Do you get stuck on a song often and how many unfinished tracks do you have? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 18-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #41
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts
Re: Do you get stuck on a song often and how many unfinished tracks do you have?

Yes, but if I get stuck on a song these days I just switch my studio off and do something else, because I used to have a hard drive filled with songs I was never going to finish and frankly it was depressing. I always try and finish what I start now, even if that means I don't go anywhere near my studio for 18 months.

It's easy to fall into a trap of thinking that you should be writing music everyday, finishing a track a week etc, but if you do that and you're heads in the wrong space it will turn something you enjoy into a chore. It's okay to let your creativity lay fallow for a while.

I also think it's been easier for me to do this once I reached a certain level of technical proficiency.

Advertisements

Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kaede
Kyrpto (11-07-2016)
Old 19-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #42
Dark Opera
Minor Glitch
Dark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of light
London
MC Status: 460
Re: Do you get stuck on a song often and how many unfinished tracks do you have?

I understand that. I guess that's different for everyone. I had years of intense production, and years of silence. Making a living as an audio/visual artist also taught me, the hard way, how to manage my creative juices when it's for a client and when it's for me.
I found high expectations and lack of focus the main reasons of blocks and insecurities. I analysed myself when under delivery pressure and when instead it was a personal project: huge difference. Paradoxically when it was for someone else, i was always hitting the spot. When it was for me, i always felt i had to create "that masterpiece i always wanted to compose", which led to several unfinished tracks. So now it's time to take care of all those unfinished projects.
In the end the same sensitivity that leads one to make music, is the same that can stop him, for whatever reason. We are artist for a reason, in the good, in the bad.

Last edited by Dark Opera; 24-06-2016 at 11:05 AM..
Dark Opera is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #43
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4160

All the time and hundreds.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #44
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

I find that it's better to work on subproject data's simultaneously (in parallel) instead of trying to finish each tune serially and linearly. Every time I get burned out on something, I save/quit from it and switch to a different thing to work on, and save the results of that. To make this all work, you need to create separate folders for:

Drums (one-shot drum samples)
Rhythms (BPM-synchable drum loops) - each file has it's BPM in the name
Riffs (BPM-synchable instrument loops) - each file has it's BPM and key in the name
Tones (one-shot tuned instrument samples) - each file has it's key in the name or is tuned to A440
Noises (wierd sounds)
Recordings (long unedited recordings)
Performances (long recordings of improv, capable of being synched to BPM)
Vox (vocal samples)
Tune Kits (any of the above elements ready to be combined together in a single tune)

When you work this way, it breaks down the workflow into easily digestable parts.
So if one day all you can do is drum patterns, then you do that and save them into the Rhythms folder.

Then on another day, all you can do is improv stuff so you record to a click track and save the results into the Performances folder.

Then a different time, all you can do is brief instrumental riffs, so you save those to the Riffs folder.

See what I mean,

Then, when you are in your DAW working on tunes, you can load up the pieces you have nicely organized and incorporate them into old tunes or use them as a basis for new tunes.

Keep the Drums and Tones folders on your OS disk so that you don't lose them, since you probably will use them over and over again, just like your VST instruments.

As you complete tunes, throw away the files that you already used in each tune (unless you need them for remixes).

I hope this helps.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
Kyrpto (11-07-2016)
Old 24-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #45
iamlowtonez
Learning The Ropes
iamlowtonez will become famous soon enough
Kansas
MC Status: 60

ALWAYS, we all make them beats or melodies that only seem to be good for a brief amount of time before I completely lose a concept of what I'm trying to accomplish with it haha so got loads of WIPs that are only good to play on loops for a while XD
iamlowtonez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #46
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

It's been somewhat troubling for me to realise that usually the first musical idea I get is for a chorus or bridge section.
I almost never get the idea for the intro or verse.

This makes it really hard to get started because there's no bridge to get there. I have to really mentally struggle to create the parts before the chorus or bridge. This wasn't always the case. Something in my mind changed over the recent years.

But when I do get over that hurdle, that's when the tune-makeing really takes off.

I'm considering donating my unfinished project pieces as free samples though if anybody can tell me of a decent file host that's free and public.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 12:28 AM   #47
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is a glorious beacon of lightKyrpto is a glorious beacon of lightKyrpto is a glorious beacon of lightKyrpto is a glorious beacon of lightKyrpto is a glorious beacon of lightKyrpto is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
It's been somewhat troubling for me to realise that usually the first musical idea I get is for a chorus or bridge section.
I almost never get the idea for the intro or verse.

This makes it really hard to get started because there's no bridge to get there. I have to really mentally struggle to create the parts before the chorus or bridge. This wasn't always the case. Something in my mind changed over the recent years.

But when I do get over that hurdle, that's when the tune-makeing really takes off.

I'm considering donating my unfinished project pieces as free samples though if anybody can tell me of a decent file host that's free and public.
I'm almost like the opposite. I have no problem coming up with intros but often have a hard time figuring out what to transition it into. This is usually where I get stuck.

Advertisements

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote