Hardware "One Box" Challenge - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960
Re: "One Box" Challenge/Compliation/Relic's Crazed Rantings

^ yeah it feels like "one box" feels like "one instrument" ie one main synth or sound source and go on from there ...

Was it here that a guy posted a small EP all done with a sub phatty ? Years ago ...

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Chozo Tull
A.M (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #22
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 175560
Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozo Tull View Post
^ yeah it feels like "one box" feels like "one instrument" ie one main synth or sound source and go on from there ...

Was it here that a guy posted a small EP all done with a sub phatty ? Years ago ...
Not sure about that, but it wouldn't surprise me at all, given the level of talent that haunt this place.

Also, I'm not too sure about not being able to use FX..I think we should be allowed to use at least one..or even up to three, as well as the original source sound, otherwise we'll end up with a lot of "flat" tracks, even when you allow for stacking, panning and gain play.

Example: Source sound..Reverb..EQ..Compression

The extra 3 could be any FX, but my point is we would still have to use just the one sound for everything..the FX just added to the creative side of things and should make the end results a better listening experience for anyone who checks them out later.

Last edited by A.M; 05-09-2016 at 02:33 PM..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Chozo Tull (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #23
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269459108
Thanked 2,710 Times in 1,811 Posts

I would personally keep the 2 things separated as throwing computers in the mix cause just more questions/problems.

1 project using 1 hardware instrument only; 1 using 1 software instrument only (to which some smartass will reply "by Live/Logic/Reaktor is my instrument!)

I'm not discussing on the Computer guidelines, but for the hardware one box, if you use a sampler and create lots of loops from other synths then run your samples through an effect box to resample them you're pretty much using more than one box, 1 means 1, so in case of samplers, single cycle waveforms maybe?

To be honest though, why don't we keep this real simple and make it just a whole song recorded, edited, composed on hardware, only the final recording goes to a computer, and that is NOT for stems mixing, just eventual compression/mastering.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #24
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris

@ AM yes that's what I meant, one source for the meat and potatoes of the track and allowing fx on top

------------------
Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #25
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

So the computer thing came from a hardly even funny at all "joke" I cracked in the hardware thread about my computer being box shaped when relic suggested a "one box challenge." In an effort to be all inclusive he added the option of using a computer here. So there's that.

I understand this is a community project and as such the community at large does get input. But I think deadlines and rules takes away from the original idea which was essentially - make a jam on a box and post it. There is a certain spirit here that isn't captured once all kinds of crazy rules and deadlines are set in place. Yes there was talk of an EP mentioned in the OP. I think however that was more of an afterthought almost and not nearly as important as trying to capture the freedom of just jamming out without worry, putting something together, posting the result and talking about it.

Rules, guidelines, and due dates, in my opinion take away from that and turn the original idea into something else entirely, which probably wouldn't have happened had I not been bored-posting and cracked a joke about the shape of my laptop.

Not saying disallow computers here just sharing my two cents on where this is going in an effort to not lose the original idea.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #26
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260
Icon5 Re: "One Box" Challenge/Compliation/Relic's Crazed Rantings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I would personally keep the 2 things separated as throwing computers in the mix cause just more questions/problems.

1 project using 1 hardware instrument only; 1 using 1 software instrument only (to which some smartass will reply "by Live/Logic/Reaktor is my instrument!)

I'm not discussing on the Computer guidelines, but for the hardware one box, if you use a sampler and create lots of loops from other synths then run your samples through an effect box to resample them you're pretty much using more than one box, 1 means 1, so in case of samplers, single cycle waveforms maybe?

To be honest though, why don't we keep this real simple and make it just a whole song recorded, edited, composed on hardware, only the final recording goes to a computer, and that is NOT for stems mixing, just eventual compression/mastering.
Sorry, I don't really think that makes a lot of sense, I am using the octatrack from a blank project, ie no sounds.
So I made and sampled all my sound sources, using iPad, MPC and guitar.
I guess partly because I am learning the octatrack.
So if this is a discussion others are having I will say what my idea is.
All octatrack, again to learn it, from scratch sonically (no loops loaded from a library) and arranged semi live.
I think that kinda hits on relics original ideas.
So I got a few loops down again, will be working on this a little more.
Unless anyone else has a better idea I will post on here when done, hopefully before the end of the month.

