Performance microphone through DAW?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:03 AM   #1
Harko City
Minor Glitch
Harko City is just really niceHarko City is just really niceHarko City is just really niceHarko City is just really nice
Indiana
MC Status: 360
Performance microphone through DAW?

I like the vocal effects I have in my DAW and would like to use them in real-time (no latency) while my music is playing. Is that possible?
Also to further complicate things, I only have one 1/8 quarter jack that acts as an input or output. So either input or output will have to go through USB. A plus would be a midi controller that I can turn on and off the effects I am using, preferably on the microphone itself.

Advertisements

Harko City is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #2
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 3810
Re: Performance microphone through DAW?

Fairly cheap and easy. You will need to get yourself a mic obviously, and I know everyone going to slag this off cos it's a solution using something made by Behringer, but it should work.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
Harko City (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
Harko City
Minor Glitch
Harko City is just really niceHarko City is just really niceHarko City is just really niceHarko City is just really nice
Indiana

Thanks for the video. It shows.me latency is still a problem I will face if I try to use my computer effects on my vocals.in a live setting. This is an interesting technique that I still may incorporate to play live but it shows me I will need the effects to be hardware.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
tristcarmichael
Granular Poster
tristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nice
Cape Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harko City View Post
Thanks for the video. It shows.me latency is still a problem I will face if I try to use my computer effects on my vocals.in a live setting. This is an interesting technique that I still may incorporate to play live but it shows me I will need the effects to be hardware.
Singing Live vocals at 128 buffer rate is not that bad though. I found percussion and samples for drums I should try push to 64 buffer sample. What DAW are you using though?

tristcarmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
Harko City
Minor Glitch
Indiana

FL Studio is what I use. It's been a long time since I have tried to record directly into FL Studio and maybe the latency isn't as bad as it once was. I am wanting to use it for performance, so it is important that it sounds good as it comes together.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
Harko City
Minor Glitch
Indiana

I've heard using the behringer mixers cause a.low electronic hum. Will the ground lift in a behringer ma400 fix that issue?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've heard using the behringer mixers cause a.low electronic hum. Will the ground lift in a behringer ma400 fix that issue?
Never had that problem with mine, so I can't give you an answer on that.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
Harko City
Minor Glitch
Indiana

It's supposedly if you have it up really loud in a live situation
Old 13-11-2017, 04:51 AM   #9
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
Never had that problem with mine, so I can't give you an answer on that.
If you are getting that hum it is a ground loop. You want to make sure that your entire system is plugged into the same circuit. If it is, you shouldn't have that problem.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
Dr. Sleaze (13-11-2017)
Old 13-11-2017, 04:52 AM   #10
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9410

Quote:
I like the vocal effects I have in my DAW and would like to use them in real-time (no latency) while my music is playing. Is that possible?
Also to further complicate things, I only have one 1/8 quarter jack that acts as an input or output. So either input or output will have to go through USB. A plus would be a midi controller that I can turn on and off the effects I am using, preferably on the microphone itself.
What kind of effects are essential in real time? Just thinking maybe you can solve this with a little outboard gear then further manipulate your vocal once you have it recorded in the DAW.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #11
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
What kind of effects are essential in real time? Just thinking maybe you can solve this with a little outboard gear then further manipulate your vocal once you have it recorded in the DAW.
He wants to use it live too, though. But I'm sure there's a work round, but I'm not a DAW person.
Old 16-11-2017, 01:11 AM   #12
Harko City
Minor Glitch
Indiana

The hum comes from the usb cable, or more specifically the laptop monitor. I have found a video to remedy this by balancing the cable and running it through a usb hub. The latency isn't too bad I think, it's kind of hard to tell, I might have to record a session with my field recorder just to make sure.[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Here's a link to the solution. It's mainly for me to find this video easily when it's time to make the purchase.

Advertisements