Hardware "One Box" Challenge - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #41
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541180
Thanked 7,005 Times in 4,978 Posts
Re: Hardware "One Box" Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozo Tull View Post
They are the only boxes I own :3 well the moog is on his way ...

Actually now that I think of it I might be disqualified because I intended to write stuff only using sounds from these things but arranging them in a computer, or using a sequencer with the werkstatt + looper. MicroG + looper as well was my thoughts.

I don't own any production station which would allow me to pump a track all ITB monomachine-like so these were my options, and now like a silly child I realise I might have misunderstood the point of this thing all along :3
I don't want you to be chased away. Now that we've at least established this is going to be a hardware only thing, I'm not sure what to do for people that don't have an All-In-One like the Elektron/MPC/Electribe people do.

It may be we do a little bit different project later or open the rules up a bit here. As far as I'm concerned there is no rush. I think letting someone with a setup like yours feed the MicroGranny sounds from the werkstatt and doing overdubs in your DAW would be fine. Something like this could apply to Purplefish as well.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #42
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410

I think being strict about it and really sticking with one single box is the best part. Sure, some gear has way more options than others, but it's not a competition, it's just about exploring and having fun. Only exception I would make is to allow sequencers/controllers/keyboards for boxes that don't have any other way of being actuated, like expanders/sound modules.

------------------
my drawings/music/videos/stuff: http://www.floodcomics.com/
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to purplefish
relic (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #43
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefish View Post
I think being strict about it and really sticking with one single box is the best part. Sure, some gear has way more options than others, but it's not a competition, it's just about exploring and having fun. Only exception I would make is to allow sequencers/controllers/keyboards for boxes that don't have any other way of being actuated, like expanders/sound modules.
That's cool if you want to apply that strictness to yourself. And yea...I really think everyone should be allowed a sequencer or keyboard if needed. And I think if you can only make your one box make one sound at a time, overdubs are probably needed. Unfortunately I'd have to say arranging loops in a DAW is probably out.

So far we have just some simple rules:

Choose 1 noise making, noise manipulating box.

The whole song has to come from that box.

Overdubs are OK for those with less capable All In One machines. (I think we can leave this a bit open and handle it on a case by case basis. So far Chozo and Purplefish are the only ones who might need a special consideration here).

Last edited by relic; 05-09-2016 at 08:15 PM..

------------------
Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #44
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

For the MG I do like the original sounds fed on the card, I have a copy on that, so it would just be MG + sequencing / looper

The way i understood the challenge was use one instrument, so I wouldn't sample a synth with the MG, but I do consider the MG an instrument with its limitations when fed with a specific soundset like the Bastl one. That is how I would suggest sampler people could do it : stick to one set of samples. But then again that's just my ethos !

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #45
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozo Tull View Post
For the MG I do like the original sounds fed on the card, I have a copy on that, so it would just be MG + sequencing / looper

The way i understood the challenge was use one instrument, so I wouldn't sample a synth with the MG, but I do consider the MG an instrument with its limitations when fed with a specific soundset like the Bastl one. That is how I would suggest sampler people could do it : stick to one set of samples. But then again that's just my ethos !
I have no problem with that approach at all if that is what you want to do. I think it becomes a bit more complex when someone has an Octatrack. What defines a sample set with that is much broader.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and Chozo if you feel like getting started I think you two have come up with a good set of limitations for yourselves. I can continue the conversation with these other cats when they have some free time to respond : )

Maybe everyone should have some kind of draft posted in the next 2-3 weeks? I'm very focused on process so I think it would be cool if we could all hear versions leading up to the final.

------------------
Thanks to relic
purplefish (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #46
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410

Mmmh... delicious special consideration...

I'm gonna try my best the strict way and see how far I can get. So far I'm thinking my best options are the PO-12, since you can really jam out a proper techno set on that little guy like it was nothing, or going into proper song-writer mode and playing a written composition on one of the synths.

------------------
my drawings/music/videos/stuff: http://www.floodcomics.com/
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to purplefish
relic (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #47
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefish View Post
Mmmh... delicious special consideration...

I'm gonna try my best the strict way and see how far I can get. So far I'm thinking my best options are the PO-12, since you can really jam out a proper techno set on that little guy like it was nothing, or going into proper song-writer mode and playing a written composition on one of the synths.
Go for it!