To,dr I am using octatrack and will share here in a few weeks max.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #27
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
So the computer thing came from a hardly even funny at all "joke" I cracked in the hardware thread about my computer being box shaped when relic suggested a "one box challenge." In an effort to be all inclusive he added the option of using a computer here. So there's that.

I understand this is a community project and as such the community at large does get input. But I think deadlines and rules takes away from the original idea which was essentially - make a jam on a box and post it. There is a certain spirit here that isn't captured once all kinds of crazy rules and deadlines are set in place. Yes there was talk of an EP mentioned in the OP. I think however that was more of an afterthought almost and not nearly as important as trying to capture the freedom of just jamming out without worry, putting something together, posting the result and talking about it.

Rules, guidelines, and due dates, in my opinion take away from that and turn the original idea into something else entirely, which probably wouldn't have happened had I not been bored-posting and cracked a joke about the shape of my laptop.

Not saying disallow computers here just sharing my two cents on where this is going in an effort to not lose the original idea.

Well, RFJ, thanks for the two cents. maybe it will work..maybe it won't. Seems like this is heading towards being a hardware-only project, so I'm stepping away from this and will keep my mouth shut from here on out. There's plenty of chances on here for us software dudes to do stuff..why shouldn't the hardware crew have their own thing going, too!

Best of luck with it to all who end up being a part of this. Looking forward to hearing what you guys come up with.

------------------
Old 05-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #28
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269459108
Thanked 2,710 Times in 1,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Sorry, I don't really think that makes a lot of sense, I am using the octatrack from a blank project, ie no sounds.
So I made and sampled all my sound sources, using iPad, MPC and guitar.
I guess partly because I am learning the octatrack.
So if this is a discussion others are having I will say what my idea is.
All octatrack, again to learn it, from scratch sonically (no loops loaded from a library) and arranged semi live.
I think that kinda hits on relics original ideas.
So I got a few loops down again, will be working on this a little more.
Unless anyone else has a better idea I will post on here when done, hopefully before the end of the month.

To,dr I am using octatrack and will share here in a few weeks max.
I get your point, I was just trying to get some more structure rather than a simple "do what you want".

In case you haven't seen this, for writing a whole song on the Octa, see this, part 1 of 4:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #29
A.M

Very last post on this..just want to suggest you guys change the thread title to something like "Hardware "One Box" Challenge" or something like that, as it will stop a lot of confusion and help keep things on track.

Just an thought..

------------------
Thanks to A.M
jbvdb493 (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #30
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8534130
Thanked 6,864 Times in 4,889 Posts

Thanks everyone. I really didnt intend for this to get to where ever we are at. I wasnt trying to disclude anyone. I also really didnt intend for this to turn into some full blown hardcore thing w rules and deadlines--and I know generally speaking that doesnt work on this forum or in real life for that matter.

Am kind of at a loss for what to do now to be perfectly honest, the more bogged with bureaucracy this gets my interest wanders. Perhaps whoever said seperating a hardware challenge and software might be onto something.

When I first posted in the hardware thread I was really just seeing if a couple folks would hop on the crazy train with me. I didnt mind sharing outside of our little clubhouse at all, but then there was talk of making this an official project for the forum--and if that comes out of this I think its great--I just wasnt really prepared to put in that much time at the moment.

Im not bailing. Im not upset this idea took on a life of its own. But I am really unsure of how to move forward now.

edit. I also didnt want to come in with plans, rules and deadlines as that feels too much like my job and im up to my neck in lesson plans and all that right now.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #31
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Thanks everyone. I really didnt intend for this to get to where ever we are at. I wasnt trying to disclude anyone. I also really didnt intend for this to turn into some full blown hardcore thing w rules and deadlines--and I know generally speaking that doesnt work on this forum or in real life for that matter.

Am kind of at a loss for what to do now to be perfectly honest, the more bogged with bureaucracy this gets my interest wanders. Perhaps whoever said seperating a hardware challenge and software might be onto something.

When I first posted in the hardware thread I was really just seeing if a couple folks would hop on the crazy train with me. I didnt mind sharing outside of our little clubhouse at all, but then there was talk of making this an official project for the forum--and if that comes out of this I think its great--I just wasnt really prepared to put in that much time at the moment.

Im not bailing. Im not upset this idea took on a life of its own. But I am really unsure of how to move forward now.

edit. I also didnt want to come in with plans, rules and deadlines as that feels too much like my job and im up to my neck in lesson plans and all that right now.

Hey, A, I don't see any issue with this at all..it is whatever YOU want it to be, if YOU want it to anything, that is.

As for the whole rules thing, that's you're call dude, if you want to kinda head this up..or not, whichever the case may be.

I still think keeping it a hardware only thing is a good idea, regardless of what I said in my first reply, as there really is a lot of chances on here for those of us who use just software, but there seems to be far less things that's hardware based..and I think we really do need to encourage everyone to get involved on here as much as we can.

I suggest making it an on-going opened ended thing, with no end..kinda like the LB, but for hardware-produced tracks only, using whatever guidelines you want to suggest.."suggest" being the operative word.

So, long story short..this IS a good idea and I think you should keep it hardware only (..nobody's being excluded, trust me! )..so go and do your shit and make us all proud of ya. Looking forward to hearing so really crazy shit at the end of all of this.

------------------
Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #32
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410

"A little less conversation, a little more action"
- Elvis Presley

Ok, it's more than one box, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling. A melancholic, distorted tune - bit on the piercing side somtimes. Admittedly, this is kinda what I always do so not really challenging myself - will push it further in following attempts!
Volca FM > Wahwah > Reverb > KP3 (input overdriven)

------------------
my drawings/music/videos/stuff: http://www.floodcomics.com/
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #33
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026591
Thanked 7,183 Times in 4,470 Posts

Sorry if my input has balls this up for anyone in any way.
RFJ made some good points.

Maybe let's all calm down a bit, back pedal and just go back to doing some tracks for fun.
I think this is an issue this place suffers from a lot tbh.
We try to do fun projects (FAWM for example) and people's interest gradually fades.
Then we try to put together an album and we get a lot of mediocre, rushed crap entered.
I'm not really sure wtf to do with you guys anymore tbh.

Perhaps maybe you guys should just PM each other a bit more, personally invite the guys you think will be interested and get them to do the same.
Then when there's actually some output (basically who cares how you got there? but yeah you could set some wacky rules if it helps) then announce and post the tracks. (oh yeah, a bit like the LB )

Sorry, that sounds super-cunty doesn't it?
It's not meant like that it's just that this thread has basically dissolved into a toddlers argument within two pages.

Someone step up.
Make a track, tell us how you did it, throw down the gauntlet to other people to do the same/similar/better with the same rules set you used and let's see what happens.
You don't all have to use the same rules even.
Whatever.
Gah!

------------------
Giving it one hunder percent.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #34
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

lolirl, no need to apologize really. I'm just being honest instead of getting myself committed to something I can't really commit to at the moment. I don't think you balled anything up. I really thought this would just mostly get ignored as per usual ; p

No lolirl, it isn't super cunty at all. I think there is a lot of truth to what you say and I think we've all been guilty of some, if not all those things. I'd be very willing to have a discussion about your observations about the members here on IDMf at some point and see if there is anything we can do to bring this forum back to more of a "making music vibe" than a "jerking off in the side room" vibe. I'm willing to be as much a part of that as I can!

This was very much in the spirit of just making music for fun--just quickly as a general statement, I'm not against people making the best music possible and I'm not against people trying to "make it"--but what happened to dedicated hobbyists? That is the crowd I'm looking for here--an activity that challenges us, but we don't have to worry about mixing, mastering, promotion. Lets just get down to the music! I was initially trying to keep this smaller and between just a few people who I think would be interested so I'm in agreement there too.

I think the main problem was I wasn't assertive enough and didn't lay down my foot, I invited other people's opinions.

Anyway, I feel like you and I are in a similar place with our views on this forum. I haven't been the best forum member myself, in any regard really. I'm just as likely to gradually wander away as anyone.

I guess my final word is, if its ok with the Mods maybe we could get the title of thread changed to the Hardware "One Box" Challenge and we can go from there. If we get something together worth sharing, we will. It seems to me there are at least five of us (jvb, liquid, Auto, Chozo and myself).

My plan all along and still is to step up and do this. I've already started actually and hope to have a sketch at the least available soon.

----------------------------------------------

As far as the sampler crowd goes guys, I don't have a pony in that race. I think single cycle wave forms are pretty fair and I know there are a couple good packs of 'em about the internet so people don't have to make their own. Otherwise I don't know what to say really.

I think whoever said it had it right generally speaking: the whole process ends up done one box. No multi-tracking. If we get somewhere with these I think a little master bus processing is certainly in order. Live or song-mode, I don't care. I think anyone choosing song mode on a groovebox of any type is choosing to torture themselves lol.

Chozo, you asked about pedals and I think that is out at this point. I'm not sure what your setup situation is, but I'd like to keep this as one box ish as possible.

------------------
Old 05-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #35
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Near Paris

ok cool depending on the timeframe it will be all microgranny (so lo fi drone noise stuff) or all werkstatt then !

------------------
Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #36
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026591
Thanked 7,183 Times in 4,470 Posts

Fuck! accidental reply delete and I've got to run.
Changed the name.
Nice one Relic, feel free to PM me any tome man, I'm all ears.
Same goes for all of you.

Doesn't single cycle waves basically turn a sampler into a synth and cut off it's sampling cajones?
Why do that to members who presumably bought their sampler for a reason?
/2 cents

------------------
Giving it one hunder percent.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
relic (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #37
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Fuck! accidental reply delete and I've got to run.
Changed the name.
Nice one Relic, feel free to PM me any tome man, I'm all ears.
Same goes for all of you.

Doesn't single cycle waves basically turn a sampler into a synth and cut off it's sampling cajones?
Why do that to members who presumably bought their sampler for a reason?
/2 cents
Thanks man! I will work on a PM about all this. Might be a couple days because I want to have a think about it first.

Good point with the sampler and wanting to sample.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: oh wow : ) I'd love to know more about how you would plan to work with either the Micro Granny or that little Moog synth. As far as time frame, again I'm open. I'm still planning on doing a longer, continuous piece that will be performed "live" Elektron style.

If I decided to get a bit of modular going to pair with the A4 the Micro Grandaddy module is high on my list for modules.

As far as what I'm planning I hesitate to say it will sound like a single song. Maybe like a medley? So far the process as been to create a pattern and sounds, do as much as makes sense as far as automation and performance macros, play around with the pattern a bit and move on to the next one. Though when moving on I'm borrowing things from the previous pattern and sounds so there will be this kind of continual transformation. This is all abstract though. But I think you hardware fellows will catch my drift.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Chozo Tull (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #38
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410
Re: Hardware "One Box" Challenge

I'm actually having a lot of fun with this. I keep having to stop myself from cheating. All my boxes are single purpose jamming machines with no real arrangement features, so I'm thinking things like "how about just jam for a while and cut it up into a song afterwards" or "using this to sequence that only counts as one box, since only one is producing sound" and now that fx pedals have been outlawed I'm thinking "what if I feed this synth through my guitar amp - thats not a pedal!" and "the compression and EQ on the mixer surely doesn't count as FX".
Fun little puzzle!

------------------
my drawings/music/videos/stuff: http://www.floodcomics.com/
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #39
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Near Paris

They are the only boxes I own :3 well the moog is on his way ...

Actually now that I think of it I might be disqualified because I intended to write stuff only using sounds from these things but arranging them in a computer, or using a sequencer with the werkstatt + looper. MicroG + looper as well was my thoughts.

I don't own any production station which would allow me to pump a track all ITB monomachine-like so these were my options, and now like a silly child I realise I might have misunderstood the point of this thing all along :3

------------------
Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #40
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefish View Post
I'm actually having a lot of fun with this. I keep having to stop myself from cheating. All my boxes are single purpose jamming machines with no real arrangement features, so I'm thinking things like "how about just jam for a while and cut it up into a song afterwards" or "using this to sequence that only counts as one box, since only one is producing sound" and now that fx pedals have been outlawed I'm thinking "what if I feed this synth through my guitar amp - thats not a pedal!" and "the compression and EQ on the mixer surely doesn't count as FX".
Fun little puzzle!
Yea. I think everyone should push forward. I think the real spirit of the thing is as Auto suggested where everything gets done on a single box--but for someone with your setup that is a bit unrealistic. As someone working on an A4, I could hardly say using all your Volcas together would be "cheating".

This is why I think things need to be left open a tad. For myself a few Volcas and a little mixer seems like way more a challenge than what I can do on my A4.

I'm curious to see what any of the other hardware folks think now that we are kind of back to the original idea and of course there is still the issue of samplers to be sorted.

Advertisements

------------------