July game making month! (Other contributions required) - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 23-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #41
Leelius
Radial Developer
Leelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4460
Re: July game making month! (Other contributions required)

Guh, stuff like this is always so interesting. I wish I had some proper knowledge in order to do stuff like this.

I have a small project I focus on whenever I have too much free time. It's more or less me learning actionscript and flimsy animation.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I originally wrote the code from a step by step tutorial. Then I couldn't get that background thing to work, got confused and just went to download the working code in order to move on to animating the character. I can't really take credit for anything else, but for that horrible character I made.

I suppose I should figure out how to make that guy do stuff, other than jump and run. I haven't even found a way to add sound to the code.

Advertisements

------------------
Leelius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #42
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269459008
Thanked 2,708 Times in 1,810 Posts

Try an engine without coding, there's a few of them that are free!

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #43
RaidenBeats
Fuck 'er Right N Da Pussy
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 41760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Yeah I sort of figured animations would be in that list. I have never really done them aside from what I'm doing with cartoon mouths right now and even that is hard. Might have to pass mang.
animations only need to be 4 frames each.
1 animation for flying regularly (only 3 frames for this one, all that needs to move is the propellers)
1 explosion animation
1 LARGE explosion animation (each only needs to be 4 frames)
1 enemy animation (also only 3 frames because all that needs to move is the propellers )
and if you would want, an animation of each plane breaking in half and falling (and by falling it would just be getting smaller) but thats optional.

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #44
RaidenBeats
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
As in you coded an engine from scratch or you wrote platformer scripts for an existing engine? Cos thats two very different things and I would be impressed if you actually did the former.
well, i used GML (game maker language) from game maker studio. but the collision, movement and all that jazz is mine.

so, i THINK i did? im not really sure...

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
Old 23-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #45
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBeats View Post
well, i used GML (game maker language) from game maker studio. but the collision, movement and all that jazz is mine.

so, i THINK i did? im not really sure...
Nah, Game Maker is the engine, what you're doing is making scripts to manipulate it.

Not that that makes it any less cool that you learned how to code. I was just curious, I was gonna ask a bunch of questions about what frameworks you used and stuff ha. I tried to build my own engine from scratch a while back, but the amount of effort involved is pointless for my purposes when theres tools like Gamemaker and Unity out there.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #46
RaidenBeats
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream

nah, im not THAT good yet lol

------------------
Old 23-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #47
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

For what it's worth... I'll be making an 'engine' myself. I will make my game completely in Java with the help of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
to handle visuals.

Processing is a library that offers a lot of easy methods to draw and update basic shapes and more. It can also handle keyboard and mouse input. So in a sense that is the real engine, but I will still have to do all my game logic (collisions, movement) myself.
My game won't be a very active game though, right now I'm planning to make it a top view puzzle thing, focussing on atmosphere.

Processing is very easy and fun though, you should download it and try it out if your interested in generating graphics with code. It's a very intuitive way to learn coding, it's actually made to be used by graphics artists that can't code yet
It allows you to do stuff like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 03:58 AM   #48
RaidenBeats
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream

so ive been thinking, if there is anyone artistic who can draw, i dont need my artwork to be low resolution, i think im going to go for a high quality drawing (at least for the main character)
so if someone could draw me a fighter jet or space ship of some sort. (only a single frame is needed at the moment) it has to be a top down view and look badass as fuck.

------------------
Old 24-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #49
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

That and ironing out the bugs will be the hardest part I'm afraid...
I'd love to make a music game for JGMM, but most likely it will be a Space Invaders clone or a Pong clone with an IDMf twist or two.

------------------
Old 24-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #50
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Automageddon (and others): could you elaborate a bit on the organisation of game making month in general? Like what is the real intention/goal? Are we 'allowed' to start yet and is it supposed to be finished by the end of july? How would you suggest the participants post updates?
I don't think there need to be a strict set of rules but just like some more guidelines to make it clear for everyone involved.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #51
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

The idea is to keep it as simple as possible. The goal is not to make the most astonishing and polished game but to make a game and finish it by end of July. You can start now if you want, how could I prove otherwise?
As for progress, ideally weekly updates in the form of the current build, game plan, ideas.
You need to share something as this will build expectations in the other participants thus putting more pressure on you.
Basically have fun while making a game.

------------------
Old 24-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #52
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941881
Thanked 5,674 Times in 3,576 Posts

Quote:
so ive been thinking, if there is anyone artistic who can draw, i dont need my artwork to be low resolution, i think im going to go for a high quality drawing (at least for the main character)
so if someone could draw me a fighter jet or space ship of some sort. (only a single frame is needed at the moment) it has to be a top down view and look badass as fuck.
I just pilfered it from Gradius, but it can easily be used as placeholder until something original is made. I could make an easy design based off this but not the same.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
RaidenBeats (25-06-2014)
Old 24-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #53
Xenon
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

Quote:
I could also help. I like doing this kind of stuff. I saw Numerical designed you a pretty bad ass ship!

Edit: Only saw the pilfered part now

Last edited by Xenon; 24-06-2014 at 07:28 PM..

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Xenon
RaidenBeats (25-06-2014)
Old 25-06-2014, 04:54 AM   #54
RaidenBeats
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream

Well that ship looks badass. I definitely need as much help as i can get xenon

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

------------------
Old 27-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #55
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

Gentlemen, start your engines, July officially starts on Tuesday, first update due Sunday 06/07 at the latest.

I've been toying with a few ideas, they weren't that much fun, so I'm doing changing things a little, but it will still be a Noob Invaders game...

------------------
Old 27-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #56
RaidenBeats
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream

so anyone wanna help me with the art?

------------------
Old 27-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #57
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

Hopefully once we'll start posting a few things, we'll get more interest.
If you know anyone on here good with images, try sending them a PM, they might have ignored the thread but still willing to help

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
RaidenBeats (27-06-2014)
Old 28-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #58
Xenon
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

Quote:
so anyone wanna help me with the art?
I will do yes. I'll have something for you on Tuesday latest, if you'll be willing to wait. I first had to install my software and get my stuff together... I'll even do some 'bullets' and misc objects if you want, just say what theme you have in mind..

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Xenon
RaidenBeats (28-06-2014)
Old 28-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #59
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

I started working on mine last night and the current version is below.
Notes:
- Save the Noobs from the Trolls, touch the noobs to save them, shoot the trolls to ban them
- Move with arrows, shoot with Z
- You still can't die, I'm still deciding how to handle health, but in theory the Trolls (red things) will damage you
- Still lots to optimise
- All audio made with my mouth only
- All graphics happily stolen from this forum

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Automageddon; 29-06-2014 at 09:39 AM..

------------------
Old 28-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #60
RaidenBeats
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
I will do yes. I'll have something for you on Tuesday latest, if you'll be willing to wait. I first had to install my software and get my stuff together... I'll even do some 'bullets' and misc objects if you want, just say what theme you have in mind..
i dont have a sert theme, just make sure all the artwork looks like it came from the same place

and thank you!!!

Advertisements

------------------