Hardware "One Box" Challenge - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #101
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts
Re: Hardware "One Box" Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Ok I just recorded my jam.
All done on the octatrack all from scratch, as in no loops loaded from sample libraries.
It is a huge mess as far as the arrangement goes, and kind of a mess in general. I am listening to it right now with some master bus processing and will be posting shortly.

So as far as making it goes:
Clicky drums are from ruismaker fm sequenced by patterning, sampled into the octatrack
Other noisy percussions are from nave sequenced by patterning as well.
Main 4/4 beat is samples I had taken a while ago from ielectribe IIRC into MPC 1000. Simple 1 bar beat made in MPC and sampled into octatrack.
Bass, pads and a couple other simple sounds are from gadget, also, obviously, sampled.
Then some guitar was sampled using my pedals and bias fx amp sim on the iPad.
Everything extensively chopped and resequenced.
Then some simple "mastering" in ableton live.

Will upload and post soon.

I like the track!. I dont know if it sounds any more a mess than most lower case t techno. To me it sounds pretty good in that regard. I like the glitchy stuff. It continuly evovles while hanging onto some tropes of where it started. Pretty cool sounds going on.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #102
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32210

Lower case t techno? Not sure what capital T techno is?
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #103
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Lower case t techno? Not sure what capital T techno is?
I guess I just mean that a lot of people use "techno" as a general term for any kind of electronic 4x4 music. Capital T Techno is "proper" Techno, though I dont even know what that is really. Im slightly hung over and using regional nomenclature.

Just ignore that bit, its not at all a criticism of nor meant as a alight towards your music in anyway

------------------
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #104
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I guess I just mean that a lot of people use "techno" as a general term for any kind of electronic 4x4 music. Capital T Techno is "proper" Techno, though I dont even know what that is really. Im slightly hung over and using regional nomenclature.

Just ignore that bit, its not at all a criticism of nor meant as a alight towards your music in anyway
I wasn't taking it in that way, I,just thought it was a funny way of putting it!
Thanks to jbvdb493
relic (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #105
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
I wasn't taking it in that way, I,just thought it was a funny way of putting it!
Ok good. Yes, it is a funny way of putting it for sure lol.

------------------
Old 11-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #106
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63060
Thanked 1,261 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:

voila!
Super cool track! It's glitchy in a very groovy way, love it. That's kind of what I think the OT was made for.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
jbvdb493 (11-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #107
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
And here's my "almost-one-box" live jam. Almost as the Octatrack acted as master track (compression) and I used it for some transition effects. The main lead sound is from an A Rytm synth voice, Cowbell classic...

Not too happy with it, but not too shabby either...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Nice job on the mix, everything is coming through clear and crisp. I dont know much about old school electro, but this kinda thing is what I think of. Personally Im on board w the somewhat wonky rhythm. While Ive been digging a lot of four to floor stuff lately, Im still a breakbeat/broken beat junky. Also this is properly dark and moody. Love it!

----------------

I have to admit I really havent gotten a moment to think about my track much. Im having a lot of trouble getting back into the swing of teaching. I prepped to up my game this semester and now every class feels like Im back years ago just learning how to teach. Anyway. Hope I can share something soon. Loving everything going on here so far gents.

------------------
Old 12-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #108
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269476058
Thanked 3,049 Times in 2,021 Posts

I've been listening to it again and that snare on the 2nd and 4th is annoying me to no end...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #109
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

Even though I have an A4 AR and MPC1000 I kinda want to enter this challenge with my Korg ER1

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aikighost
Automageddon (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #110
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikighost View Post
Even though I have an A4 AR and MPC1000 I kinda want to enter this challenge with my Korg ER1
In some way, I've regretted selling all the old school electribes I've owned. Especially the ER-1. Nothing quite like it! Would like to have one back some day.

I'd very much love to here what you come up with aikighost : )

------------------
Old 12-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #111
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
I've been listening to it again and that snare on the 2nd and 4th is annoying me to no end...

Is that its on the 2 and 4 or is it the sound itself?

------------------
Old 12-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #112
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Is that its on the 2 and 4 or is it the sound itself?
Both actually. I think I will just leave a small snare fill every 4 or 8 bars.

I'm now trying to set up a call and response between the glitch/sonar and the lead, maybe glitch playing 3 bars, then lead 3 bars, so I'd have a 6 bars pattern over an 8 bars one...

------------------
Old 12-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #113
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Both actually. I think I will just leave a small snare fill every 4 or 8 bars.

I'm now trying to set up a call and response between the glitch/sonar and the lead, maybe glitch playing 3 bars, then lead 3 bars, so I'd have a 6 bars pattern over an 8 bars one...
I'd be happy to have another listen. Sounds interesting. I really should start playing with poly rhythms. That snare sound you used didn't bother me in the context of the song, it seemed to fit.

------------------
Old 13-09-2016, 12:11 AM   #114
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

Quote:
In some way, I've regretted selling all the old school electribes I've owned. Especially the ER-1. Nothing quite like it! Would like to have one back some day.

I'd very much love to here what you come up with aikighost : )
Listening and tweaking my patterns tonight I realise that my ER1 probably has 5 years worth of weird bass & delay heavy ideas on it any 1 of which I could tweak out and jam on for a 5 minute track.

Now I just need some way to record it....

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aikighost
relic (13-09-2016)
Old 13-09-2016, 03:42 AM   #115
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Alright... here is the promised Balearic Wanker Patio House. I rushed it in a sense that I didn't really put an arrangement together in my head, so some of it may be a bit abrupt and clunky, but I did want to follow true to the challenge and record this track in one session with no editing whatsoever. So, rough as it may be, here you go:

This is a track made entirely within one piece of hardware: an Electron Analog Rytm. I've had the unit for about two weeks, so things aren't yet quite as fluid as I'd like. The track was recorded live into Logic without any additional processing within Logic whatsoever.
It's kind of an unusual vibe, but the samples that I shoveled onto the Rytm just led me down the path towards this somewhat chill melange of classic sounds near and dear to me.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
relic (13-09-2016)
Old 13-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #116
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Alright... here is the promised Balearic Wanker Patio House. I rushed it in a sense that I didn't really put an arrangement together in my head, so some of it may be a bit abrupt and clunky, but I did want to follow true to the challenge and record this track in one session with no editing whatsoever. So, rough as it may be, here you go:

This is a track made entirely within one piece of hardware: an Electron Analog Rytm. I've had the unit for about two weeks, so things aren't yet quite as fluid as I'd like. The track was recorded live into Logic without any additional processing within Logic whatsoever.
It's kind of an unusual vibe, but the samples that I shoveled onto the Rytm just led me down the path towards this somewhat chill melange of classic sounds near and dear to me.
Not my cup of tea, but good production,how do you like your rytm so far?

------------------
Old 13-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #117
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Not my cup of tea, but good production,how do you like your rytm so far?
It's really great. To me, it's strength lies in the flexibility to use samples. The drum synth is ok (kick drum synth is really good!), but doesn't hold a candle to the Tempest, so both quite nicely complement each other. This was a specific concern of mine, as getting the Rytm begged the question of redundancy. The Tempest has 300 samples hard wired into its OS and makes no provisions for adding user samples, which is a really odd choice for DSI to make. Then the distortion, delay, and compression FX leave lots to be desired (that's actually a pretty charitable way of putting it) and there's no reverb. The tempest, however has two OSC with subs and two sample based OSC per voice and six voices. Pitch, amp, filter envelope, two utility envelopes, and two LFOs per voice as well as analog 4/2 pole ladder and HP filters. This is the reason I say it's deeper. The Rytm is easier to use, though, and tbh a bit more fun. Think of a really fast little scooter vs an unforgiving race car.
I wish it had more envelopes and LFOs. Specifically an FX and pitch envelope with S&H and follow mode. It makes up for it with the chromatic mode and scenes. The performer mode seems to easily devolve into a DJ FX mode, but that's probably up to the user to not do (or at his/her peril). This function was used to vary the lead synth to introduce a slight glitch effect (LFO on volume) and filter FX.

Again, the sequencer with sample and parameter lock is awesome. The conditional triggers are great, as they allow for fairly easy introduction of variations, as does fill mode. This part Elektron has done really well. This is how I varied the kick drum track and the vocal samples. Scenes are even better, case in point is the BP sweep on the snare, also used it to switch the vocal track to a melodic pad.

It is the functionality of the sequencer that I personally feel gives this unit an edge over Maschine, which was another consideration. It's really quite cool to put a random LFO on the sample selection or the start/end points of a sample and how easily that creates glitchy musical results (well, depending on the samples you've loaded). Together with the conditional trigs, sample and parameter locks you're looking at a lot of automation within Maschine, which is not fun vs futzing around with a few knobs that you can even use live. That's what you get from dedicated hardware. It's all immediate and playable (at the cost of being rather more specialized).

Again, it's a unit that really sparks creativity. I essentially uploaded a bunch of the sample packs Elektron sells for the Rytm and loaded a bunch that I liked, which included some rougher fare. Plated a simple beat and the track sort of happened. I like that. It's fun, and that's what this is all about.

Sorry it turned out as such an overplayed genre. My goal is to make more use of the 303, if plans don't get derailed again. The squelchy bass sound is sampled from the Avalon.

So, if you want a synth that has its strength in sample based percussion with some built in analog drum synth capability, you're going to want this one. Defo would buy again.

Last edited by liquid_air; 13-09-2016 at 12:42 PM..

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
jbvdb493 (13-09-2016)
Old 13-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #118
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

So that's baleric house I take it.
Old 13-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #119
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
So that's baleric house I take it.
That's the closest genre I thought fit. No? It sounds like any other Ibiza Chillout CD I ever listened to.
Bonus: the wife likes it.

------------------

Old 13-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #120
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Not a clue, I am learning here, lower case t techno and baleric house! I suck at genres!
Cool jam btw!

Advertisements

Thanks to jbvdb493
liquid_air (15-09-2016)