How do YOU start a track? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 27-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #41
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC
MC Status: 38420
Re: How do YOU start a track?

I usually start with a super clean dry lead sound, like a piano or sine lead, and try to lay out some good melodies and the flow of a song. I find that creating melodies is usually the hardest part for me, so I like to make sure that's solid before getting sucked into sound design, drum programming, and engineering. I have to exercise self control with this, otherwise I'll get super distracted with all the fun glittery stuff. I know if I move too fast into the sound design aspect without having a core song, I usually won't finish the track.

Advertisements

------------------
strkssinthes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 10:57 PM   #42
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

I usually start by taking a big shit and dropping some heavy business in the sequencer.

Perc is usually the starting point and I'll often open up something like Battery 4, whack in a bunch of samples which I can use to fit around a kick and snare rhythm. I'll often cut up audio, even if it's bits of odd noise or a vocal or background hiss or what ever just to chop up and place around the sound to generate something more unusual and often organic.

This isn't always the case of course.

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Optimal Prime
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 28-09-2016, 04:02 AM   #43
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJulius View Post
So I sat down in the studio the other day with a producer friend to collab. The first thing he said was

"what kind of emotion are you feeling for this track?"

Personally, I've never been able to start a track this way. Maybe it's due to a lack of music theory and not knowing the relevant scales etc.. or maybe not at all! It's definitely got me thinking a lot about the differences in creative process.

It's tricky to explain the way I work, as I visualise a kind of sound-scape scene in my head and add more detail to it through adding new sounds. It's definitely a sinesthetic experience.

So I'm intrigued, how do YOU guys start a track?
I'm usually approaching a piece of my work with anger and humor combined. It usually comes down to the drums for me. I'll start off with polka or blast beats and add a synth/one shots. I used to crank the tempo up and sync quarters and 8ths. Then I got bored and I'd start doing all sorts of stuff in straight 16ths. Lately I've gotten crafty and tried making drum beats I typically wouldn't try (djent style etc) and syncing the synth with the kick and transients.

So i start off with drums most times.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 28-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #44
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8560

remove humor and all you will get is 4x4 beat

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D42K732202
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 28-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #45
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Sometimes. Idk, I feel like a lot of my older material sounded more alive than things I come up with now.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 28-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #46
disftiva
Learning The Ropes
disftiva will become famous soon enough
Auckland
MC Status: 60

Coffee, lots of it...

...seriously though, lots of coffee and then maybe some drums or a nice little 16th note sequence through some chords. Usually the best ideas tend to come out after I've been listening to other tracks for inspiration.

Last edited by disftiva; 28-09-2016 at 02:06 PM..
disftiva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to disftiva
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 28-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #47
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of light
Athens
MC Status: 460

I personally sometimes begin with just an intro, then i create the beat. Sometimes I start by first making the beat then the other track. And finally sometimes I just make a drop which later on is in the middle of the track. There is no specific way to start a track in my opinion, all you need is some creativity and not force yourself to create something.

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/nosferatu
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to pavleas
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 29-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #48
Cepheid
Learning The Ropes
Cepheid will become famous soon enough
Sacramento California

I always start with the drums. I like playing melody/harmony to a drum track as opposed to a metronome. Then I just let the track kind of build itself and layer stuff.
Cepheid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Hydrus
Thanks to Cepheid
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 29-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #49
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

depends on how the drums are influenced on the track

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NewWorldOrder
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 04-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #50
Fabiodiana
Learning The Ropes
Fabiodiana will become famous soon enough

Hello everyone!
Usually I prefer to start a new track from the melody. Generally use a simple preset (Nexus).
this because for me the melody is the main part of the track. If the melody is amazing, probably the the result will be better.

Best,
Fabio
Fabiodiana is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Fabiodiana
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 05-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #51
synkrotron
Analog Lurker
synkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant future
Warrington
MC Status: 1560

An interesting topic, for sure.

My approach appears to be more common than I thought.

I don't write "conventional" songs to be honest. I've never been inspired by emotions or events. I wish that wasn't the case but I just don't have the skills.

My inspiration comes from sounds. Always has done, even before I ever thought of creating my own stuff.

So I will often start a new project and start messing in one of my soft synth, see if anything grooves my truffles.

I may start with a preset in Absynth and then tweak it so that it isn't easily recognised.

