Who's into Soundscapes on here?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:12 AM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181060
Thanked 3,621 Times in 2,700 Posts
Who's into Soundscapes on here?

Who's into Soundscapes on here? Does anyone like making them themselves? If we had brother /sister thing to the Beat Battles on here, but for Soundscapes..would anyone be interested in taking part on a regular basis?

Just asking, as..well, I'm thinking of starting something like that on here..but I want to see if there's a enough interest for it to fly before I do.

Here's a few examples below of the kind of thing I'm talking about..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

(Cheeky inclusion )

Please post letting me know if you are.

Last edited by A.M; 11-11-2017 at 08:31 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:01 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538130
Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,941 Posts
Re: Whose into Soundscapes on here?

I might give it a go. No way I can do one a week. But Ive been looking fir a reason to explore some soundscape design on the A4.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21010
Re: Whose into Soundscapes on here?

I'd like to do it a few times at least to learn some stuff, but I probably wouldn't be a regular participant. Still, I hope you figure something out, I'd like to get to do it a few times!

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39460
Re: Who's into Soundscapes on here?

Make them, love them, would sign up to soundscape / ambiance battle immediately

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Thanks guys for the replies..at least we have possibly two "casuals" and one "regular" right now, which is better than having none at all. Hopefully those numbers will grow and more will post their interest here.

For the record, I'm thinking along the lines of it being a monthly thing..two or three weeks to produce and a week to vote who we think deserves to win..with maybe an "special" annual one, open only to those who took part during the year, offering a prize (software more than likely) that would be relevant to production of the genre.

On top of that, there's also the certain release of a yearly album of collected works..the "best of the best" for that year, that we could slap up on BC and offer as a free digital download..or possibly release through the IDMf net label..though that's just a floating idea and I haven't even approached or even mentioned that to anyone involved yet, so don't take the mention of BC as being any sort of slight on our own lable..the exact opposite actually. Anyway, it's early days yet and these are all only me spit-balling ideas on here, with nothing set in stone.

If anyone has any ideas of their own about any of this, then please feel free to shout em out here.

------------------
Old 11-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535327
Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,241 Posts

ambient battle!

ha.

how do you decide the winner, whomever falls asleep first????

(dont take that the wrong way, i <3 ambient/drone)

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
how do you decide the winner, whomever falls asleep first????
Very funny..never heard that one before..

Seriously, Chase..you up for this? Do you think you'd be able to fit it in? I know you can be on the road a bit, so maybe you wouldn't have the time, idk.

------------------
Old 11-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535327
Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Very funny..never heard that one before..

Seriously, Chase..you up for this? Do you think you'd be able to fit it in? I know you can be on the road a bit, so maybe you wouldn't have the time, idk.

im headed home in a few hours. will be home for quite a bit of time. I'm down.

:edit: I do a lot of non-recorded looper based ambient "jamming" using Ableton as my multi-track looper for my HW and guitar stuff. I can just you know... press the red button beforehand!

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
A.M (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
im headed home in a few hours. will be home for quite a bit of time. I'm down.

:edit: I do a lot of non-recorded looper based ambient "jamming" using Ableton as my multi-track looper for my HW and guitar stuff. I can just you know... press the red button beforehand!

I'm thinking this would be a more of structured kind of thing, rather tan just jamming or chill ambient.with the use of field recordings and sounds as the main focus or bed track to a piece..and then building a track up from that, but always keeping it minimal, if you know what I mean.

That's not saying you can't incorporate your own jamming into a piece..you can do whatever you like..as long as the end track ends up meeting the outlines set for that particular challenge.

I have a guy based in Hong Kong, who makes field records and he's OK'd me using his stuff for the initial one, if this gets off the ground, but after the first one, well. the winner could supply the next one, the same way it is with the BBs on here.

Anyway, just wanted to be clear about what it is we#re talking about here..and still wondering if you'd be interested in taking part if we do get this up and running.

------------------
Old 11-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538130
Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,941 Posts

I’m kind of up for anything, but I was curious how you were defining soundscape. Sounds like you are imagining a fieldreocrding/sample based thing? Still totally interested.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462008
Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,840 Posts

Have you guys heard of this?

Soundscapes made with no samples

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
A.M (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #12
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Have you guys heard of this?

Soundscapes made with no samples
Cheers..those could really cool. That's kind of what I'm talking about here, but with some low-key ambient music added, that fits the mood of the sound recording, if you follow what I mean.

------------------
Old 11-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #13
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Im kind of up for anything, but I was curious how you were defining soundscape. Sounds like you are imagining a fieldreocrding/sample based thing? Still totally interested.
Spot on, A..the recording would serve as the basis of the piece, but it would be up to develop a piece from there..what they use and how they use it.

I think I should edit the OP here and include a few examples of the kind of thing I have in mind, just so everyone can get a better idea of what it is I'm talking about.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
relic (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526820

I'd be interested, post some examples and put together some proper guidelines and stuff and let's do it
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to agent
A.M (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
I'd be interested, post some examples and put together some proper guidelines and stuff and let's do it
Cheers for the support, dude..but I want to try and get some solid interest going in this before we actually launch it. There's not much point in going through all the motions to just have it sitting there without much support from the community..hence this thread.

Don't worry, though..I'll slap up a few examples here in the first post shortly, but I'm going to give folks a chance to read this thread before I actually start anything officially on here. After all, it's the weekend and that means it can be a bit slow on here, with folks out and about.

That said, I think y the middle of next week we should have a really good idea if we have enough to run with it.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
agent (14-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #16
A.M

OK..I've added some examples to the first post at the start of this thread. They're only meant to inspire and don't taken them as genre or stylistic absolutes, if you know what I mean.

------------------
Old 12-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #17
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 5060

I'll have to give it a shot since improving on ambient is on my project list.

------------------

TheStumps is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheStumps
A.M (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #18
A.M

Cool..so that's another "solid" confirmation of interest.

------------------
Old 12-11-2017, 01:25 AM   #19
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39460

Just spitballing here, but I have a few ideas to contribute:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but similarly to the beat battles we could have a pot of specific field recordings to draw from to use as inspiration for any of the loose 'competition' stuff. Maybe something similar could be just a small part of the grand scheme of everything, but a potentially cool one nonetheless.

I also think this could go far if it was even stretched to encompass soundscapes, drone, noise, and pretty much all of that 'outsider' music that typically colors outside of the lines of a grid. There's a lot of gray area in there, but I think that's kind of what I'm getting at.

I'd also be willing to dust off old decks and do some dubbing for any possible cassette releases, if that ever became a thing.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:49 AM   #20
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 11560

Sure count me in. I do like to dabble in some of the ambients from time to time. Peoples' interest may wane after a few but I think there is enough of us intrigued for it to be going concern for awhile.

Advertisements

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to dada_davros
A.M (12-11-2017)