------------------
Thanks to relic
purplefish (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #48
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26360
Re: "One Box" Challenge/Compliation/Relic's Crazed Rantings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I get your point, I was just trying to get some more structure rather than a simple "do what you want".

In case you haven't seen this, for writing a whole song on the Octa, see this, part 1 of 4:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Yeah, I have seen that, and am taking some pointers. Although stylistically my track is gearing up to be quite different and weirder!

, I hear ya on not wanting to dictate too much but I think this is sounding cool! All hardware, with self imposed rules, kept simple.
Again I should be posting something up here by maybe next week!? This is kinda fun!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #49
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Re: "One Box" Challenge/Compliation/Relic's Crazed Rantings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Yeah, I have seen that, and am taking some pointers. Although stylistically my track is gearing up to be quite different and weirder!

, I hear ya on not wanting to dictate too much but I think this is sounding cool! All hardware, with self imposed rules, kept simple.
Again I should be posting something up here by maybe next week!? This is kinda fun!
So what are your limitations?

------------------
Old 05-09-2016, 09:32 PM   #50
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

7 tracks in the octatrack
Which with everything possible isn't really much of a limitation, so only 15 samples I made myself as well.
Works?

------------------
Old 05-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #51
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
7 tracks in the octatrack
Which with everything possible isn't really much of a limitation, so only 15 samples I made myself as well.
Works?
No issues at all! I was just curious : )

------------------
Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 PM   #52
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts

I'm really shitfaced right now, but I gotta say... If you're using an Octatrack you're just in a class of your own. Seriously, I can sample my Avalon, my Rytm, even using sample chains. It's just not fair.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #53
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I'm really shitfaced right now, but I gotta say... If you're using an Octatrack you're just in a class of your own. Seriously, I can sample my Avalon, my Rytm, even using sample chains. It's just not fair.
Pretty much if anyone owns one of the Dark Trinity puts them in a league of their own. With sound locks on the A4 and pattern chains/song mode or just doing it live, it almost makes the four voice limit irrelevant.

Bought to have a beer and a bong and jam a little myself...since the weed whacker is out of that plastic cord stuff and I broke the pull cord on the mower...fuck off yard work, its music time...

------------------
Old 05-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #54
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Well my ineptitude with the octatrack will make up for it then!

Edit: what's these sample chains?

------------------
Old 06-09-2016, 02:11 AM   #55
Cat3
Deep Underground
Cat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MC
MC Status: 13439

putting the best (imo) ideas together: just one hardware sound source. no samples, as this would open to infinte sound sources (e.g. I have 40 gb of samples on my mpc). synths only, or samplers loaded with syngle cycles waveforms. computer could be used to track, not sequence, with just 1 eq and 1 compressor allowed on each track. all other fx are permitted just if they come from the hardware box used. could work?
Cat3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:53 AM   #56
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
Well my ineptitude with the octatrack will make up for it then!

Edit: what's these sample chains?
lol!

Sample chains is sampling a whole bunch of sounds into a single sample with the intent of slicing it up and thus having a whole kit, for example, available on a single track. With sample lock it;s (almost) redundant.

Ive been playing with the Rytm all labor day weekend and I'll be damned, but what I ended up with sounds a lot like some balearic wanker kind of patio house. The kind that I actually dig. Custom 303 baseline (sampled from the Avalon) and some choice vocal sample(s.

I feel like such a sellout.

------------------

Old 06-09-2016, 02:54 AM   #57
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

How about we keep it simple? One box only. No other limits.

------------------

Old 06-09-2016, 03:21 AM   #58
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
lol!

Sample chains is sampling a whole bunch of sounds into a single sample with the intent of slicing it up and thus having a whole kit, for example, available on a single track. With sample lock it;s (almost) redundant.

Ive been playing with the Rytm all labor day weekend and I'll be damned, but what I ended up with sounds a lot like some balearic wanker kind of patio house. The kind that I actually dig. Custom 303 baseline (sampled from the Avalon) and some choice vocal sample(s.

balearic wanker patio house

Im down for doing a whole album of that w anyone...open invitation. ..

------------------
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:34 AM   #59
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Im seriously not joking. Id love to make a wanky house record. Ive got more than few a capella vinyls for house music...bootleg city... lets put this one on the back burner

------------------
Old 06-09-2016, 03:48 AM   #60
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
lol!

So you would make those yourself?

Advertisements

------------------