The ultimate IDMf Community project? - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

View Poll Results: Add "hype" section for members personal projects etc
yes 30 81.08%
no 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 22-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #161
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533730
Thanked 6,856 Times in 4,882 Posts
Re: The ultimate IDMf Community project?

My vote would be for a higher than average post count (nearing the mid hundreds 300-500) or mod approval. As in you either have the post count or need to get a mod to OK your project (just to be clear). I don't think we should exclude new members with good ideas.

I also agree with scyn that getting out some guidelines, perhaps not rules, would be great. Hell, make 'em rules... I am less inclined to participate in projects where the outcome will essentially disappear after a few months. File hosting, streaming and "publishing" are all super basic web skills. I think 75% of IDMf users could easily slap up something decent looking on the web to archive the results of the projects.

The album writing months have been great, but my time to sit down and go through and listen to everything is limited. If I could download it all and listen in the car or something, that would be fantastic and I would do it and it would help me listen and comment on people's work.

Maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have an official "Community Project's Helper" or two. Not an existing moderator or someone with mod privileges, but someone whose job it is just to give advice in Community Projects, help people write up guidelines for their projects and help them setup some kind of web hosting to archive results.

TBH, I think it would be cool to have an official community projects archive somewhere. But that might require time/money that isn't available.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to relic
Muse-ic (22-06-2014)
Old 22-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #162
brn20
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802473
Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,191 Posts

I'm late to the party by the looks of it, but here's my tuppence:

- the 'Community Projects' section should be housed on IDMf only, and aimed at the participation of members here.
- it could have sub-forums with subjects like Challenges, for stuff like sound design competitions, beat battles, composition within rules etc. Maybe Remixes, which is pretty self-explanatory.
- then the other section , called Super Mega Hype Box which is for stuff that is probably of interest to people at IDMf, but which wasn't necessarily born here or is wider than just the community.

Have I missed loads of discussion and the point? I read a couple of pages but didn't make it the whole way through.

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks
Thanks to brn20
Muse-ic (22-06-2014)
Old 22-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #163
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963433
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn20 View Post

- the 'Community Projects' section should be housed on IDMf only, and aimed at the participation of members here.
- it could have sub-forums with subjects like Challenges, for stuff like sound design competitions, beat battles, composition within rules etc. Maybe Remixes, which is pretty self-explanatory.
- then the other section , called Super Mega Hype Box which is for stuff that is probably of interest to people at IDMf, but which wasn't necessarily born here or is wider than just the community.

Have I missed loads of discussion and the point? I read a couple of pages but didn't make it the whole way through.
I think this is great except the other section I would call it outside projects. The very word hype, to me, just encourages spammers.

But yeah I like all the categories.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #164
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026091
Thanked 7,173 Times in 4,463 Posts

Quote:

No, not missed much at all, you've nailed it in a very quick and concise bite-sized chunk.
All the other stuff is just people trying to over-complicate it all with unnecessary new rules and tags and shit we don't need yet imo.
This should be a bit more organic, less forced imo. Let's actually put this IDMf community to the test.
The first real community project is going to be to build up the community tbh, otherwise as Ben's said we're just going to have an empty new section and all this talk will have been for nothing.

Also, if projects want more space to keep their threads together they should just redirect from their main project thread to a group they've started.
Groups can be managed and moderated by the group starter, so essentially "contributors" can handle their own threads and we can't be accused of any bias in thread/post deletion (or not) when there's some silly cat fight (which might become an issue if someone feels they're not getting their contributions worth).

Let's not confuse posting with starting threads.
  • ANYONE should be able to post in either section (IDMf or non-IDMf projects).
  • All members should be able to propose community project ideas
  • Any proposed IDMf community project should go for mod approval and discussion since it's carrying the IDMforums name and represents the forum.
  • Tagged members should be able to start threads for their own projects in the non-idmf projects area.
  • Non-tagged members can also start threads there but they go to moderator approval before getting posted.
  • Members can buy a contributor badge to negate this issue.

I think we'll very quickly start to see the patterns of use and abuse like we always do here tbh.
Nobody will be fooled by a contributor tag if they don't know the members name and they only have 100 posts anyway.
Spammers will still be spammers.
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #165
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421870229
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Any proposed IDMf community project should go for mod approval and discussion since it's carrying the IDMforums name and represents the forum.
I'm confused. I thought we were talking about non-IDMf projects, or have I missed something?

Quote:
it could have sub-forums with subjects like Challenges, for stuff like sound design competitions, beat battles, composition within rules etc. Maybe Remixes, which is pretty self-explanatory.
In my opinion, the quickest way to make sure the section stays dead is to have a bunch of sub-forums.

Better yet, why not make it a rule that you have to label your threads with brackets, like in the LB?

For example:

[remix] the great Vlantis remastering and remixing project volume 1: Kid's Legacy

(Yes, the above is viral advertising for something I'm going to be doing in the near future. )

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #166
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59310
Thanked 1,186 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
No, not missed much at all, you've nailed it in a very quick and concise bite-sized chunk.
All the other stuff is just people trying to over-complicate it all with unnecessary new rules and tags and shit we don't need yet imo.
This should be a bit more organic, less forced imo. Let's actually put this IDMf community to the test.
The first real community project is going to be to build up the community tbh, otherwise as Ben's said we're just going to have an empty new section and all this talk will have been for nothing.

Also, if projects want more space to keep their threads together they should just redirect from their main project thread to a group they've started.
Groups can be managed and moderated by the group starter, so essentially "contributors" can handle their own threads and we can't be accused of any bias in thread/post deletion (or not) when there's some silly cat fight (which might become an issue if someone feels they're not getting their contributions worth).

Let's not confuse posting with starting threads.
  • ANYONE should be able to post in either section (IDMf or non-IDMf projects).
  • All members should be able to propose community project ideas
  • Any proposed IDMf community project should go for mod approval and discussion since it's carrying the IDMforums name and represents the forum.
  • Tagged members should be able to start threads for their own projects in the non-idmf projects area.
  • Non-tagged members can also start threads there but they go to moderator approval before getting posted.
  • Members can buy a contributor badge to negate this issue.

I think we'll very quickly start to see the patterns of use and abuse like we always do here tbh.
Nobody will be fooled by a contributor tag if they don't know the members name and they only have 100 posts anyway.
Spammers will still be spammers.
Thanks for summing that up so nicely. I think those proposals sound pretty reasonable even though I would consider a high post count more reliable in weeding out the spammers than a badge that can be bought for $10 but I also understand that this would restrict newer users with good ideas.

I do still feel like a remix section would be a nice addition to the forums.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #167
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
I'm confused. I thought we were talking about non-IDMf projects, or have I missed something?

the convo is slightly convoluted at the mo, it's a discussion about the new hype area and the community projects area. lolirl's referring to the community projects section there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post

In my opinion, the quickest way to make sure the section stays dead is to have a bunch of sub-forums.
Couldn't agree more
  Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #168
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
»\(░_o)/»
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,899 Posts

while i agree with the most obviously reasonable and pragmatic people in this thread (ben, lolirl, scyn, others), can we also agree (and in my case worry) that having too many subfora generally is an epic fail, in most cases, on this werbsirte?
fidelium is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #169
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59310
Thanked 1,186 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fid View Post
while i agree with the most obviously reasonable and pragmatic people in this thread (ben, lolirl, scyn, others), can we also agree (and in my case worry) that having too many subfora generally is an epic fail, in most cases, on this werbsirte?
Too many yes... But I also find that too little just makes it messy and hard to find stuff.

For example they are pretty straight forward in the Studio section (hardware, sound design and music theory) and therefore seem to work pretty well while I have read posts of people being confused about the ones in the Listening Booth.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #170
brn20
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802473
Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,191 Posts

Yeah, I agree that too many subsections is a bad idea. I only suggested a couple since that seemed to be the consensus, and in any case it might be useful for series of things like the Beat Battles. Or not - I'm not sure it really matters, as long as there aren't too many.

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #171
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42384599
Thanked 5,012 Times in 3,265 Posts

Keep it loose, keep it easy, keep it friendly.

The more you try to lock down and control the more you make it less likely for people to create or join in projects. The more areas people have to look in to find out if stuff is going on, the less likely they are to bother. If the areas are already underused then further locking down forums will just exacerbate the problem.

Please don't home in on the phrase "locking down" for criticism or nit picking. Call it control or management or whatever suits.

I am undecided about a promotion/hype area. While in principle it sounds good, I'm not sure that just by having an area like that will automatically make people flock to it to see what's going on. Case in point: Member release sub-forum - not exactly a buzzing hive of activity. I may have missed something but I'm not entirely sure what a promo area would offer that this doesn't already. Occasionally a member release gets stickied by the mods so that it stays at the top a while. Again not sure what a promo area would offer over this. Nothing wrong with trying it out to see how it goes. Well, easy for me to say, I'm not the one doing the work but my experience of managing other forums is that its not a huge amount of work to create. Managing it on an ongoing basis is another matter.

Maybe to promo something just sticky it at the top of the projects sub-forum and put a bracket [insert promo tag here] in front of it? Perhaps a whizzo new icon that's garish, glaring and makes people go oooh.

Incidentally, "Spotlight" is a better word than "hype". There are probably many more even better and cleverer words.

I'm thinking here of ways to keep management to a minimum while still achieving some kind of objective.

I've not seen any evidence to date that we have an issue with new people spamming the projects area but as I indicated at the start of the thread it may be moderated out before it gets on radar for most of us users. And frankly I may just miss stuff like that in my own dopiness. Again, if you really want restrictions on who can create projects, make it 100 posts minimum, leave it at that and refine if it proves to be insufficient. There's nothing wrong with tuning it further down the line. I have reservations about the various tags being used as criteria as it potentially excludes people that haven't been recognised within the community and yet may still have a great deal to offer.

Lastly to reiterate: the more you lock something down, the more you have to manage it. In my experience, the trick is to exercise a lightness of touch. I way prefer working smart to working hard.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #172
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319

Quote:
im sure the more areas there are the more people post in the wrong areas, therefore it means more work for the mods, but for me, i like things being nicely categorised.
for example, we have the modular section, which is where you might post stuff about DSP functions e.t.c. but it doesnt really belong there and we havent got a section for it.
in that particular example i dont think there are enough people designing DSP functions here to warrant a whole section for it, but when it comes to things like invites to outside projects i think there is enough to warrant its own section.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #173
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Totally agreed. To beat a dead horse, as Ive said it several times in this thread. I am against even, very much against, cutting up IDMf any more than it is...there are tons of pretty much dead sections.

I can get behind the "hype" section and Comm. Projects....not to go off topic but I would be for reducing the number of sub forums if at all possible : )

------------------
Old 23-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #174
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Totally agreed. To beat a dead horse, as Ive said it several times in this thread. I am against even, very much against, cutting up IDMf any more than it is...there are tons of pretty much dead sections.

I can get behind the "hype" section and Comm. Projects....not to go off topic but I would be for reducing the number of sub forums if at all possible : )
Yeah, there's a good few sub sections that could be gotten rid of or merged with others IMO
  Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #175
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
Yeah, there's a good few sub sections that could be gotten rid of or merged with others IMO
Perhaps that might be a good one to put on the list after we sort the current issue.

-------

If I am not mistaken it looks like the "hype" section and Comm. Projects is going to happen and we are just deciding who gets to post where?

Has there been anyone that was against some kind of post count or tag or approval needed to post in either section? I just ask because it seems to me we might be ready for another vote of some type. It seems to me almost 100% of members discussing this seem to be onboard with some kind of restriction for posting unless Ive missed more than I thought.

------------------
Thanks to relic
RFJ (23-06-2014)
Old 23-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #176
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

I recognize the gentelman from Ohio and second the motion to vote on specific requirements for making new threads in both sections.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #177
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Let's not start bringing up the next issue before we've finished this one please.

The vote was simple and we got an answer.
Over 3 times as many people voted yes for the "hype" area.
Democracy in action.

The hype area is not intended as a place for people to flock to btw Stercogburn, it's just an area for people to post about stuff you lot might be interested as musicians & music lovers but which isn't an IDMf-based project.
What it offers that the members release section doesn't is the opportunity to post about things which aren't releases, such as remix contests, music blogs, dj & live sets etc. Stuff which we currently often get criticised for regarding as spam and deleting basically. We'll still be deleting regular spam (like random DJ store gear price lists) but we'll be relaxing a little on genuine external music related projects.
Old 23-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #178
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Fair enough...

Being as the vote is settled what, then, is still pending? More suggestions for post count requirements maybe?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #179
lolirl
Administrator

I think we're pretty much there tbh, just giving it a bit more time in the interest of perceived fairness so that nobody feels like they didn't get a say, but unless anyone has any major issues with what's been proposed then I think we have a decent set of criteria for posting in these sections.
Old 23-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #180
Benwaa

Quote:
Let's not start bringing up the next issue before we've finished this one please.

The vote was simple and we got an answer.
Over 3 times as many people voted yes for the "hype" area.
Democracy in action.

The hype area is not intended as a place for people to flock to btw Stercogburn, it's just an area for people to post about stuff you lot might be interested as musicians & music lovers but which isn't an IDMf-based project.
What it offers that the members release section doesn't is the opportunity to post about things which aren't releases, such as remix contests, music blogs, dj & live sets etc. Stuff which we currently often get criticised for regarding as spam and deleting basically. We'll still be deleting regular spam (like random DJ store gear price lists) but we'll be relaxing a little on genuine external music related projects.

^^this, this and this again.

We don't need to vote on anything more on it really. I think it seems reasonable what's been brought up and the general feeling is that badged members get to post in the hype section, if you don't have a badge and have been here a while then ask a mod, if not then pay for a supporters badge that will give you the privileges to spam that section.

that's how it's gonna be cos that's how the main contributors to this thread have leaned towards. We can't keep going in circles or in true IDMf fashion we won't get anywhere at all.
We're not going to have sub forums for any of it because as pointed out that's a good way to have dead sections. If you have an outside project be prepared to have to keep your thread going in amongst all the other promo stuff in the same section. we'll be merging parties, events radio shows with it too to ensure it's more active

so, in non true IDMf fashion, i think we can round it up here on the hype section AND the community projects section too and get this stuff implemented sooner than later.

We'll get onto further developments for the forum soon in this thread.

New discussion
Next section we're going to tackle is the genre sections (oh god) so hve a think and discussion on those perhaps?
please don't think we're going to change those sections names or add more btw, my thoughts are to remove the releases sections from each one and just have a board wide releases section for that as they're rather dead individually

thoughts?

Advertisements

Thanks
Closed Thread