Ultimae Records - Searching for Similar Music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 14-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
Dissonance
Regular Freak
Dissonance has a spectacular aura aboutDissonance has a spectacular aura about
USA
MC Status: 160
Icon5 Ultimae Records - Searching for Similar Music

Hello! This is my first post and one of the main reasons I registered was in hopes that someone would have some suggestions for similar artists to those on Ultimae Records. For those who do not know what sort of artists are on this label (which I doubt is many considering they are one of the leading labels in the Downtempo/Psybient/Space Ambient type music), let me list some of my favorites:

- Aes Dana (a.k.a. Vincent Villuis. Co-Owner of Ultimae records who has mastered records for
most artists on Ultimae and MANY more. One of the founding members of Asura.)
- Asura (Not a big fan of their release "Lost Eden" but love everything else)
- Solar Fields (except really trancy stuff like 'Earthshine')
- Carbon Based Lifeforms (Love CBL, including Hydroponic Garden, World of Sleepers,
Interloper, and occasionally even their latest work - "Twentythree"
though it CAN be TOO ambient for me at times)
- H.U.V.A. Network (actually a collaboration between Aes Dana and Solar Fields but creators of
my favorite Ultimae album to date - 'Ephemeris' including the track that got
me into this genre, 'Something Heavens')
- Cell (Debut Album 'Hanging Masses' is all he's released save a couple of easy to find live sets
that are extremely impressive).
- SYNC24
- Hol Baumann
- Miktek (Just released debut album 'Elsewhere.')
- Scann-Tec
- Circular
- Cygna
- I Awake
- Connect.Ohm
- James Murray

Outside of Ultimae I like (though most have contributed to various releases in the past):

- Chronos - When Venus Meets Mars/Mars Meets Venus
- Ra - Unearthly
- Robert Rich - (Some of his stuff, but honestly I'm more into more modern artists in this
genre)
- Steve Roach
- Lustmord - (Same goes for Steve Roach & Lustmord, like the music but personally I am
looking for music to relax too. Music that takes me away and isn't too busy or too
vacant. Dark ambient is not really what I am looking for currently)
- Alpha Wave Movement - (Some of their stuff is too 'busy' for me)
- Saafi Brothers - (Great album from them "Mystic Cigarettes." Sounds cheesy, actually good)
- Shulman - (Certainly not everything, but I enjoy 'Soundscapes and Modern Tales' among
others)

Anyways, hopefully that gives an idea of what I like and am looking to find more of. I like artists like Shpongle, Entheogenic, Phutureprimitive, and Bluetech but not for trying to relax and drift off to a different place. Shpongle is better with a little herbal or psychedelic snack. I'm looking for music that can get me there without relying on ingesting something to get the experience I want. Not that I'm against the occasional "musical accessory" now and then.

Anyways, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisements

Dissonance is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dissonance
professurreal (14-06-2013)
Old 14-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 571101
Re: Ultimae Records - Searching for Similar Music

try Interchill records

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59310
Thanked 1,186 Times in 789 Posts

Nice thread! Also interested

/subscribed

edit: Also try Paul Schütze and Robert Henke. Not his Monolake releases but the ones under his real name. They are mostly beatless drone pieces that are quite relaxing.
I especially like the album "Signal to Noise"

Last edited by professurreal; 14-06-2013 at 08:37 AM..

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65294446

Try these 4 on Aleph Zero Records:

Krusseldorf - From Soil to Space
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Vataff Project - Kalitz

Fredrik Ohr - Falling through the Earth

Eitan Reiter - Places I Miss That I Haven't Been To

Also on Hadra Records try this one: Sysyphe - Running Up that Hill

You can still get a copy on some shops I believe.

On n5MD try this: Aerosol - Airborne

On Cocoon Recordings try Minilogue - Blomma

It's a double album, CD 2 is the ambient side.

Another great release from this year is Vincent I. Watson - Serene (Pyramids of Mars)

And indeed, as slugware mentioned, there's some good stuff on Interchill as well.

Last edited by Orchidaceae; 14-06-2013 at 08:39 AM..
Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC

Oh. .. and try this as well: Lars Leonhard + Alvina Red - Seasons - Les Quatre Saisons (BineMusic)

Old 14-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Dissonance
Regular Freak
USA

Working my way through all of your suggestions and so far so good.

Quote:
professurreal edit: Also try Paul Schütze and Robert Henke. Not his Monolake releases but the ones under his real name. They are mostly beatless drone pieces that are quite relaxing.
I especially like the album "Signal to Noise"
Loved Robert Henke's "Signal to Noise." Definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for. Also "Layering Buddha" seemed good based on listening to some short samples from each track. Paul Shutze (from what I've sampled so far) may be a bit too dark for what I'm currently looking for, but good all the same.

As far as Interchill records goes I recognize a lot of those artists names from the "Fahrenheit Project" from Ultimae, Specifically Ishq and Liquid Stranger off the top of my head. Great recommendation. (By the way, anyone who hasn't listened to the "Fahrenheit Project" compilation series is missing out on some utterly brilliant music by artists from all over the electronic spectrum though each album in the series is set to a certain tone and I can't say that any of the 7 releases in the series were a disappointment. Just had to throw that out there! If you like the stuff I listed in the OP you will love those compilations).

To Orchidaceae - I'm actually slowly moving through your list as we speak and I have to say I'm impressed thus far. Vataff Project - "Kalitz" is exactly the type of thing I've been hoping to find. Almost finished listening to the album now. Definitely going to buy this one.

Thank you again everyone! Feel free to keep them coming, lots of hits and little to no misses so far.

Last edited by Dissonance; 15-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Fahrenheit Project, to specify.
Currently Listening To: Aes Dana - Leylines
Old 14-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post

To Orchidaceae - I'm actually slowly moving through your list as we speak and I have to say I'm impressed thus far. Vataff Project - "Kalitz" is exactly the type of thing I've been hoping to find. Almost finished listening to the album now. Definitely going to buy this one.

Yep, "Kalitz" is a real gem. . . glad I could help.

I'm an Ultimae fan myself, so I kinda knew what you were talking about more or less. . .

Try this one as well: Ocoeur - Light as a Feather (n5MD)

Last edited by Orchidaceae; 20-06-2015 at 04:41 PM..
Old 15-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Dissonance
Regular Freak
USA

Just a suggestion to others like myself that are looking for the same kind of music that Ultimae is known for, I've found a lot of interesting stuff just searching through their website's "shop" area. It lists every release from Ultimae and then lists similar record labels from A-Z, many of which I would have never found otherwise. Also, many of the albums in the (quite extensive) list including the non-ultimae labels were produced by Vincent Villuis (Aes Dana, co-owner of Ultimae). I can't post links yet (apparently need 30 posts) but it's easy to find. Bottom right corner of the Ultimae news page.

By the way, has anyone come across any quality live sets from Ultimae artists or actual entire concerts/"Ultimae Sessions." I have the live H.U.V.A. Network album and the three "Nuit Hypnotique" live releases for Circular, Hol Baumann, and Scann-Tec released by Ultimae, but as far as bootleg stuff goes I've only managed to find a couple of Aes Dana sets and one set by Hol Baumann. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case someone has found a hidden gem or two out there.
Old 15-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59310
Thanked 1,186 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Working my way through all of your suggestions and so far so good.

Loved Robert Henke's "Signal to Noise." Definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for. Also "Layering Buddha" seemed good based on listening to some short samples from each track.
Yeah Layering Buddha is pretty good too Glad you like it.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Dissonance
Regular Freak
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidaceae View Post
Yep, "Kalitz" is a real gem. . . glad I could help.

I'm an Ultimae fan myself, so I kinda knew what you are talking about more or less. . .

Try this one as well: Ocoeur - Light as a Feather (n5MD)

I checked out Ocoeur and really enjoyed it, I appreciate the suggestion and am open to hearing more.

Some other albums (not necessarily new stuff) I've discovered over the the past couple of weeks that I really have liked are:

Ra - Unearthly
The Icarus Foray - Immersion Theory
Bluetech & Shulman - Random Thoughts
Craig Padilla - Beyond the Portal
Robert Rich - Somnium
Robert Rich & Steve Roach - Strata

I've also been checking out a lot of compilations in the ambient/downbeat genres. Here are some that really stuck out, aside from the Ultimae compilations like Oxycanta, Ambrosia, Greenosophy, Albedo, & Oxycanta Winter Blooms.

VA - Portal of Perceptions
VA - Imaginary Friends
VA - Special Places
VA - Vital Signs

Seems like things have come to a halt in this thread, but I know there has to be more out there so I'll ask a pretty broad question in an attempt to start things up:

What are some classic ambient/psybient/chill/downtempo/etc. albums from the past? Some "must have" type of stuff. An obvious example would be Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works, but I'm interested to hear what albums in this genre of music are true classics.

A couple more from me would be Steve Roach - Structures From Silence & Dreamtime Return.

Looking forward to hearing anyone else's opinions.
Currently Listening To: Solar Fields - Origin #02
Old 23-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #11
youtubeDJ
Regular Freak
youtubeDJ is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Bluetech, Yimino, Geche, Synaesthetik. I'm actually hosting a live event with all these guys on the 28th of June. Come stop by!
youtubeDJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
Dissonance
Regular Freak
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtubeDJ View Post
Bluetech, Yimino, Geche, Synaesthetik. I'm actually hosting a live event with all these guys on the 28th of June. Come stop by!
Great, sounds good. Love bluetech already (including the stuff under evan bartholomew), will have to check out the others!

Advertisements