How do YOU start a track? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #81
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193
Re: How do YOU start a track?

1 - I usually start by wanting to play a little bit over a simple drum/snare pattern. Not that I'll use them but horrible timing and stuff, without a basic drum pattern.

2 - Build a loop of maybe 16 bars. Maybe add some variations.

3 - Realize I'm now stuck in a loop that I've been messing with for hours. Turn the project off.

4 - Come back later, deactivate or delete stuff and play something else, possibly add new instruments.

5 - Realize I'm still stuck in a damn loop...Leave again.

6 - Come back again. Now hopefully have multiple different midi clips to pull variations from. Build a bigger loop.

7 - Never come back again.

8 - The end.

PS - Other than the joking bits. This is how I usually start projects. By building layers into a loop. Hopefully by building enough variations and instruments to get time laid down. If I get stuck, I just come back later and deactivate some stuff and play some more. Speed up or slow down my drums, etc.

See where it gets me. If that doesn't work, I'll start projects with failed bits from other projects with some drums and start playing again.

Advertisements

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
Daggit (14-09-2017)
Old 14-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #82
DeadCat
Minor Glitch
DeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really nice
South
MC Status: 360

The track starts with inspiration, a question I am struggling with. Specific sound or motif haunting in my head and wanting to get out. To me the question is not how it starts but when did it all started?
DeadCat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #83
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

Back in the days when I used hardware, I'd start by playing my drum machine and then slowing it down to the tempo I could overdub melodies and harmonies at. This meant using the tempo dial on my hardware sequencer.

You might think this isn't very deep at all, but that one thing (setting the tempo dial to match the idea in my mind's tempo) was crucial, and I haven't found a software equivalent yet.

Back then, I daisy-chained all my MIDI gear, and even my hard disk recorder had a good MIDI sync function of both master and slave.

These days, this is the biggest point of struggle for me, because the ideas in my head come really fast in a wide variety of tempos, and if I can't record them fast enough I lose the ideas.

In software, I can change the tempo to match my recorded ideas, but it takes a lot of technical work and makes me lose inspiration. So the moral of the story is, if you have a hardware sequencer, HOLD ON TO IT!!!

Advertisements

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote