 25-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
electrodevo
Granular Poster
electrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MC
MC Status: 28451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Does that count?
Paul's Extreme Stretcher is a great tool, but I prefer using it as a tool on audio samples (such as: stretch, find interesting section to loop, synthesize with said interesting section, add FX, etc.). That said, I really haven't used it often, (hey, it's free, but I find so much more in other synths and plugins.)

Paul's Extreme Strecher has a definite type of sound, or "flavor", to it, so applying it to the final product would not be as optimal (similar to overusing uniquely flavored tools at the endpoint, things like "aural exciters" come to mind). You can get better "flavors" at the individual track / instrument level. (This applies to a lot of things in the audio world, really.)

------------------
BC|SC
electrodevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to electrodevo
A.M (25-07-2013)
Old 25-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1096897

For the record, I do think it's tough making ambient music. I said above that having it sound shitty was easy

I don't really treat ambient music the way I do with other types of music, or lets just say music that has drums in it. It's like you're carving a pathway for a stream or slow moving river that's about to catch up with you. If you take a wrong turn that water will end up crashing into something important. And it's difficult to where it will go sometimes because it's always moving, always evolving... hmm maybe I should start writing poems :p

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Phantasy Star Online!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Syllix
A.M (25-07-2013)
Old 25-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 114360
Thanked 2,287 Times in 1,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrodevo View Post
Paul's Extreme Stretcher is a great tool, but I prefer using it as a tool on audio samples (such as: stretch, find interesting section to loop, synthesize with said interesting section, add FX, etc.). That said, I really haven't used it often, (hey, it's free, but I find so much more in other synths and plugins.)

Paul's Extreme Strecher has a definite type of sound, or "flavor", to it, so applying it to the final product would not be as optimal (similar to overusing uniquely flavored tools at the endpoint, things like "aural exciters" come to mind). You can get better "flavors" at the individual track / instrument level. (This applies to a lot of things in the audio world, really.)
Exactly my thoughts. PaulStretch is a great tool. But it needs to be used more wisely. It's really awkward sometimes when you're listening to some ambient and you can hear that PaulStretch sounding.
Just putting track into PaulStretch, exporting and claiming that you've made an ambient track, nope, not my kind of thing.

I can't deny that I don't use PaulStretch. My music is mostly sample-based. While working with PS, I import a random sample, synth cut, or a field recording from my huge sample bank I've been collecting over the years. It usually just gives me a basic background and drops some ideas that I could develop further.
Here's a track of mine that started exactly like this.

that much?

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Damn.

One of the few times I see a "here's a track I made" in a thread like this that I actually want to hear and the damn SC widget seems to not be working. I see the widget, and the play button, but the inside is blank. Like no waveform.

Anyway...

I've never heard or used this Paul Stretch, perhaps it's worth taking a look at.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #19
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
Exactly my thoughts. PaulStretch is a great tool. But it needs to be used more wisely. It's really awkward sometimes when you're listening to some ambient and you can hear that PaulStretch sounding.
Just putting track into PaulStretch, exporting and claiming that you've made an ambient track, nope, not my kind of thing.

I can't deny that I don't use PaulStretch. My music is mostly sample-based. While working with PS, I import a random sample, synth cut, or a field recording from my huge sample bank I've been collecting over the years. It usually just gives me a basic background and drops some ideas that I could develop further.
Here's a track of mine that started exactly like this.

that much?
Nice track, ms_, really liked it. Loved "Far Frozen Lands" too..so much so that I just bought it. Really looking forward ot getting into it..playing "Brightfalls" as I type. this.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
ms_ (26-07-2013)
Old 26-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #20
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

I'll admit to being somewhat amused that what, I thought, was an obviously facetious remark has actually been taken seriously.
If anyone is actually just paulstretching shit and thinking they're doing something interesting they are sadly deluded, no doubt.

Advertisements

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sincock
Budlust (13-08-2013)