Coil: Musick To Play In The Dark volumes 1 and 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 24-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
Darth Bathory
Regular Freak
Darth Bathory is a jewel in the roughDarth Bathory is a jewel in the roughDarth Bathory is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Coil: Musick To Play In The Dark volumes 1 and 2

From a few other threads I've been reading, it'd seem that there a few Coil fans around here - which of course is only right, given how damn fine (not to mention varied, groundbreaking - insert superlative or adjective here) their music is. I've always thought that their career post-Love's Secret Domain gets a little overlooked, and particularly the two albums I mention in the title of this thread, which are absolute favourites of mine.

Curious to see what you folks make of them - I always think of them (and play them) together, like a double album, given their uniformity of sound and tone. I always like Coil better as an ambient band, and these two icily elegant albums showcase their ambient sounds just as well as their song-writing craft; like the very best atmospheric music, they do evoke a certain feel (a late-night intimacy, I've always found), and once I felt that tone, it kind of determined how I approached those albums from that point on: to be listened to late at night only, alone, usually only in autumn or winter (although that maybe the album artwork talking!) - yes, they evoke that specific a response in me.

Anyways, I think they stand up as well as any of the albums Coil are more renowned for (Scatology, Horse Rotorvator, Love's Secret Domain), albeit for different reasons - but like I said, I'm curious to see what you folks make of them.

PS: Mods, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place - I am still (as it says near my graduation photo) learning the ropes. Please move elsewhere, if that's where it ought to be.

Advertisements

Darth Bathory is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Byla/Jarboe: Viscera
Thanks to Darth Bathory
professurreal (25-06-2014)
Old 25-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
a-balance
Regular Freak
a-balance is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Coil: Musick To Play In The Dark volumes 1 and 2

The "Music to play in the dark" records are absolute masterpieces.
Coil has to be one of the most underrated bands ever. They have inspired so many artists, and their sampling works was way ahead of its time. John Balance and Sleazy is sorely missed in the world of music and art.
a-balance is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59310
Thanked 1,186 Times in 789 Posts

Hey thanks for pointing that out. Onl ever really listened to Love's Secret Domain years ago but never checked out anything else from Coil. Right now I'm listening to both volumes of Musick to play in the dark on youtube and tehy are pretty awesome!

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
a-balance
Regular Freak
a-balance is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Check out their album "astral disaster" as well. Pure ambient and very good.
a-balance is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280999
Thanked 1,169 Times in 751 Posts

I prefer vol. 1 to vol. 2, but they are definitely both fantastic.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
AstralDisaster
Regular Freak
AstralDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightAstralDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightAstralDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightAstralDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightAstralDisaster is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 464

'Tiny Golden Books' sends shivers down mine spine whenever I play it, I am also a big fan of 'The Sea Priestess'. My first purchase was in the 80's and was Panic on 12" red vinyl, I have to say I have enjoyed each 'phase' they have occupied. I can't rate them highly enough.

Advertisements

AstralDisaster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Simple Minds - Theme for Great Cities