Panning in Electronic Music - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 14-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #21
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319
Re: Panning in Electronic Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRR View Post
Just realised I'm being stupid - I thought I was working with a mono track but it was actually stereo. Of course L + R = stereo centre.
the idea of double tracking is to record two different versions of the track, then layer them over each other. sounds to me like you used the same track on both channels.
if you only have the one take and cant record another you could apply some effects to either one or both sides to create some subtle changes.
some very small pitch changes would be a great place to start

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 06:23 AM   #22
DRR
Minor Glitch
DRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to behold
Derbyshire
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
the idea of double tracking is to record two different versions of the track, then layer them over each other. sounds to me like you used the same track on both channels.
if you only have the one take and cant record another you could apply some effects to either one or both sides to create some subtle changes.
some very small pitch changes would be a great place to start
That's really useful, thanks. In fact I was just seeing if it worked before I tried to apply it. I've got quite a few vocal takes, so I'll try experimenting.
DRR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #23
ATvrB
Minor Glitch
ATvrB is currently spamming hard
Living in Denmark
MC Status: 10

I personally use slight panning on drums to unclutter the mix, automation on pannings on some background elements like FX and pads, synths to create movement.

Feel that I should explore panning way more, looking forward for suggestions
ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #24
ATvrB
Minor Glitch
ATvrB is currently spamming hard
Living in Denmark
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterTheMurk View Post
Sub bass dead center, bass line slightly stereo panned to give it some width (the extent varies greatly. Too wide and it loses impact, too mono and it loses texture). I also like to keep my kick mono, snare slightly stereo panned again, and then I pan different cymbals left and right.

Reading over that I realise I'm not very good at explaining things haha
Do you make all the spectrum of the baseline panned or just mid/highs?

Listened to an Audio engineer saying that <200,250 Hz should be in mono for club music
ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #25
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11474454

To pan or not to pan.

I try to pan everything (not bass so much tho, unless I want some really lobsided balance).

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #26
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4160

Screw normal panning if you ask me.

Advertisements

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to -Agu-
I/O_Madness (21-05-2017)