Effects are important to so I will often spend time experimenting with different stuff to see if anything interesting develops.

Doesn't always produce results but it is what I have always done.

If i do go into my DAW with any preconceived ideas then it is usually because I have been inspired by something else I have heard.

Or I may decide that I want to create a happy sequencer tune or a dark ambient sort of thing.

Cheers

andy
synkrotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to synkrotron
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 07-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #52
tivoli
Minor Glitch
tivoli will become famous soon enoughtivoli will become famous soon enough
Moscow, Russia
MC Status: 110

Its always different. Sometimes you listen to some music, and then an idea comes to your head. Sometimes you open the DAW, start to play with different instruments and something comes out. It's always different
tivoli is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to tivoli
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 08-12-2016, 12:39 AM   #53
Ten Speed Audio
Learning The Ropes
Ten Speed Audio is currently spamming hard
Calgary
MC Status: 10

Generally I start by building some core rhythms with 2-3 layered drums racks.
From there I sound design basses and plop em on.

From there it could go into acapellas, chords, or anything really.

Always lots of tea or coffee.
Never listen to much music, less influence bleeds in.
Ten Speed Audio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #54
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5660

I usually start by step-sequencing a bassline or twisting guitar tabs of a song like into some unrecognizable synth line, then lay down bass, then simple drums...2 or 3 pieces from a basic kit, then pads....then I give up cuz I suck.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to oDDgOD
D42K732202 (17-12-2016)
Old 25-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #55
Chestnutjam
Learning The Ropes
Chestnutjam will become famous soon enough

Starting with drums rarely works out for me,

so first off I play with synths.

Once I got VSTs, tracks just bursted out like diarrhea. I like presets as I'm no good at creating decent sound from scratch, so a little tweak, knob or effect is good to turn the preset into my own sound.
Chestnutjam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #56
TheStumps
Soundwave Mangler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 4610

I start, often, in my pocket book of graph paper.

------------------

TheStumps is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 12:55 AM   #57
Taaz
Radial Developer
Taaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MC
North Dakota Eh
MC Status: 26008

I'm pretty new to this but basically start with a chord progression then find a bassline sound by turning knobs like a monkey and build a bassline in tune with the chords then find a lead sound by turning knobs like before and make a lead in tune with the bassline then right click some knobs and automate the same filter every time and its basically a track.

Last edited by Taaz; 18-01-2017 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: removed commas

------------------
Taaz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Taaz
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 21-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #58
Biodiode
Learning The Ropes
Biodiode has a spectacular aura aboutBiodiode has a spectacular aura aboutBiodiode has a spectacular aura about
near Blackpool
MC Status: 210

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
- thanks for sharing those.

I usually start with picking a key and then coming up with a chord progression. Normally this turns out to be the main part of the tune. Then it is case of coming up with alternative progressions for the beginning and breakdown section.

Once this is in place the tune just tends to write itself for me.
Biodiode is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: mexican death metal
Thanks to Biodiode
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 22-01-2017, 12:26 AM   #59
TheStumps
Soundwave Mangler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 4610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodiode View Post
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
- thanks for sharing those.

I usually start with picking a key and then coming up with a chord progression. Normally this turns out to be the main part of the tune. Then it is case of coming up with alternative progressions for the beginning and breakdown section.

Once this is in place the tune just tends to write itself for me.
Pretty much about how it usually goes for me.
Most of those above are the rhythm instrument's progression, with the main notations in my notes being focused on the arrangement order and the rhythm itself (those little -, |, and x marks are shorthand notes for rhythm behavior and I usually leave a note to myself about how long of a duration each square is so I can recall what kind of rhythm pattern I was thinking of).

And like you said, the rest tends to flow mostly naturally out of this baseline.

Sometimes, however, I might have a little 2 bar melody first and then go looking for the rhythm section arrangement to support it.

Cheers!

------------------

TheStumps is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheStumps
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #60
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
Midlands
MC Status: 9110

For me, its about the beat. When I've got a good 32 bars worth with fills and decent variance, thats when I will start adding synths... usually make the main hook and riff, then pad it all out a bit after.

Main section of the song comes first - intro, breaks and outro are the last parts of the track I work on except for mastering (which ironically takes up like 90% of the time when finishing a track off... electronic music isn't ever complete is it?)

Advertisements

Neuralsphere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Silence
Thanks to Neuralsphere
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)