Need some help in IDM drum programming
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 30-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
huye
IDMf's latest spammer
huye is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Need some help in IDM drum programming

I used to write techno with ease but now that i'm getting more and more into idm, i can't seem to get the drum patterns right. I tried to chop up breaks didn't get anywhere. I tried to synthesize some drums in reaktor and lay down a fast paced drum track, a little bit like the newest vsnares album or some drukqs era aphex twin, but it just sounds like complete shit. I have tried looking up some tutorials but i still can't get idm style drums right. Anyone have any advice to give me?

Advertisements

huye is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3463455
Re: Need some help in IDM drum programming

If you can be bothered learning a new DAW and a whole new way of writing music you may want to try using Renoise, which is used by Venetian Snares and Drukqs was largely made using tracker software.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538530
Thanked 6,952 Times in 4,946 Posts

It might be worth your time to learn to program some classic breaks like the amen, apache, funky drummer etc so you get a feelfor breakbeats.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
huye
IDMf's latest spammer
huye is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
If you can be bothered learning a new DAW and a whole new way of writing music you may want to try using Renoise, which is used by Venetian Snares and Drukqs was largely made using tracker software.
Renoise is actually my main daw, been using it for about 6 months now.
huye is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39760

You might get a little further by posting an example after you've reached 30 posts, particularly in the LB. People on here are usually more than happy to help you pinpoint what it is you're lacking in / need to improve on. It also helps to be able to hear what you're talking about instead of imagining it.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
relic (30-08-2017)
Old 30-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538530
Thanked 6,952 Times in 4,946 Posts

OP if you post an example I will embed the track for you. Just "thank" me here so I see it for sure. If I get my mod permissions in time for it to be relevant I will try to edit your OP and just add the example track.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #7
Iyashi Sound
Analog Lurker
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3810

If I loose my way with complex drum programming, I sometimes return to lessons for acoustic drum set, like paradiddles or drop1-variations for example, just to remind myself what I'm doing and where it originally came from.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
SaneTBP
Minor Glitch
SaneTBP is a glorious beacon of lightSaneTBP is a glorious beacon of lightSaneTBP is a glorious beacon of lightSaneTBP is a glorious beacon of lightSaneTBP is a glorious beacon of lightSaneTBP is a glorious beacon of light
Espoo
MC Status: 510

Definitely something I'm learning at the moment too. The best way is to find good grooves with drum breaks and add some complexity to those, I find from what I have dabbled with so far.
SaneTBP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39760

Cut up a long string of breaks on a 1/4 note level and trigger them out of sequence. Instant breakcore / IDM drums, best done in live on a drum rack with a launchpad when you're out of other ideas

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
relic (11-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029791
Thanked 7,247 Times in 4,504 Posts

9/8

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote