Oneohtrix Point Never
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 24-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
FtriangleR
Regular Freak
FtriangleR is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Oneohtrix Point Never

So what do you guys think of Oneohtrix Point Never? If you're not familiar with him, look up the song Child Soldier (I can't post links yet, har har). Anyways, I find that he's making, in my opinion, some of the freshest styles in ambient right now in terms of sampling. What do you guys think?

Advertisements

FtriangleR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Oneohtrix Point Never - Child Soldier
Old 24-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
felhound275
Regular Freak
felhound275 is currently spamming hard
Re: Oneohtrix Point Never

It's really interesting to this brought up because not that long ago I heard Child Soldier on the New Classical music station I listen to. I really like that album though I think it requires a different mood than more typical ambient, some of those samples are just too interesting to not enter the foreground of consciousness!

As an aside: I am always so thrilled to see discussion overlap between this forum and those in the contemporary classical community.
felhound275 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
FtriangleR
Regular Freak

I'm not TOO into Contemporary Classical, but have brushed up on some minimal piano works/classical instrumentation such as Olafur Arnalds, Goldmund, Nils Frahm, Balmorhea (Maybe?) I've never been 100% on the definition, but yeah man I'm very into it. Almost any "soft" music is a ok by me.
Old 26-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
felhound275
Regular Freak
felhound275 is currently spamming hard

In reading up on Oneohtrix Point Never, I came across an article discussing his use of sample form old tv commercials, something I think is great because of the additional content the music gains on its, say, "commentary" level of meaning.

This reminds me of another artist known as JacobTV who does something similar. His music is mostly instrumental with kind prerecorded and mixed multimedia that backs it up. The best example I can think of is Body of your Dreams, which uses samples from some exercise infomercial.

What is it about Oneohtri's sampling or technique that you find most interesting?
felhound275 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
FtriangleR
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by felhound275 View Post
In reading up on Oneohtrix Point Never, I came across an article discussing his use of sample form old tv commercials, something I think is great because of the additional content the music gains on its, say, "commentary" level of meaning.

This reminds me of another artist known as JacobTV who does something similar. His music is mostly instrumental with kind prerecorded and mixed multimedia that backs it up. The best example I can think of is Body of your Dreams, which uses samples from some exercise infomercial.

What is it about Oneohtri's sampling or technique that you find most interesting?
Just the way it's implemented. Upon first listen I couldn't even tell it was commercial samples, yet in some songs it's more apparent (like Sleep Dealer has the 'aah' after a pepsi drink in a commercial), but I've never heard somebody combine such warm synths and construct such crazy noises. Honestly what really blew my mind was the song Replica itself. His atmosphere's in song, especially that one, are what get me every time.
Old 16-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Wardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the rough
Massachusetts
MC Status: 310

His new album leaked and it's absolutely phenomenal. Even though the comparisons to Boards of Canada are wearing thin, I basically consider him and The Advisory Circle to be carrying the torch of hauntological and eerily nostalgic music. The new album is a little more similar to James Ferraro and sounds somewhat more vaporwave than "Replica," which means it's not necessarily as enigmatic, but is still really great.

------------------
Wardruna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
Bo-Ash-Oak
Minor Glitch
Bo-Ash-Oak is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardruna View Post
His new album leaked and it's absolutely phenomenal. Even though the comparisons to Boards of Canada are wearing thin, I basically consider him and The Advisory Circle to be carrying the torch of hauntological and eerily nostalgic music. The new album is a little more similar to James Ferraro and sounds somewhat more vaporwave than "Replica," which means it's not necessarily as enigmatic, but is still really great.
Agree agree agree. Suddenly seemed to be a lot of hype around him recently and thought I'd check him out, glad I did aha Seen some bad reviews for the James Ferraro new one though.............
Bo-Ash-Oak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031441
Thanked 7,280 Times in 4,524 Posts

Had a quick listen after all the Warp/Bleep hype...
not really feeling it although there are some fresh ideas, vocals also put me off.
I'll probably give it another go though.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I like him. I don't get why he's getting a lot of recent attention though, but my main guess is that most of his fans don't listen to new age or drone (cough, Pitchfork!). They think he's doing something totally crazy and different, I'm not so sure about that.

That being said, I love his music, and I especially love A Pact Between Strangers, Betrayed In The Octagon, and Returnal. Those three albums are some of the best new age albums out there. His new stuff has been a little off, though.

The noise track that opens Returnal is so fantastic that I wish he would just make a noise album. By the looks of that, he might lose his street cred if he ever did
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Bought Rifts, loved it.

Thinking about getting R plus seven soon.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
malte
Minor Glitch
malte is a name known to allmalte is a name known to allmalte is a name known to allmalte is a name known to allmalte is a name known to allmalte is a name known to all
Ruhr-Area
MC Status: 610

I think he's a great artist and have made great albums even though I dont listen to many of his songs, but some of them really get me..
Also he's very unique in his methods of sampling and using synthesizers, he really has his own style, which is not easy at all.
Many of his songs are too pure ambient for me. I really like his stuff with more rhythm like Sleep Dealer, Replica, Returnal and from the new Album Cryo and Chrome Country.
Also the whole Aesthetic of the artworks are great.
Oh, and the eccojam things he did are amazing too. Isn't he somehow the inventer of this eccojam thing?
malte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
FauxEffet
Analog Lurker
FauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

XXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by FauxEffet; 17-10-2014 at 12:11 PM..
FauxEffet is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #13
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740955
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,627 Posts

I don't think much of Oneohtrix Point Never's older material, but "R Plus Seven" is very special.

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #14
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Minion View Post
I don't think much of Oneohtrix Point Never's older material, but "R Plus Seven" is very special.
R Plus Seven is probably the one that's starting to divide a lot of people. Every once in a while I really try my hardest to get into it. One day it will click for me, I'm sure. Since I'm so much less familiar with that album, what's the best track?
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031441
Thanked 7,280 Times in 4,524 Posts

This is probably my fav.

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740955
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
R Plus Seven is probably the one that's starting to divide a lot of people. Every once in a while I really try my hardest to get into it. One day it will click for me, I'm sure. Since I'm so much less familiar with that album, what's the best track?
I like "Along", but I wouldn't say it's the most unique track on the album, or the one that embodies the style of the album the best.

"Inside World" and "Still Life" sum up the style of the album nicely IMO.

There is a lot about this album that sounds very unique to me. And it has gone into my "I can't find anything else that sounds like these gems" pile.

Last edited by Cypherclerk; 16-12-2013 at 12:43 AM..

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #17
DWNGRD
Regular Freak
DWNGRD is currently spamming hard

R Plus 7 was pretty magical. I also really like the art direction he went with for the music videos and album art. All really obscure pop culture references.

Quote:
I like him. I don't get why he's getting a lot of recent attention though, but my main guess is that most of his fans don't listen to new age or drone (cough, Pitchfork!). They think he's doing something totally crazy and different, I'm not so sure about that.

That being said, I love his music, and I especially love A Pact Between Strangers, Betrayed In The Octagon, and Returnal. Those three albums are some of the best new age albums out there. His new stuff has been a little off, though.

The noise track that opens Returnal is so fantastic that I wish he would just make a noise album. By the looks of that, he might lose his street cred if he ever did
Might be a bit late, but OPN's older cassette stuff, as well as his Dania Shapes project, certainly falls under noise. Hollyr is very very "noisy", though perhaps not in the Merzbow way.
DWNGRD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #18
SubVersion
Minor Glitch
SubVersion is a jewel in the roughSubVersion is a jewel in the roughSubVersion is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Just got "R Plus Seven" from eMusic. I thought "Replica" was iffy but "Returnal" was really good. Liked the art piece discussion in The Wire #358 about R Plus.
SubVersion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:10 AM   #19
carrot-rope
Minor Glitch
carrot-rope is just really nicecarrot-rope is just really nicecarrot-rope is just really nicecarrot-rope is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I saw OPN live last night, very intense. Lots of chest-rattling sub-bass and bursts of noise, not at all what I expected. He played reworked versions of Still Life, Boring Angel, Russian Mind and Chrome Country. The performance was great but the mix was way too loud and bass-heavy for me, my hearing was numb about halfway through. Maybe just personal preference though, most of the crowd seemed to love it.

Nate Boyce was there controlling the visuals. A lot of the imagery was similar to the Still Life excerpt video. He seemed to be using Pure Data.
carrot-rope is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #20
a-balance
Regular Freak
a-balance is currently spamming hard

Just had a listen to R+7 for the first time in a few months. Such a great album.
It was one of my favourites last year, and still sounds so fresh. Very much looking forward to what direction he takes next. Seems to evolve with every release.

Advertisements

a-balance is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: SD Laika - That´s harakiri