Panning in Electronic Music - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 14-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #21
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18026369
Re: Panning in Electronic Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRR View Post
Just realised I'm being stupid - I thought I was working with a mono track but it was actually stereo. Of course L + R = stereo centre.
the idea of double tracking is to record two different versions of the track, then layer them over each other. sounds to me like you used the same track on both channels.
if you only have the one take and cant record another you could apply some effects to either one or both sides to create some subtle changes.
some very small pitch changes would be a great place to start

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #22
DRR
Minor Glitch
DRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to behold
Derbyshire
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
the idea of double tracking is to record two different versions of the track, then layer them over each other. sounds to me like you used the same track on both channels.
if you only have the one take and cant record another you could apply some effects to either one or both sides to create some subtle changes.
some very small pitch changes would be a great place to start
That's really useful, thanks. In fact I was just seeing if it worked before I tried to apply it. I've got quite a few vocal takes, so I'll try experimenting.
DRR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #23
ATvrB
Granular Poster
ATvrB is currently spamming hard
Living in Denmark
MC Status: 10

I personally use slight panning on drums to unclutter the mix, automation on pannings on some background elements like FX and pads, synths to create movement.

Feel that I should explore panning way more, looking forward for suggestions
ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #24
ATvrB
Granular Poster
ATvrB is currently spamming hard
Living in Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterTheMurk View Post
Sub bass dead center, bass line slightly stereo panned to give it some width (the extent varies greatly. Too wide and it loses impact, too mono and it loses texture). I also like to keep my kick mono, snare slightly stereo panned again, and then I pan different cymbals left and right.

Reading over that I realise I'm not very good at explaining things haha
Do you make all the spectrum of the baseline panned or just mid/highs?

Listened to an Audio engineer saying that <200,250 Hz should be in mono for club music
ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #25
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11484354

To pan or not to pan.

I try to pan everything (not bass so much tho, unless I want some really lobsided balance).

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #26
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6110

Screw normal panning if you ask me.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to -Agu-
I/O_Madness (21-05-2017)
Old 15-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #27
nspirit
IDMf's latest spammer
nspirit is currently spamming hard

Kick and bass in center or really slithly widen up by imager (ozone) , for guitar double tracking and than panned. synths fx pads should go into stereo, but i always check how does it sound in mono mix.
nspirit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #28
FTD
IDMf Artist
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3464855

I frequently get told off by the person that does my mastering for panning too heavily to the left or right. As if my stuff gets played in clubs anyway!

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #29
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 62410
Thanked 1,248 Times in 918 Posts

All my synths are mono. So, what button now?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #30
devils_avocado
Minor Glitch
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Panning is one of the few things I love to automate completely when I use it. And I don't think there's anything wrong with having some mono stuff in the center.

I am not too familar with audio engineers that do the mastering, but are they able to do a lot of panning themselves?

If so, maybe your music is said to be heavily panned because the person who does the mastering for you expects to handle some of the panning themselves and it's hard to do so if it's already been panned by you a lot?

I wonder if there are any artists out there who literally produce their whole song in mono and then someone else masters the panning for them.

My music isn't good enough to have anyone master it for me yet I think. So I don't know much
devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 12:37 AM   #31
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 25260

I do mastering, and you really shouldn't be doing panning in mastering. By the time I get tracks, they should just be as ready as you can get them for release (with a few caveats, but mostly try to give me a finished product). You don't get in there and re-pan a finished song. I only do minute adjustments to the width of the soundstage (usually to narrow/mono it out for extra punch). There's stem mastering, which would make panning possible in the mastering phase, but I don't subscribe to that school of thought, I feel that's the mixing realm.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
devils_avocado (22-03-2018)
Old 22-03-2018, 01:26 AM   #32
devils_avocado
Minor Glitch
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I do mastering, and you really shouldn't be doing panning in mastering. By the time I get tracks, they should just be as ready as you can get them for release (with a few caveats, but mostly try to give me a finished product). You don't get in there and re-pan a finished song. I only do minute adjustments to the width of the soundstage (usually to narrow/mono it out for extra punch). There's stem mastering, which would make panning possible in the mastering phase, but I don't subscribe to that school of thought, I feel that's the mixing realm.
Cheers. I make music but I have no idea what I'm doing. And it shows. Lol.
devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 05:45 AM   #33
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 25260

No worries, most people don't "get" mastering. I just wanted to say that by that point, a track shouldn't need panning anymore.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
devils_avocado (22-03-2018)
Old 22-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #34
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 8610

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 12:46 AM   #35
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18026369

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
All my synths are mono. So, what button now?
pan them to 11

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
liquid_air (24-03-2018)
Old 13-04-2018, 03:30 AM   #36
beigeboxgone
Minor Glitch
beigeboxgone is a jewel in the roughbeigeboxgone is a jewel in the roughbeigeboxgone is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

There is a few tricks I do for panning. You can't just copy a track and pan the same mono track left and right because it will just sum to the relative center. Ideally you want two different takes / recordings of a given performance to add panning width. Mono is best for these takes so you don't crowd the mix. Because the goal is adding width without taking up central space. If you want central width then maybe panning is not the right thing, unless you keep it to small amounts. Use a vectorscope for watching your width and changes.

1. Using different recording takes keeps it from cancelling / summing back to the center. Mono is easier for panning / mixing.

2. If you don't have different takes:
--Copy the same take
--Move the timing on the grid slightly for one of them so they are offset
--Process one of them with saturation or both with different types of saturation (experiment with other FX)
--And/Or--I have had better luck with putting both copies through convolution reverb using very small "rooms" or very transparent sounding impulses. Make sure each copy goes through different convolution / impulse but similar enough to not sound strange. Make sure that it comes out mono if not try collapsing it with another plugin. Not sure how all convolution plugins work so I can't say a lot on that but keep it mono.
--After that pan them to taste and you should get width.
--Experiment and use a vectorscope + ears

3. I have noticed that a lot of producers are using other widening / panning effects when remaking some tracks lately. Regular panning is essentially volume. Check out a plugin called Panpot by goodhertz. It is probably the easiest thing I have ever seen for having many panning types in the same plugin and you can even blend them together. It is beautiful. Some of the other panning types like Haas can create some very interesting results.

4. Keep things subtle. I have definitely stepped into the hole of going super wide just because I could. It really depends on the music and your style. I think a really good use of extreme panning is done on the Air album Talkie Walkie. Creative and very spacious / wide. The softness of the tracks makes this seem less awkward. Another note on this is elements on the sides should be literally side elements, you are okay with them if they do accidentally disappear say if the get phased out or if someone only has a Right speaker. But avoiding going too wide and the sides being very different also keeps that in check.

My two cents

Last edited by beigeboxgone; 13-04-2018 at 03:48 AM..

Advertisements

beigeboxgone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote